[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » January 12th, 2015, 11:34 am

Is that the new meme, then? Hard to keep up with you, Wedgeguy. :)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 12th, 2015, 11:41 am

This year it is the brutal cold, verse a few feet of snow to contend with.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 12th, 2015, 6:43 pm

They've been working on it. The scaffolding just came down. They actually had a small backhoe up on the second floor doing the demo. Irony had it, the superior construction of the building allowed them to more easily demo an entire floor in-place and still salvage the first floor.
The building in better days: Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 12th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Schlampp
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 12th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Nitpick: January 2014's average temp was -2.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 12th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Nitpick: January 2014's average temp was -2.
But did we start out with below zero temp as early as November that caused them delays that I don't think they had planned on in 2014? We got very cold very early in the season compared to recent years.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 13th, 2015, 9:07 am

I am not envisioning how this Schlampp building is the same building that had it's 2nd floor removed...it isn't on the corner. Or is that the part of the building on Lagoon that is still 2 floors?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 13th, 2015, 9:12 am

I am not envisioning how this Schlampp building is the same building that had it's 2nd floor removed...it isn't on the corner. Or is that the part of the building on Lagoon that is still 2 floors?
Lagoon didn't extend east of Hennepin back then.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 13th, 2015, 9:59 am

Schlampp's is 1921, the Carling Hotel (Williams Pub) was built in 1925 on the lot to the left. There were once two buildings where Lagoon in now on the right. See the building in a sliver here: http://thomaslowrysghost.tumblr.com/image/82126582243

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 13th, 2015, 10:29 am

What a cute little building! They should bring back those awnings.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Any guesses where this mystery might go?

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2015/01 ... g_soon.php

BREAKING: Spill the Wine closed http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2015/01 ... closes.php

We're about to reach peak vacancy in LynLake. Someone better lease Cause and/or Falafel King soon...

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 13th, 2015, 1:52 pm

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 13th, 2015, 2:03 pm

No surprise there! When they switched to their new chef the food went downhill fast!

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 13th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Tryg's is closing too...

http://www.kare11.com/story/entertainme ... /21700551/

I don't get to uptown much, but from a distance it seems like restaurants in the area closing at a high rate. What's the reason for this? Or am I just imagining it?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2015, 2:45 pm

I think there's a combination of well-timed churn plus speculation (bldg owners holding for higher-paying tenants).

The Tryg's closing doesn't count though, as there is already a large apartment development approved for that site. It was earlier stated that they would reopen in the new development, but that doesn't always work out as planned. I'd actually be surprised if they returned with the same concept.

In Uptown proper, you've got the Social House being replaced with the Cowboy whatevers, which is taking longer than planned (see earlier posts). Then Boneyard, which just sounds like a big fail from Kaskaid. I'm guessing Salsa a la Salsa will stick for a while longer. I guess there's also Bar Abeline, which I'm not sure was even a restaurant. The last time I grinded (ground?) on a strange girl was there, in 2010, so maybe it's ok that it went under.

Over in Lynlake, I think there's a combination of vacancies and speculation keeping things empty.

In total, 2011 to now, I'm pretty sure more places have opened than closed. But yeah, the last 6 months look pretty grim for the restaurant scene, not that I miss any of the closed places or anything. All 4 Thai restaurants are still around, so that's good ;)

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 13th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Bar Abeline was where you went when it was almost bar close and you were getting desperate.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 13th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Tryg's is closing too...

http://www.kare11.com/story/entertainme ... /21700551/

I don't get to uptown much, but from a distance it seems like restaurants in the area closing at a high rate. What's the reason for this? Or am I just imagining it?
Was to spill the Wine a few weeks ago for my first time. So I'm not sure what has change since their Washington Ave day. But I find the small plates a drain on the wallet. While the concept seems to stay around, I prefer a great full course meal served all at once. They seemed to have people there on a Friday evening, but I'm not sure how their other week nights were and how well their Weekend Brunches were doing.

I think a few landlords will have to wait a few more years to get the rents that they think they can get. This is still a Bar and Bistro area and not a fine dining node yet. I see another year of changes before the full affect of the new apartments is seen on the area. Sometimes it is good to get in on the ground floor, and sometime it is better to wait and really see what the market will bear.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 13th, 2015, 4:06 pm

The Tryg's closing doesn't count though, as there is already a large apartment development approved for that site.
From what I've been told, the management at Tryg's has a history of grinding restaurants into the ground. Total mismanagement. See Porky's.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 13th, 2015, 4:44 pm

'Management' is Tryg Truelson. Savvy business sense doesn't always move down the family tree.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 14th, 2015, 12:25 pm

guess there's also Bar Abeline, which I'm not sure was even a restaurant. The last time I grinded (ground?) on a strange girl was there, in 2010, so maybe it's ok that it went under.
Legit LOL. Well done.
Bar Abeline was where you went when it was almost bar close and you were getting desperate.
QFT.

This thread makes me feel old. :ugeek:
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.