[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby seanrichardryan » January 27th, 2016, 10:18 am

Rumor in Saint Paul is that Cheeky Monkey Deli is moving from Cathedral Hill to Calhoun Square. Considering they're always busy, that would be strange. Perhaps its a second location.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 3rd, 2016, 12:04 am

Some thoughts on the Parella space and Uptown restaurants in general:

http://www.eater.com/forums/minneapolis ... ity-crisis

Beware: lots of parking barking

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 3rd, 2016, 12:28 am

I have no doubt BWW would do well here and in many other locations around the city. Really, it's surprising that a locally headquartered chain hasn't made many inroads into the core twin cities. Unfortunately, if Hodges gets her way and passes the working families agenda with the $15 minimum wage you can kiss any chance of expansion here goodbye. After San Fran and Seattle did the same the CEO basically said "Yep, we're done expanding here, have fun driving to the burbs".

http://www.wsj.com/articles/buffalo-wil ... =yahoo_itp

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 3rd, 2016, 9:32 am

Good. It's overpriced crap anyway. Having people be able to afford living is more important than Buffalo wings.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » February 3rd, 2016, 11:20 am

Some thoughts on the Parella space and Uptown restaurants in general:

http://www.eater.com/forums/minneapolis ... ity-crisis

Beware: lots of parking barking
What a load of whining. The vast majority of uptown's restaurants are locally owned. Yes, some may lament the loss of uptown's grittiness; but, it's been replaced with the most walkable, sustainable urban node in the city. Wish to go back to a time when all those new apartment buildings were abandoned warehouses? I think not.

As for BWW, their wings suck. They can stay in the 'burbs.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 3rd, 2016, 11:50 am

Some thoughts on the Parella space and Uptown restaurants in general
Jesus, that article.
I’ve had friends break their leases due to the amount of partying and noise on the weekends.
I'd love to know where her duplex is because when I moved into my house I was shocked at how quiet the place is. Still am. Of course, it probably helps that we have an active block of people who will call the police if the noise gets out of hand.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 3rd, 2016, 2:55 pm

The overall area that gets grouped as "Uptown" is great and the "heart" near Calhoun Square is a great shopping area and urban node. But I think the eating and drinking at the heart of it caters too much to the drunken youth crowd to make a high end restaurant work. I avoided trying Parella until it was too late because I just never felt like going to that area.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 3rd, 2016, 4:31 pm

The overall area that gets grouped as "Uptown" is great and the "heart" near Calhoun Square is a great shopping area and urban node. But I think the eating and drinking at the heart of it caters too much to the drunken youth crowd to make a high end restaurant work. I avoided trying Parella until it was too late because I just never felt like going to that area.
Hmm. Never thought of it as a "drunken youth" node but it's interesting to hear that perspective from those coming in.

It gets back to what we've discussed before: the people who live here are very different from the people who visit. Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights at Lake & Hennepin are really not reflective of what the place is like most of the time. And I do not mean that to be a pejorative. I quite like the different vibes on different days.

I agree with the author that a high-end restaurant here is not going to attract residents. People think of the area as wealthy and parts of it are but large parts are also solidly middle class and below. But parking being a deterrent? C'mon. If someone is eating at a high-end restaurant they aren't going to blink at parking costs.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » February 3rd, 2016, 4:57 pm

Totally agree. Can't remember the last time I was in Uptown proper during the peak hours on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, and I live close and am generally out on the town at least 1-2 nights between Thursday and Saturday. I think I did do carry out from Amazing Thailand once in the past year or so...

I think there is definitely some merit to the idea that the specific location of Hennepin and Lake is no longer on the radar of people that generally patronize higher-end establishments. It just seems like... a hassle, or something. Especially with so many other options.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 3rd, 2016, 5:22 pm

Hmm. Never thought of it as a "drunken youth" node but it's interesting to hear that perspective from those coming in.

