Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Daymark Uptown (Sons of Norway site) - 3014 Holmes Ave S

Postby QuietBlue » February 24th, 2020, 11:34 am

amiller92 wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 10:37 am
Um. What? Surely a person paying "overpriced" rents spends more in the neighborhood shops than if they lived elsewhere.
They will if they are the right kinds of shops, sure. But they're not exactly going to buy a new Arc'teryx jacket each month, either.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 24th, 2020, 12:16 pm

The Sons of Norway parking lot didn’t exactly have a lot of residents living on it shopping at the neighborhood retail. Whatever the income level of future residents, the neighborhood retail gained.

I have thought for a while though that Uptown’s retail landscape is changing from a regional shopping destination to be a local shopping district, all despite the surround demographic changes.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Put....in....a....BREWERY. Me and my buddies live in the area and spend many friday's in North Loop or NE to hit some breweries. We would be more than happy to stay near our apartments if Uptown put one in. This seems like a guaranteed winner to me. Also agree with the above comment that we are just seeing a transition in the makeup of retail in the area. More people are lively more densely in the area than ever before. Uptown will have a come back, just needs some time for the makeup of businesses to readjust.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 24th, 2020, 2:10 pm

I think a premium outerwear purveyor like Marmot or Helly/Hanson would do well.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 24th, 2020, 11:59 pm

QuietBlue wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 10:00 am
I've said it before, but retail geared towards the daily needs of the many people who live in the area should do quite well.
Like a Lunds, Cub, CVS and mini Target? Just looking at Google Maps the immediate area also has a large gym, library, liquor store, dry cleaners, car repair and FedEx store, plus multiple banks and medical clinics, including a vet. This is in addition to secondary service places like several hair salons, a tanning place, a nail studio, a vaping store if that’s your thing, and several coffee shops. And on top of this there are plenty of “regional” stores that would be quite nice to have around, including a movie theater, yoga and other specialty studios, an Apple store, an independent book store, a running store, Kitchen Window, Penzeys and a makeup store. This is to say nothing of restaurant options ranging from McDonalds to People’s Organic to many “fancy” places. And this is just within a block of Lake Street from Humboldt to Colfax.

So I get the idea, but think it’s overstated.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 25th, 2020, 8:21 am

Didier wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 11:59 pm
Like a Lunds, Cub, CVS and mini Target? Just looking at Google Maps the immediate area also has a large gym, library, liquor store, dry cleaners, car repair and FedEx store, plus multiple banks and medical clinics, including a vet. This is in addition to secondary service places like several hair salons, a tanning place, a nail studio, a vaping store if that’s your thing, and several coffee shops. And on top of this there are plenty of “regional” stores that would be quite nice to have around, including a movie theater, yoga and other specialty studios, an Apple store, an independent book store, a running store, Kitchen Window, Penzeys and a makeup store. This is to say nothing of restaurant options ranging from McDonalds to People’s Organic to many “fancy” places. And this is just within a block of Lake Street from Humboldt to Colfax.

So I get the idea, but think it’s overstated.
Yep, all of that reinforces my point. Those are the businesses in the area that are doing well, and new businesses along those lines would likely do well too. It's the higher-end retail places that don't work there. Well, Apple and Penzey's are higher-end, but they are also the kind of stores that customers visit more regularly and are less reliant on people coming from outside the area. I'm not too familiar with Kitchen Window, but they've been around for a while, so they've probably been able to establish a good customer base by now.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 25th, 2020, 9:15 am

Kitchen Window also provides things that residents need on a somewhat regular basis. I visit there monthly to get stocked up on Nespresso pods and will occasionally buy other things. I think the point is valid - the area is transitioning to resident based uses. Of course some destination shopping could do well here, but it probably needs to be local and unique. Something you can only get by visiting Uptown. For larger name brand companies it's just too easy for people to go to a mall instead.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 25th, 2020, 10:31 am

The medium to high end outerwear cluster always seemed a bit odd to me—everyone knows what size North Face jacket they wear. It’s a category that’s particularly vulnerable to online shopping.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » February 25th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Recreational dispensary? Maybe next year?

Seriously, you have to literally make money hand over fist every single day to pay the fixed costs of operating in a brand new storefront in the heart of uptown.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 25th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Which is 100% the result of the property owners drinking their own kool-aid on Uptown and not pricing their rent accordingly.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”