Pioneer Endicott Building - (141 East Fourth Street)

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

Re: Pioneer Endicott Building - (141 East Fourth Street)

Postby mulad » September 25th, 2014, 6:19 am

The first-floor arcade was open when I passed through yesterday evening. I assume this had once housed shops, and it would be nice if some businesses tried to go in there again. The area with the stained-glass ceiling is actually an "L" shape -- it turns the corner at the far end:

ImageIMAG0334 by Mulad, on Flickr

Oddly, the light well that extends from the second floor up was closed yesterday evening for painting, though it had been open back on the 12th:

ImageIMAG0318 by Mulad, on Flickr

Also, Legacy Chocolates has opened up in the skyway level, across the lobby from Revival Wine & Spirits.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 25th, 2014, 8:41 am

Thanks for the update Mulad. Might have still been finishing up updates when I tried to get in on the 5th street entrance. This arcade is one of my favorite walk thrus in St. Paul. Unlike Cleveland, I think this is our only real nice arcade left in the Twin Cities. Cleveland has a few very classic arcades. I love the open light well of the Pioneer building. Like all the iron work which would be hard to replace now days.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 25th, 2014, 8:49 am

The doorway to/from 5th Street had a sign on it saying it was closed for some reason -- I came in through the lobby on Robert Street, where I think the doors to the street are usually open. I took the shot from a lobby that faces 4th, but didn't check the doors there. I did try the doors at the other end of the arcade, around the corner, but they were also locked for anyone trying to get in from the outside.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 1st, 2014, 12:44 pm

The first-floor arcade was open when I passed through yesterday evening. I assume this had once housed shops, and it would be nice if some businesses tried to go in there again. The area with the stained-glass ceiling is actually an "L" shape -- it turns the corner at the far end.
Indeed it did. When I was a kid in the 90s, I remember my mom taking me to the Credit Union located in this arcade prior to it moving to the first floor of Galtier Plaza (now since relocated to the skyway of Galtier). There was also the Post Office (closed in 2008 right before the RNC), a restaurant (not sure when this closed), and a convenience store (closed in 2008 right before the RNC). There was a brouhaha about their closings because they were essentially forced out when the buildings were purchased by the same owner of First National Bank building. I remember some people blaming Republicans for closing the stores for nefarious RNC plans. :roll: When I walked through a few weeks ago, it looked like some of the old retail space was now apartments.

The section of arcade that does not have this stained glass ceiling is closed and locked. I'm not sure why - its smack dab between Hat Trick and a small mini market. It would provide great connectivity to the street.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2014, 12:52 pm

The first-floor arcade was open when I passed through yesterday evening. I assume this had once housed shops, and it would be nice if some businesses tried to go in there again. The area with the stained-glass ceiling is actually an "L" shape -- it turns the corner at the far end.
Indeed it did. When I was a kid in the 90s, I remember my mom taking me to the Credit Union located in this arcade prior to it moving to the first floor of Galtier Plaza (now since relocated to the skyway of Galtier). There was also the Post Office (closed in 2008 right before the RNC), a restaurant (not sure when this closed), and a convenience store (closed in 2008 right before the RNC). There was a brouhaha about their closings because they were essentially forced out when the buildings were purchased by the same owner of First National Bank building. I remember some people blaming Republicans for closing the stores for nefarious RNC plans. :roll: When I walked through a few weeks ago, it looked like some of the old retail space was now apartments.

The section of arcade that does not have this stained glass ceiling is closed and locked. I'm not sure why - its smack dab between Hat Trick and a small mini market. It would provide great connectivity to the street.
If as you say those store fronts are now apartment then that might be the case when things are closed off. Again just speculation on my part.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » March 1st, 2016, 12:34 pm

This building is on fire. Flames shooting off the roof. Spfd is here en masse.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 1st, 2016, 1:05 pm

The fire is out. Sounds like it was contained to the elevator penthouse.

RT-Bone
Block E

Postby RT-Bone » October 15th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Hearing that Revival Wine/Spirits, the liquor store on the skyway level of PE building, has closed.