St. Paul Restaurant News

The Most Livable City in America™
Nathan
Capella Tower

St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 3:35 pm

I didn't know if this deserved it's whole own thread, so I figured STP could use a restaurant thread.

Apparently French Meadow is opening a new location in the News Cafe's old location! Looks like the green is in too...

Aville_37
Union Depot

Re: St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby Aville_37 » December 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Sorry - where in St. Paul? Not familiar with the News Cafe.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Wasn't it on Grand just west of Macalaster? Sort of near Shish and the pizza place, IIRC

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Coffee News? I wasn't aware it had closed.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 13th, 2012, 9:15 am

Yes, Coffee News Cafe, missed a word! (It's also taking up the space of the shop next door that closed 'the technicolored dream coat' or something)

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » December 13th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Looks like the Bullpen is now open in the former Buttery space in downtown Saint Paul.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_221 ... cities.com

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 13th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Looks like the Bullpen is now open in the former Buttery space in downtown Saint Paul.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_221 ... cities.com
Cool. Menu looks interesting. I always liked Buttery and was sad it closed and took so long for something to fill the space. Great news.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » December 13th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I haven't spent much time on Grand, but Coffee News would have been more compelling since I already have a French Meadow location nearby in Mpls. I haven't sampled many of their dessert items, but I like Moose & Sadie's brownies much better: denser, richer, and moist.

I've been looking for a nightspot worth venturing all the way to the east side of St Paul. Ward 6 looks promising: they have beignets and local beer.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 14th, 2012, 8:40 am

I haven't spent much time on Grand, but Coffee News would have been more compelling since I already have a French Meadow location nearby in Mpls. I haven't sampled many of their dessert items, but I like Moose & Sadie's brownies much better: denser, richer, and moist.

I've been looking for a nightspot worth venturing all the way to the east side of St Paul. Ward 6 looks promising: they have beignets and local beer.

Good news for the east side. Still would like to try the Strip Club.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 8th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Same! Good spot for an UrbanMSP happy hour once we're all rich and famous.

Vacant BK at Uni & Farrington (between Marion & Western Aves) to become new home to Bangkok Thai Deli.

They're phamming the place up with ~$100,000 in improvements.

I wasn't aware that BK had closed. A victim of LRT construction?

Bangkok Thai is the sister restaurant to Krungthep Thai on Eat Street. (Quite literally, as they are run by sisters-in-law...and a white guy)

macgrove15
Block E

Postby macgrove15 » March 5th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Yes, the Coffee News restaurant on Grand has been closed since the beginning of the school year at Macalester so around early September 2012.

A lot of change has happened this year around the campus. Coat of Many Colors moved down a few doors, French Meadow Bakery is supposed to open sometime this May.

The owners of Shish opened a new restaurant, Grand Central a few doors down in what I believe is the old Grand Sandwich place. Grand Central is becoming really popular and it just received its liquor license the other day so they should be extending their hours till around 10 or 11 now.

Additionally, across the street the Katmandu restaurant closed. I don't know anything about what is going to happen to the space. Although, I do know the apartments in the space above it are being leased for next year.

Also I heard a rumor the Cow Bella, the gelato place might close, it may have already, I'm not quite sure.

Also, at the Snelling and Grand intersection the Macalester College Bookstore moved into the space next to Common Good Books.

So much change in this area recently.

macgrove15
Block E

Postby macgrove15 » March 5th, 2013, 3:45 pm

The area around Macalester has seen a lot of changes the past year with restaurants and retail.

Katmandu closed a month or so ago. Although the apartments above it are being leased again for next year.
The Macalester Bookstore moved into the space next to Common Good Books.
Coats of Many Colors moved a few doors down.
Coffee News closed around August/September 2012. That space is being prepared for French Meadow which should open in May.
The owners of Shish opened a new restaurant a few doors down called Grand Central. It is really popular now and they just received their liquor license, so they should be extending their hours.
Cow Bella, the gelato place, is rumored to be closing, although I'm not positive about this at all.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 11th, 2013, 10:13 pm

I just read that the the city council approved sidewalk expansion on 6th Street in Lowertown for outdoor dining at Barrio, Bulldog and Bin.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » March 14th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Finally! The "historic preservation" reasoning still baffles me. Was it the parking spaces that are historic? Are we preserving 20th century transportation nightmares now above the interests of livability?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 20th, 2013, 11:42 am

Frogtown Daily Diner is now open in the newer Frogtown Square TOD project at University & Dale.

http://www.startribune.com/local/203124501.html

http://www.dailydinerfrogtown.com/

mulad

Postby mulad » April 22nd, 2013, 8:55 am

Tacos Nachos and Beer is supposedly opening on West 7th Place today (the pedestrian segment between Wabasha and St. Peter). This is going into a spot previously occupied by Jimmy John's. In the interim, someone had painted a demand in the window, "What this place needs is a taqueria!", so I guess that worked. Possibly, maybe.

http://www.tacosnachosandbeer.com/
https://twitter.com/tacosnachosbeer

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

Not really news, but an interview with the owners of The Nook and Shamrocks: http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2 ... map=%5B%5D

macgrove15
Block E

Postby macgrove15 » May 19th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Update from Mac-Grove....

Cow Bella is not closing...still open.

It appears as if French Meadow will not be opening this month, no word yet on when it will.

Work is really coming along on the new Buffalo Wild Wings location in the former Cheapo store on Snelling. Looks like it might open soon

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 19th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Did the old coney island place on St. Peter, I believe, ever reopen? Family owned.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » May 19th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Update from Mac-Grove....

Cow Bella is not closing...still open.

It appears as if French Meadow will not be opening this month, no word yet on when it will.

Work is really coming along on the new Buffalo Wild Wings location in the former Cheapo store on Snelling. Looks like it might open soon

An article in the Villager this week said French Meadow is "hoping to open later this summer."