Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby Minneboy » December 8th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Having owned a house on 31st west of Emerson and having been on the CARAG Board for I believe 7 years, over 10 years ago. The one thing your neglecting to look at in regards to the various heights of nearby buildings, is they are all north of Lake. This hotel proposal just happens to be south. Anyone know the height of the 4-5 story building on the south side of Lake between Lyndale and Aldrich? Also that building wouldn't be blocking any residential light. I'm completely for the hotel proposal by the way. The area needs one and I think it will help further development in the area. Someday perhaps we'll have a zone alone Lake from Hennepin to Nicollet with similar sized buildings.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 8th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Anyone there now? I'm on my way down.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 8th, 2015, 7:29 pm

WedgeLive just tweeted that it's down to 6 stories. Disappointing.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 8th, 2015, 8:39 pm

So a 33% greater chance this doesn't pencil out and gets canceled, great.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 8th, 2015, 9:03 pm

They're pretty determined. Jim Graves actually seemed a bit offended when asked, "what if the hotel fails". And talked about his $100,000s of a dollars wasted in design. They shortened it to appeal to the people who's only concern is height. They will still be changing the design more and more. Overall it was a really interesting meeting. And even better post meeting.

lovethyneighborhood
Block E

Postby lovethyneighborhood » December 9th, 2015, 11:09 am

I live a few blocks from this proposed development and think it would be an excellent addition to the neighborhood. It certainly would help activate this part of Uptown even further. Most of the activity centers around Hennepin, Lake, Lagoon, and Girard currently.

With the impending Cheapo development and Mozaic East, this project is not only needed but would significantly improve what is there currently. Additionally, it would keep the ball rolling with development on this end of Uptown and hopefully result in something iconic built on the Arby's site.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » December 9th, 2015, 11:38 am

I live a few blocks from this proposed development and think it would be an excellent addition to the neighborhood. It certainly would help activate this part of Uptown even further. Most of the activity centers around Hennepin, Lake, Lagoon, and Girard currently.

With the impending Cheapo development and Mozaic East, this project is not only needed but would significantly improve what is there currently. Additionally, it would keep the ball rolling with development on this end of Uptown and hopefully result in something iconic built on the Arby's site.
Uh oh...you used the "i" word...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 19th, 2016, 11:13 am

CARAG neighborhood has a draft resolution opposing the Graves Hotel. There will be a meeting tonight at 7PM at Bryant Square Park. I'm honestly a bit surprised the board came out of their meeting in opposition. The Graves/design team modified the original to be much shorter, with better landscaping on the rear, and an enclosed valet/drop-off area to limit noise from cars and delivery vehicles (at least, ones that won't just use street parking out front). They stepped the building down from Lake. This all seemed like very good-faith negotiating with the neighborhood, but it still is being opposed.

I'm not sure if there's any way to change the resolution. But this is also going before the CPC on January 25th at 4:30. That might be a better use of our time if they're taking public input. There's no agenda yet, so I'll keep an eye out for it (which will hopefully include the updated site plan).

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 19th, 2016, 11:22 am

F&#king really? There's pretty much zero chance this lot and the ramp lot get developed any time soon with these people running the neighborhood.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 19th, 2016, 11:57 am

Hopefully someone can attend the upcoming meetings and support this project. It would be great and could be made better by constructive community feedback.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 19th, 2016, 11:59 am

Even if the neighborhood is opposed, there's a good chance the city will still approve.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 19th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Even if the neighborhood is opposed, there's a good chance the city will still approve.
Can you explain this more? I'm thinking of writing the CM.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 19th, 2016, 12:08 pm

^Right. The variances aren't outrageous, and the SAP is a bit limiting given the city's broader goals as defined in the Comp Plan. I think people would do better to simply email their CM in support, or testify at the CPC if it allows for it.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 19th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Can you explain this more? I'm thinking of writing the CM.
The neighborhood's opinion of any project is purely advisory to the planning commission and city council.

You'll probably have the most impact if you write the CM whose ward this is in, and even more so if you happen to live in that ward. There remains a tacit agreement that the CM who represents the area has an outsized voice on the ultimate decision (and this probably makes sense to some degree because they'll be the closest to the facts on the ground).

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Has it been the case in practice still that the local CM has more say? I guess it was evident in the last council with Tuthill and Hofstede being opposed to growth in growing places, but has it ever come up this time around where the local CM has moved the council?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 19th, 2016, 12:17 pm

And Bender really likes this project. That's another reason I think this will pass through the city pretty easily. The project also has already been to the CoW and had some support there.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 19th, 2016, 12:30 pm

The developer could still pull the project in the face of the neighborhood pushback, as has happened before on many projects.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 19th, 2016, 12:40 pm

You're not connecting the dots properly. When a developer pulls a project, they may say it's because of neighborhood opposition, but it's really because they've likely spoken directly with CM's and know which way the wind blows. Now, it's possible that a CM who would otherwise support a project may not support it because they feel like there will be political repercussions if they go against the will of their constituents -- and while that may be unfortunate, it also sounds a lot like democracy.

EDIT: Which is why it's important to write directly to the CM in a case like this -- to show them that the neighborhood group doesn't represent all residents, and to give the CM political cover should they choose to overturn the opposition.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 19th, 2016, 5:16 pm

When I was on the CARAG Board in the 90's and prior to 2005, the CM always went with the neighborhood. That's not to say they might oppose a decision and even at times there might be a more wider neighborhood vote. A prime example was when the City of Lake Bank wanted to build their drive thru on the SE corner of Henn/31st.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 19th, 2016, 6:02 pm