New Bell Museum/Planetarium

The Most Livable City in America™
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Bell Museum and Planetarium

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 12:07 pm

You could try googling: "Bell Museum of Natural History."

I just did, and the result you are looking for comes up on top.
I did and didn't see anything about the new plans. I was hoping for some anecdotal experiences, not smartass replies. Besides, when I'm at work I try to limit the amount of online research that's not work related. I'm funny that way.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 23rd, 2014, 2:10 pm

Sorry for being a smart ass, so I'll be direct: Your post was annoying and lazy. And you make posts like that all the time.

It takes minimal effort to learn the basics about this museum. Instead you asked others to spell it out for you because you're at work, as if you're the only one. Then you end your post with a baseless prediction after already stating you know nothing about the museum or its expansion plans.
Last edited by Didier on May 23rd, 2014, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 23rd, 2014, 2:15 pm

And just to reenforce this, if you google "Bell Museum of Natural History" and click on the top link, www.bellmuseum.umn.edu, there is a large graphic in the front of the Bell Museum's home page that says "Learn more about a new Bell Museum & Planetarium."

If you click on this button, it takes you to the full statement that fehler quoted from. Also, under a subhead that says "New Building," there are the following links:

• Fact sheet
• Set of maps
• FAQs
• Pre-design report

It honestly could not be any easier to find the most basic information on this project.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 23rd, 2014, 8:44 pm

Well I guess we don't need this thread at all. Just click here www.bellmuseum.umn.edu to share ideas about museums.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Bell Museum and Planetarium

Postby Anondson » May 23rd, 2014, 9:35 pm

We don't need this forum except to coordinate the elusive happy hour, just google everything. If you don't you're lazy.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 10:06 pm

And just to reenforce this, if you google "Bell Museum of Natural History" and click on the top link, http://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu, there is a large graphic in the front of the Bell Museum's home page that says "Learn more about a new Bell Museum & Planetarium."

If you click on this button, it takes you to the full statement that fehler quoted from. Also, under a subhead that says "New Building," there are the following links:

• Fact sheet
• Set of maps
• FAQs
• Pre-design report

It honestly could not be any easier to find the most basic information on this project.
You're the man!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: New Bell Museum/Planetarium

Postby Minneboy » March 14th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Had a nice time at the Bell today. I could have easily spent more time.

Navin
City Center

Postby Navin » July 31st, 2015, 9:33 am

There's been enough recent activity to garner an update. Some renderings from the schematic design phase are available at this link:

http://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu/Informati ... /index.htm

If you recall seeing designs a couple years back, those were scrapped for a number of reasons. Perkins + Will are designing the final version now. It's expected to open in Spring or Summer of 2018. It will have a 120-person planetarium of course!

The project budget is about $64 million and the funds are in hand. There are a number of "add alternatives" that could enlarge or enhance visitor areas (both inside and outside) that are contingent on private fundraising that is happening now.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 31st, 2015, 10:05 am

Ah, a great contender for a James Howard Kunstler Eyesore of the Month. http://kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 31st, 2015, 10:17 am

Looks like they're just building wedding/event space. Science!

Navin
City Center

Postby Navin » July 31st, 2015, 11:04 am

Everyone's a critic.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » July 31st, 2015, 12:33 pm

I kind of like it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 31st, 2015, 12:41 pm

I'll have to agree with Sean, this does not look at all like a building of science and especially a planetarium. But again personal opinion. Hopefully that means that they are spending more for what will be in the building, planetarium, exhibit space, and classroom space. It best be top notch!!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 10th, 2015, 10:43 am

There's a big sign up on the property now stating that construction will begin in the summer.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 10th, 2015, 10:53 am

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "University of Minnesota" -- or maybe "Suburbs", because it's actually in Falcon Heights, right?

Anyway. Does the funding for this project include a larger-than-life size statue of Alice Hausman in recognition of the astonishing lengths she went to in getting this thing built?

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » December 10th, 2015, 11:37 am

Anyway. Does the funding for this project include a larger-than-life size statue of Alice Hausman in recognition of the astonishing lengths she went to in getting this thing built?
No shit!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 11th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Let's move this to U of M... it is actually on University land on the north side of the St. Paul campus. Across the street from the Gibbs Farm Museum. It is also going to be managed as a part of the University.

Navin
City Center

Postby Navin » April 20th, 2016, 8:33 am

Planetarium and Bell fans: this Friday, Earth Day, we are breaking ground. Expect the new Bell Museum + Planetarium to be open in Summer of 2018. Various renderings and floor plans available at these links....

http://z.umn.edu/writehistory

http://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu/sites/bel ... 016_v4.pdf

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9QIH ... sp=sharing

Navin
City Center

Postby Navin » July 31st, 2017, 9:28 am

We are about one year away from the opening of the new Bell Museum, a museum dedicated to all things bells. No, actually it's Minnesota's natural history museum and planetarium.

Great news: A generous(!!) couple made a $5 million gift to name the planetarium. They did not want PR, but you will recognize the name once signage is in place. Rhymes with Shmack-shmillan.

Here are some photos of: (1), (2), (3) moving the dioramas; a rendering of the (4) planetarium queuing area; and (5) the glacier/mammoth exhibit which will be a centerpiece.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 31st, 2017, 7:39 pm

Planet, aaarium.