Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby Archiapolis » March 4th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Perhaps the city needs to do a better job during the planning process educating people about the SAP as a guide rather than an ironclad set of rules.
These people know that. They're playing politics.
Not sure if they are "playing politics" or not but I'd wager a LOT of money that neighborhoods definitely look at SAPs as more than "a guide". I'd wager a LOT of money that Linden Hills believes their SAP (if it is done/published/etc) to be ironclad. After all, "the neighborhood" wrote it and it's on city letterhead (if it's done, etc) which means the city has approved it and clad it in iron.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 7th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I do agree, Its strange that the people with the most say so are those that will not be around to see it. I think that a hotel in uptown is vary exciting. The real question is, is there anyway to make better use of the parking lot currently occupied by Cub?

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 7th, 2016, 3:41 pm

The real question is, is there anyway to make better use of the parking lot currently occupied by Cub?
Short of redeveloping the entire Cub lot, what would you do? The parking lot itself seems to be fully utilized. It's always full whenever I attempt to shop at Cub (usually late afternoon/evening).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 7th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Obviously, if the lot is always full, they should be charging more for parking.

[Just in case Matt doesn't see this thread.]

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 7th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Short of redeveloping the entire Cub lot, what would you do?
I know parking podium is a swear here, but it would be a way to build something on top of the lot without having to fully redevelop Cub.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 7th, 2016, 5:05 pm

If I were Cub, I wouldn't move from that location (which has to be intensely profitable, right?) unless I had a development nearby to move into first.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 7th, 2016, 5:08 pm

I've only been in there once, but it was the busiest I have ever seen a Cub.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 7th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Planned Parenthood and Acme are due for redevelopment. Whoever does so should try to work something out with Cub as the tenant. Cub would be able to stay close to their existing location so that delivery drivers and current employees wouldn't have to move very far. They'd also have a street front presence along with (hopefully) underground parking. My only hope is that Planned Parenthood stays in Uptown.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 7th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Planned Parenthood and Acme are due for redevelopment.
Are they? PP literally just remodeled their building, and (I'm told) it looks like they spent more than a little.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 7th, 2016, 5:21 pm

I'm just judging it based on being in the middle of an activity center that's been busy with development lately. Maybe the Acme side could be developed for now.
Last edited by grant1simons2 on March 7th, 2016, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 7th, 2016, 5:23 pm

It would be super easy to combine these two into mixed use buildings in the area.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 7th, 2016, 5:33 pm

I'm just judging to based on being in the middle of an activity center that's been busy with development lately. Maybe the Acme side could be developed for now.
Okay, yeah, I was just wondering if you had some insider info. It would certainly make a lot of sense for this block to be the next domino to fall, but I have to imagine PP is pretty loath to move. They own this building and (AFAIK) their other TC locations, so they would probably have to own whatever building they moved into too. Even in Minnesota, I bet a lot of commercial property owners are leery of tenants who could provoke that kind of backlash.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 7th, 2016, 5:40 pm

And presumably PP isn't paying property taxes, so that's one less incentive for them to redevelop.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 7th, 2016, 5:47 pm

PP owns their building, and doesn't pay tax. But the parking lot out front (all .13 acres) is owned by someone else, and pays a bit over $6k in property taxes. Both buildings also have a special assessment this year for about $4000, not sure what that is.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 7th, 2016, 7:14 pm

The Arby's plot across the street from the hotel poses an interesting proposition due to its unique and small footprint. It'd be kind of cool to put our own little space needle there. No, not a monolith like Seattle. Maybe just a little taller than the hotel and Buzza Lofts. Something that stands out, but without much weight. Something with a pedestal base would keep all the sight lines at Lagoon/Lake/Dupont open and keep things from feeling too claustrophobic once total redevelopment of the entire area has run its course. An attraction, but not something that attracts too many. A local defining monument that sits central to Uptown and LynLake. But, a functional monument (restaurant on top?) with a nice little south Minneapolis observation deck. Crazy, but it'd be neat.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » March 9th, 2016, 12:42 pm

The Arby's plot across the street from the hotel poses an interesting proposition due to its unique and small footprint. It'd be kind of cool to put our own little space needle there. No, not a monolith like Seattle. Maybe just a little taller than the hotel and Buzza Lofts. Something that stands out, but without much weight. Something with a pedestal base would keep all the sight lines at Lagoon/Lake/Dupont open and keep things from feeling too claustrophobic once total redevelopment of the entire area has run its course. An attraction, but not something that attracts too many. A local defining monument that sits central to Uptown and LynLake. But, a functional monument (restaurant on top?) with a nice little south Minneapolis observation deck. Crazy, but it'd be neat.
I agree, it'd be nice to see something replace Arby's. Maybe a development to replace both the Arby's site and Cub site? I'm all for more development that will connect the Lake/ Hennepin area with LynLake. Right now there's kind of a void but that's starting to be filled in with developments like the hotel.

Anyone know when the hotel will get final approval? I know it's basically a done deal but when is it official?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 9th, 2016, 1:21 pm

The Arby's plot across the street from the hotel poses an interesting proposition due to its unique and small footprint. It'd be kind of cool to put our own little space needle there.
I think twincitizen has expressed this before but I'd love to see a modern Flatiron there.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 9th, 2016, 2:31 pm

But wouldn't we all miss our Big Beef and Cheese?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 9th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Anyone know when the hotel will get final approval? I know it's basically a done deal but when is it official?
It goes before the full Council next Friday, 3/18.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 22nd, 2016, 11:24 am

Where's this at. Nothing on it for over 2 months.