It gets back to what we've discussed before: the people who live here are very different from the people who visit. Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights at Lake & Hennepin are really not reflective of what the place is like most of the time. And I do not mean that to be a pejorative. I quite like the different vibes on different days.

I agree with the author that a high-end restaurant here is not going to attract residents. People think of the area as wealthy and parts of it are but large parts are also solidly middle class and below. But parking being a deterrent? C'mon. If someone is eating at a high-end restaurant they aren't going to blink at parking costs.
Yeah I don't mean all the time it's a drunken youth thing. Just when a lot of people might be going out.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 3rd, 2016, 5:34 pm

Totally agree. Can't remember the last time I was in Uptown proper during the peak hours on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, and I live close and am generally out on the town at least 1-2 nights between Thursday and Saturday. I think I did do carry out from Amazing Thailand once in the past year or so...

I think there is definitely some merit to the idea that the specific location of Hennepin and Lake is no longer on the radar of people that generally patronize higher-end establishments. It just seems like... a hassle, or something. Especially with so many other options.
Yea there's a hassle factor that seems unique to that area. I can't completely put my finger on it. On weekend nights too much traffic and drunk guys looking for a fight or to run you over with their Escalade. Day time is nice and weeknights are nice around there.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 3rd, 2016, 7:12 pm

Wider sidewalks, bike lanes, two way conversions, and parklets might send cues to people to linger.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 3rd, 2016, 7:33 pm

I don't think lack pedestrian traffic is uptown's problem anymore.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 3rd, 2016, 9:00 pm

Which is why calming is needed even more now.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » February 3rd, 2016, 10:52 pm

I wish they would get rid of the lane of parking on the north side of lagoon and make the sidewalk extra wide. Then, take out the entire section of Girard between Lake and Lagoon to make a more continuous pedestrian mall.

Condo_Dweller
Block E

Postby Condo_Dweller » February 4th, 2016, 12:40 am

Doing away with parking on Lagoon would be very problematic. Almost all the apartment buildings on Lagoon, The Mall, and side streets have NO PARKING whatsoever, or just a few spots. Most of the buildings were built before the automobile or early part of the 20th century when few people owned them and relied on street cars and walking to get around. I lived for many years in an beautiful old apartment between the Mall and Lagoon. I often had to park blocks away. I agree the sidewalks are narrow for I walked them daily.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » February 4th, 2016, 8:58 am

I wish they would get rid of the lane of parking on the north side of lagoon and make the sidewalk extra wide. Then, take out the entire section of Girard between Lake and Lagoon to make a more continuous pedestrian mall.
Getting rid of Girard between Lake and Lagoon is actually a really good idea. It's really not used much and it wouldn't really affect the businesses on it. You could easily get rid of the light at Lagoon and Girard if you did. You could also possibly even remove the light at Lake and Girard or reduce it to just a one-way pedestrian light unless they wanted to do a pedestrian bridge/ walkway. I'm sure The Walkway would love a walkway leading to their property. ;)

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » February 4th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Expanding on the idea of removing the driving lanes on Girard and converting to a pedestrian walkway... This would be a very good place to put in an elevated crosswalk on Lagoon to calm traffic. I'd keep the light there so traffic stops on a regular basis to allow pedestrian flow.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 4th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Girard can be super-calmed, but it shouldn't be pedestrian only. It provides access from westbound Lagoon to the Calhoun Square ramp without having to circulate through the already congested Henn-Lake intersection, and provides access from eastbound Lake to the Mozaic ramp without additional circulation.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » February 4th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Girard can be super-calmed, but it shouldn't be pedestrian only. It provides access from westbound Lagoon to the Calhoun Square ramp without having to circulate through the already congested Henn-Lake intersection, and provides access from eastbound Lake to the Mozaic ramp without additional circulation.
Rats, very true. I really really liked the thought of shutting down Girard to provide a pedestrian thoroughfare and huge green space. I think the building housing Stella's also uses Girard for freight deliveries.