Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MNdible
is great.

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby MNdible » November 29th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Based on the name and the website, am I the only one to assume that the ValuStay is infested with bedbugs?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm

I believe the Valu-stay is more of a rent weekly type, and someone was murdered there last year.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

web

Postby web » December 1st, 2012, 6:40 pm

wasnt this the lakeland motel then motor lodge??

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 1st, 2012, 6:57 pm

Yes, scummy.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 2nd, 2012, 9:13 am

What about the ValuStay Inn in nearby St. Louis Park? It's pretty close to the Lakes.

http://valustayslp.com/
It takes more than an aerial photograph to figure out if a place is good or not.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Stumbled across this thread on City-Data: http://www.city-data.com/forum/minneapo ... ptown.html

brian
Block E

Postby brian » December 21st, 2012, 11:03 am

Some of the early discussion on this topic reminded me of this project:

http://www.bkvgroup.com/commercial/hosp ... nneapolis/

I wonder if Ace Hotels will consider resurrecting this project. I love the plinth idea with different structures on top of it.

Note that this project was originally conceived for Eat Street on what is now a climbing gym, restaurant, and plaza.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 21st, 2012, 9:22 pm

Some of the early discussion on this topic reminded me of this project:

http://www.bkvgroup.com/commercial/hosp ... nneapolis/

I wonder if Ace Hotels will consider resurrecting this project. I love the plinth idea with different structures on top of it.

Note that this project was originally conceived for Eat Street on what is now a climbing gym, restaurant, and plaza.
This was a great proposal and ahead of its time by ten years. There are still quite a few naysayers about Uptown supporting a small hotel, but I'm positive it will happen and it's a great location for one. There are many travelers that like to stay off the beaten path and experience more of a neighborhood feel of a city. My god, Uptown with all its hip urban vibe and gorgeous lakes nearby can easily support one small hotel!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Uptown Hotel

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2014, 11:50 am

Decided to make this thread because of all the news that has been popping up in the Calhoun square thread

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 17th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Looks like Graves Hospitality is sniffing around Uptown, primarily focused on the vacant site adjacent to Calhoun Square, though other sites may be in play. I'll speculate that the other sites are Cheapo. I'm not sure the Arby's site is quite attractive enough yet for a nicer hotel without other redevelopment happening around it first.

What's not clear is if Graves would partner with Ackerberg on developing the Calhoun Square site or try to buy it outright from Ackerberg. A hotel/office combo has been mentioned by multiple parties, including Ackerberg and Lisa Bender. With Code42 unexpectedly taking up all of Mozaic2, there is definitely room for more office space in Uptown. They should be able to build quite tall (for Uptown) on the Calhoun Square site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... hotel.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 17th, 2014, 1:55 pm

If not mistaken, this parcel is currently zoned C3A (height limit of 4 stories/56' and FAR of 2.7). Would it be more prudent to re-zone the parcel to something else or just ask for some heft variances on height and massing?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 17th, 2014, 2:08 pm

For anyone wondering about FAR: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_area ... _in_zoning

Height can be increased by Conditional Use Permit. There is no height limit as long as it doesn't negatively impact adjacent/nearby properties. Exceeding the FAR, however, would require a Variance. CUP just requires that you have met certain "Conditions", hence the "C". It's actually a lot different from a Variance, which is an actual deviation from the letter of the ordinance. If the city is giving out lots of variances, that probably means there are some issues with the code being outdated or overly restrictive. From my observation, Minneapolis hands out development variances like candy. The City I work for (mostly) follows our ordinance to the letter.

That said, 2.7 max FAR seems pretty low. I'm sure there will be some open space / plaza area added to the Girard Meander, and the massing of the building will be pushed up towards Lake to reduce shadowing on nearby residential, thereby making the footprint smaller. The nice thing about this site is they don't have to worry about building a ton of underground parking with the ramp next door. I'd be surprised if they don't request a FAR variance.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 17th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Not sure if it applies to C-3A, but at least downtown, there are a number of bonuses available to increase FAR, many of which are sort of no-brainers.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2014, 3:09 pm

I dont see why hotel needs to be why taller than about 6-8 stories seems like that would fit well in uptown

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 17th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I dont see why hotel needs to be why taller than about 6-8 stories seems like that would fit well in uptown
I doubt you would see anything taller than the Mosaic projects, but I think it could easily be taller than 6-8 floors. A new hotel in Uptown will be great asset to this burgeoning neighborhood. It really marks a turning point in its evolution to a mature and dense urban neighborhood that's distinct from downtown.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 17th, 2014, 4:15 pm

It's kind of like in Civilization when your city can't grow beyond a certain point without an aqueduct.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 17th, 2014, 4:34 pm

It's kind of like in Civilization when your city can't grow beyond a certain point without an aqueduct.
LMAO

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Well, since you went there:

https://i.imgur.com/JjH9rFf.jpg

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 18th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Was the height restriction on the Mozaic because of residents not liking the original proposed height or was it because of the Greenway shadowing? Both? A taller hotel, perhaps mixed with commercial would be ideal. Bonus with an attachment to the parking ramp.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 18th, 2014, 4:34 pm

What height restriction?