Uptown Hotel Discussion

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Hotel Discussion

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 18th, 2014, 6:41 pm

What height restriction?
I thought the original proposal was for 11 floors and I believe they came back with a 6 story version after meeting with the neighborhood. Maybe that's what he meant.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2014, 6:49 pm

What is really funny is that the shadow that they got was about 1/2 what they ended up with . The Condo tower would have been much narrower and was circular and would have cast far less shadow over the day.The height freaks spazzed out because of the height and they got a huge shadow on the green way instead. The shadow from the tower would have been cast on the OC parking lot and not anyone's home. But now we get M2 which is a Iconic building that we missed with the Condo tower.

I'd like to see the Hotel on the parking lot behind the Landmark Theater. I'd prefer they tear down the TCF, Mesa, and Kinkos building and develop that whole area between Lunds and the alley behind the buildings that front Hennepin and Lagoon and Lake street. Better designed Retail with office or apartments fronting Lake and have the Hotel front Lagoon. You can do some parking under neather and in the center if you want. Let's just get some honest to god density in that area.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on June 18th, 2014, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 18th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Low and wide loses over tall and slender yet again? Huh.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Yes a slender shadow that move with the sun is replaced with a pretty stationary shadow that does not really change over the course of the day.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 18th, 2014, 8:08 pm

It's possible that I'm misremembering, but I'm fairly certain that the change in the Mozaic design was due to the recession, not any height restrictions.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 18th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Most likely recession. So back to the hotel.. I want it to be The Graves Calhoun if Graves is in charge of it

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 18th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Most likely recession. So back to the hotel.. I want it to be The Graves Calhoun if Graves is in charge of it
Or the Calhoun Graves.

It could go next to Lakewood.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2014, 9:13 pm

It's possible that I'm misremembering, but I'm fairly certain that the change in the Mozaic design was due to the recession, not any height restrictions.
Height is what kept it from getting approval. The recession is what killed the whole concept.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 18th, 2014, 10:22 pm

We may have to go to the record on this one, but I don't think it ever actually went through the full approval process.

In any case, when I first saw the original Mozaic project, my reaction was something along the lines of, "That's cool -- it's really pushing the envelope, but it looks too expensive to ever get built." I think it's telling that there wasn't anything like it built anywhere in the Twin Cities, even during the boom years.

And in terms of its financing, there were too many moving pieces -- did it have a hotel? Office? Retail? Condos? Maybe? Who's bringing the cash for that? Who was going to pay for the infrastructure improvements?

In some ways it was like the Nicollet condo tower -- it's own ambition and overreach is what killed the project.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 18th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Naw, it must have been NIMBYS! Write your own story, it's easier.

It actually went from 13 to 10.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 18th, 2014, 11:06 pm

http://www.southwestjournal.com/node/16455
Years ago, plans called for MoZaic to feature a hotel. That idea was scrapped and plans revised to include the construction of a number of condos along with a teardown and reconstruction of the Lagoon Theater. When the condo market tanked, the Ackerberg Group decided to scrap the residential component of the project altogether, and the building now under construction at what will be 1320 Lagoon Ave. reflects construction plans that have remained largely unchanged for two years and will leave the Lagoon Theater intact.

“We were ready to go in 2008 but then the capital markets fell apart and our lender wasn’t able to perform,” Ackerberg said.
http://www.southwestjournal.com/node/11566
“If it brings more people to work and live in the Wedge, I’m all for it,” said outgoing Lowry Hill East Neighborhood Association (LHENA) board president Twyla Staiger Dixon.

LHENA gave its nod of approval to the most recent version of Mozaic, which is located along the neighborhood’s south and west borders. Dixon said the group has generally been in favor of The Ackerberg Group’s projects because of their quality and the firm’s willingness to work with residents.
http://www.southwestjournal.com/node/12783
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 18th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Or the Calhoun Graves.

It could go next to Lakewood.
Lets get morbid!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 20th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Is that "Ackerberg: only expect change" sign related?

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » August 30th, 2014, 7:56 am

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Sounds promising we're finally going to see a hotel in this neighborhood. Everybody knows the lot next to Calhoun Square is an option, but I wonder what two other sites Mr Graves is looking at?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 30th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I'm surprised there's not one already. Columbus' Short North has one well underway. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/reale ... d=all&_r=0

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 30th, 2014, 4:49 pm

You're just trolling now. Really.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 30th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Its always a comparison to another city he's been too

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 30th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Columbus sounds really vibrant.

grant1simons2
IDS Center