[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
PhilmerPhil

[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 4th, 2012, 11:35 pm

World Street Kitchen food truck is opening a bricks and mortar location at the Greenleaf building we all hold so dearly here. http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2012/05 ... aurant.php

The owners of Bar la Grassa are opening a steakhouse at the old Burch Pharmacy. This might be worthy of its own thread if the building undergoes some major renovations.
http://www.twincities.com/jenkins/ci_20 ... lled-burch

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby Tyler » June 6th, 2012, 9:47 am

This will be cool. Love the flavors of everything they do at WSK. I do hope it doesn't mean too much less of Saed and Sameh at Saffron (my favorite restaurant in MSP).

Looking forward to the Isaac Becker steakhouse as well.
Towns!

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » June 6th, 2012, 10:47 am

I would love to see that intersection of Franklin and Hennepin undergo some sort of transformation - those old brick apartments buildigns are very nice - but in need of repair - some new windows, paint, rennovations to the building and lots would really make that an interesting corner.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 6th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Will this be Greenleaf's first commercial tenant?

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 6th, 2012, 7:41 pm

they have moved the nice ride bike station from next to Burch pharmacy to across the street by the dry cleaners. would this have to do with rennovations to the building?

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » October 18th, 2012, 11:24 am

“Upscale Irish pub” planned for Lake Street

October 17, 2012 by southwestjournal

//By Dylan Thomas//

CARAG — Can an “upscale Irish pub” succeed where so many other restaurants have failed?

The four partners behind Morrissey’s Irish Pub think so. They are within days of signing a lease for 913 W. Lake St., home to four separate restaurants since 2007, according to one of the men, Scott Schuler.

Schuler, who is also a partner the Savoy Pizza at 24th & Hennepin, said Tuesday they signed a letter of intent to lease the space with owners in September and aim to finalize their agreement “within the next week or so.” After some remodeling of the 1921-built commercial storefront, they aim to open by “mid-February at the latest,” he said.

Schluer outlined plans for the space at the CARAG Board of Directors meeting, and was joined by a second partner who will also serve as general manager of the bar and restaurant. That man asked not to be identified because he is still employed by another local Irish bar.

The two described plans for an “upscale” pub serving “a traditional menu with an Uptown twist,” including some vegetarian or vegan options alongside Irish classics like shepherd’s pie. They plan to apply for a class C1 liquor license, which would allow for live music.

Schuler said they plan to refurbish the exterior of the building, beginning by blasting off the coat of blue paint currently covering the brick façade, and also add new lighting and signage. History seems to indicate they need some way to attract attention; the list of failed restaurants on the site since 2007 includes Restaurant Miami, After Bar Restaurant, Favor Café and, most recently, Viva Brazil.

A “substantial” remodeling of the interior would include a new bar and flooring and improvements to the kitchen, Schuler said.

Hours of operations are tentatively planned to be 11 a.m.–2 a.m. daily. The partners are in negotiations with a chef, but have not hired one, yet.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 19th, 2012, 12:14 am

World Street Kitchen opening in November. http://www.eatwsk.com/

I hope it's not too expensive, because this will officially become the closest restaurant to my apartment when it opens.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2012, 12:49 am

I hope it's not too expensive, because this will officially become the closest restaurant to my apartment when it opens.
It's great to see some street level retail coming into The Greenleaf. This restaurant will fit right in to the vibe of the neighborhood.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 19th, 2012, 4:51 pm

A few blocks walk for me also. I like that I idea.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2012, 6:48 pm

[quote="Wedgeguy" I like that I idea.[/quote]
Hey my friend , we will have to check the new place out, and then take a construction tour walk of the Greenway ( and maybe drag along Mike)! :)

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 19th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Nightingale is open now at 26th and Lyndale.

Will the new WSK have a bar? If so, good spot for next UrbanMSP happy hour once it opens?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 7th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I see that they have started work on the bar/restraunt that will replace the Independent on the corner of the second floor of Calhoun Square. There is a coming soon sign for Origami on the Ground floor of the Mosaic too.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 7th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I see that they have started work on the bar/restraunt that will replace the Independent on the corner of the second floor of Calhoun Square. There is a coming soon sign for Origami on the Ground floor of the Mosaic too.
Th Calhoun Square tenant is going to be Republic's second location. I'm real excited to have this in a more accessible area than 7 Corners.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 7th, 2012, 5:16 pm

I helped work on the Masonry Design and selections for this space... but shhhh! I'm sworn to secrecy :)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 8th, 2012, 9:17 am

Th Calhoun Square tenant is going to be Republic's second location. I'm real excited to have this in a more accessible area than 7 Corners.
What's Republic again -- a beer joint? I'll miss Independent for sure....I got lucky there once!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 8th, 2012, 9:53 am

I'll miss Independent for sure....I got lucky there once!
You mean, like, the bartender forgot to charge you for a drink?
"Who rescued whom!"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 8th, 2012, 9:53 am

Fancy Burgers and Beer, Kinda Gastro(Hipster)Pub... all in all damn good food and brew.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 8th, 2012, 11:23 am

Or you didn't get herpes?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 8th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Or you didn't get herpes?
HAHAHAHA! Early on I think the Independent was less herpes ridden...

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm

herpes?