Buzza Lofts of Uptown

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
lovethyneighborhood
Block E

Re: Buzza Lofts of Uptown

Postby lovethyneighborhood » November 14th, 2015, 7:44 pm

The tunnel was just sealed this past week. Any word on plans to begin construction of phase 2?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 14th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Think that was sealed more for security/safety reasons than for future construction.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » November 15th, 2015, 12:12 pm

can someone post a photo? It is incredibly disappointing that it was sealed off. It was a real historical treasure and one of the only remaining examples of how an existing railroad/industrial corridor was modified to allow for the trench. It was one of the only south-side modifications that we still have. Absolutely bummed by this news. And I'm disappointed that Buzza didn't renovate this example when they got historical tax credits for the Buzza building itself, though the tunnel was not originally constructed for Buzza or its predecessor...though they did utilize it later.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » November 15th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Thanks - here's the walled off tunnel viewed from the Buzza parking lot...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 15th, 2015, 8:43 pm

So the tunnel is really still there, it is just hidden behind the metal walls for now. Will have to look from the north my next trip along the promenade. I wonder if that is where the sidewalk and the concrete retaining wall have started to separate that I noticed on my way home from Cub. Looked like the retaining wall had started to shift in towards the pit.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » November 15th, 2015, 9:05 pm

I sure hope that's the case. I had heard there was a possibility it was going to be filled in but then never heard anything more, so I assumed it was off the table.

I believe Buzza had previously asked to create a connection to the Greenway but was denied or told it was likely to be denied by HCRRA to preserve the potential for transit in the corridor.

My dream was that Buzza Phase 2 would upgrade the tunnel and have an entrance there to an outdoor courtyard on the greenway side. There used to be a siding on the greenway side and the LRT/streetcar tracks presumably would be set back from 29th far enough to allow a space for a patio. Given that it'd be land locked from the rest of the greenway and the elevation difference between the trail and likely height of the LRT tracks, a direct Buzza to trail connection is unlikely. HCRRA could therefore lease the space for a patio, add eyes to the street, and get some historical preservation out of it.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » November 17th, 2015, 8:42 am

This sounds like a great idea.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 17th, 2015, 2:03 pm

The tunnel still exists on the trench side with the fence there to keep people out. Also it is the sidewalk next to the retaining walks that are sagging and causing issues with that section of the sidewalk sinking and cracking.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » November 21st, 2015, 5:24 pm

According to Buzza management, they put up a temporary guard on the tunnel for safety purposes preceding a meeting with the Department of Housing and Urban Development. They are currently working with the State Historic Preservation Office to figure out a temporary solution with the tunnel for both safety and structural reasons.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 25th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Phase II is back after a 5-year timeout: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 214930.pdf

If you're interested in why it went away for 5 years, read the last couple paragraphs of this SW Journal article from March 2014

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 26th, 2018, 8:19 am

It's so bizarre that the National Park Service is in the business of ensuring everyone has a clear view of Buzza from Lake Street.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » October 26th, 2018, 9:19 am

Phase II is back after a 5-year timeout: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 214930.pdf

If you're interested in why it went away for 5 years, read the last couple paragraphs of this SW Journal article from March 2014
I guess I'm glad that it wasn't blocked in perpetuity, but it seems odd that there is a 5 year sunset for the National Parks Service to review changes.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 26th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Not only was it the expiration of the recapture period, the change in tax law and designation of the area as an Opportunity Zone made dusting off Phase II viable.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/10/do ... in-uptown/

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » October 30th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Interesting- the current Buzza residents will be able to use the parking garage, but will have to go outside first to get into the new building it looks like.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » October 31st, 2018, 6:17 am

Just to catch me up, does phase 1 remain income restricted after five years? Or will both of these now be market rate buildings?

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » November 2nd, 2018, 8:10 am

The Low Income Housing Tax Credits will make Phase I affordable for at least 15 years.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Full plans for Phase II: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 216920.pdf

6 stories, 135 units.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » February 8th, 2019, 10:16 pm

I dislike this project more now that I understand that the city is having them remove the tunnel under 29th street, forever removing one of the few remaining examples of how the creation of the railroad trench had to work with adjacent industrial users to adapt to a changed environment. It's unfortunate the developer, city, and HCRRA would not want to preserve it, perhaps allowing the developer to use the recessed landscaped section on the south edge of the greenway (south of the old mainline tracks) for a dog run. HCRRA was pretty consistent in not letting developers on the south side access the trail, for concern it could complicate future transit service. This site was unique as 29th was constructed as a viaduct and the tunnel allowed a building materials company to stay on site and have access to the tracks. They used horse cart to move materials from the yard to holding bins adjacent the track siding.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » February 9th, 2019, 8:37 pm

is the removal of the tunnel a done deal? It's difficult for me to read this kind of document but I thought the conditional use permit asked that the tunnel be retained.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 10th, 2019, 8:16 pm

The plans say tunnel removal but conditions of approval say CPED wants them to retain the tunnel. When they came to the Midtown Greenway Coalition they were open to the idea of preserving the tunnel opening and using it as a Greenway access point for the property.