Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown hotel discussion

Postby ECtransplant » October 21st, 2012, 12:39 pm

An uptown hotel won't really cater to business travellers. The main demand will be from people visiting the surrounding residential population with spikes during the big events.

I like the Arby's site better than the Calhoun Square lot. The Calhoun Square lot seems better suited for a larger mixed-use development. The shape of the Arby's lot is also well-suited to the design of a unique boutique hotel.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 21st, 2012, 1:50 pm

I like the Arby's site better than the Calhoun Square lot. The Calhoun Square lot seems better suited for a larger mixed-use development. The shape of the Arby's lot is also well-suited to the design of a unique boutique hotel.
Agreed. I think the Arby's site is better suited for a more interesting design than the Calhoun Square lot. But I'd be happy with a hotel at Calhoun Square too.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 21st, 2012, 5:32 pm

An irregular site like Arby's is probably better suited for a high-end condo that can have some unique unit layouts. Hotels like predictability and sameness in their room layouts, so I'd still suggest that the long, shallow Calhoun Square site is better.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 21st, 2012, 6:00 pm

An irregular site like Arby's is probably better suited for a high-end condo that can have some unique unit layouts. Hotels like predictability and sameness in their room layouts, so I'd still suggest that the long, shallow Calhoun Square site is better.
That's a good point, and I think a driveway entrance for hotel guests etc. would be easier to configure on the alleyway next to the Calhoun Square lot. There must be some conceptualizing going on by The Calhoun Square owners on what to do with this vacant lot. I wonder if the idea of a hotel has ever been discussed?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 12th, 2012, 9:00 am

I'd be more for a Boutique hotel by the Graves as part of the phase 2 of Mosiac I could see a 3 to 4 story hotel that would front the greenway with an office building of 6to 8 stories rising above part of the Hotel and on what is now Bar Abeline. Get the most bang for your buck on that piece of land. I feel the site north of the Calhoun square parking ramp should go to retail on the ground floor and office space above that. I could also see a possible portion of the space use to build residential above part of the office space so that there might be an 8 story residentail portion above the retail. Again, I'm wishing and thinking outside the box.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 12th, 2012, 9:49 am

I'd prefer the office/hotel idea more than the hotel/residential idea, simply because there was only like 40K SF of office space in Phase I, and it sounds like there is very very little Class A office space in Uptown and there clearly is some demand for it. That being said, I don't have any personal desire to see office towers in Uptown like they have in Atlanta, but something like Phase I or something you may see in Washington D.C. would be fine by me!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Seriously, Rosemount? http://www.startribune.com/local/south/180703991.html
How can these smallish exurban hotels turn a profit? This one's not even on the interstate.

Interesting question: does current zoning in Uptown even allow for a hotel?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 27th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Yeah, but do you really want a 3-story Country Inn & Suites hotel in Uptown? Probably not.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 27th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Huh. Funky.

Well, there's Dakota County Technical College in the no-man's-land to the east with a truck driver training center, and it's not too far away from the Pine Bend refinery, but I can't think of much reason for a hotel there. Okay, there is a rail line pretty close which might be where a Rosemount station would go on the Zip Rail line to Rochester, but that's pretty speculative.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Yeah, but do you really want a 3-story Country Inn & Suites hotel in Uptown? Probably not.
Dude, did I really have to qualify my post with "Well obviously we don't want Country Inn and an SA in Uptown"? I thought it was implied...

Also, LOL @ "Business Parkway". They like to keep things simple down in Rosemount.

Which one of youse guys is "antisuburbs" on the Strib? Obviously I'm twincitizen1, as seen here, here, and here. Yeah...it's been a slow day at work!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 27th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Dude, did I really have to qualify my post with "Well obviously we don't want Country Inn and an SA in Uptown"? I thought it was implied...

Also, LOL @ "Business Parkway". They like to keep things simple down in Rosemount.

Which one of youse guys is "antisuburbs" on the Strib? Obviously I'm twincitizen1, as seen here, here, and here. Yeah...it's been a slow day at work!
Why DID you bring in this bit about a hotel is Rosemount?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I think it was more to say we don't need a suburban style hotel plopped down in Uptown.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 28th, 2012, 1:45 am

Because earlier in the thread we had a lengthy discussion about how Uptown Deserves a Hotel. Some people argued that DT was too close and there wasn't enough draw. Others argued that there were plenty of decent sized hotels out in the Burbs with no major business around them. The idea was that the population of uptown residents and shopping could sustain one better than a suburb could. I think he was just pointing out an example of that as a way to say "COME ON! Let's get on in Uptown already..."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 28th, 2012, 3:51 am

Exactly. Thank you.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 28th, 2012, 9:42 am

Exactly. Thank you.
Right, but MY point was that lots of hotels are put up in places around the fringe like Rosemount or Cambridge, but we would never want just ANY hotel in Uptown anyways. So to point to this Rosemount project and go "awww, c'mon Uptown!" seems a bit [silly] because, as you said, it's obvious nobody would want that crap in Uptown anyways. Uptown would have a completely different market with completely different dynamics than almost any suburban hotel would, so I'm not so sure Rosemount's gain is a loss for Uptown. Uptown, IMO, has its own demand and supply dynamic for hotels, independent from the rest of the metro.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 28th, 2012, 10:06 am

Exactly. Thank you.
Right, but MY point was that lots of hotels are put up in places around the fringe like Rosemount or Cambridge, but we would never want just ANY hotel in Uptown anyways. So to point to this Rosemount project and go "awww, c'mon Uptown!" seems a bit [silly] because, as you said, it's obvious nobody would want that crap in Uptown anyways. Uptown would have a completely different market with completely different dynamics than almost any suburban hotel would, so I'm not so sure Rosemount's gain is a loss for Uptown. Uptown, IMO, has its own demand and supply dynamic for hotels, independent from the rest of the metro.
I don't think Anyone was making that Apples to Orange Tree Assumption. It was more like If that Apple Tree can Make Apples in this weather, why can't this Orange tree make Oranges?

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby Nick » November 28th, 2012, 10:28 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhh
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 28th, 2012, 10:59 am

It's all clear now, and suddenly I want some OJ!!

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » November 29th, 2012, 10:18 am

What about the ValuStay Inn in nearby St. Louis Park? It's pretty close to the Lakes.

http://valustayslp.com/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 29th, 2012, 11:30 am

What about the ValuStay Inn in nearby St. Louis Park? It's pretty close to the Lakes.

http://valustayslp.com/
What's St. Louis Park? I think it's probably decent, but the hard thing I see for travelers is that the area of Mpls is relatively small compared to its metro size. The kind of people wanting to stay in Uptown are probably urban minded and interested in that neighborhood. Even though SLP might be closer than DT to the lakes the city is probably a deterrent to online bookers? It would seem much farther to people who aren't familiar with the area. (not to say people couldn't actually look up locations on a map, but let's be serious, people are lazy.)