Wabasha Center (Former Macy's) - Downtown St. Paul

The Most Livable City in America™
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Former Macy's Site - Downtown St. Paul

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2015, 8:29 am

Anyone notice that in the renderings the "skyway to nowhere" is missing? They are going to skin that building alive.
It would be a smart move from both an aesthetic and liability stand point to get rid of that skyway. I do believe that they will eventually build another skyway across if they do eventually build on the parking lot across the street. Then Ecolab workers can enter the Hamm's building and catch the skyway that is still there but is disconnected by the parking lot at this time.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 30th, 2015, 10:33 am

Going back in time two years ago or so, who'd have ever thought this would turn out better than the Block-E renovation?

(Obviously implementation is everything, so assuming this actually gets built as planned)
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think this will be better? Because it has more glass?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 30th, 2015, 12:08 pm

I'm one that thinks that the all glass façade will go away and something with more windows will be used along Wabasha, but from an energy standpoint I think they will work to get some insulated walls as part of the façade. The Glass is only for the Wabasha side. The parking garage will pretty much stay as it is. I find it hard to believe that they would spend money to reface the parking ramps section that faces Cedar. From a cost point, they would really not make back any of the money that they would have to invest in the residing.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » October 6th, 2015, 11:03 am

I guess I should have looked more closely at the drawing above.

Although, if that is actually what they're thinking, I wouldn't say the rink is "on the roof." It's more "on the top floor."
If you look at the roof, you'll see that the center portion of the top floor is open to the sky and currently parking:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9431818 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 6th, 2015, 11:10 am

But it looks like they'd put the rink on what is currently the roof and then add a few floors on top of it, right?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 6th, 2015, 1:05 pm

But it looks like they'd put the rink on what is currently the roof and then add a few floors on top of it, right?
The center section of the roof is about a store below the 2 outside ends. The store does no have a FLAT roof. The rink is setting on the actual old roof. Not sure if it is elevator penthouses and stairs that are in the raised outside sections, but that is where both are except for the elevators to the parking garage which are on the Cedar wall, are located. Will see if I can find that roof pic that shows the difference in heights.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on October 6th, 2015, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 6th, 2015, 1:18 pm

I guess I should have looked more closely at the drawing above.

Although, if that is actually what they're thinking, I wouldn't say the rink is "on the roof." It's more "on the top floor."
If you look at the roof, you'll see that the center portion of the top floor is open to the sky and currently parking:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9431818 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Looks like when they quit using some of the upper floors they got turned into parking. The roof section where the rink would go is now parking from the looks of it. You can see on the Google map that there are 2 one story banks on each side, and the parking garage on the east end on Cedar. So there really will not be that much demolition to be done to get the configuration that you see in the drawings. Once the front façade is taken off the different roof heights will be noticeable.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » October 6th, 2015, 5:58 pm

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » October 7th, 2015, 8:24 am

I like it! First impression: Moorish or Arabic inspired?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 7th, 2015, 8:54 am

The wonderful double parking ramp exit between the sidewalk and the street remains.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 8th, 2015, 8:49 am

The wonderful double parking ramp exit between the sidewalk and the street remains.
Given the design of the garage between angles of how cars travel through there and the slope down to the street, there really isn't any feasible way to redo that. I hope they will be able to make that section under the overhang that slopes down to be more inviting to walk through.

I like that they are keeping the granite section of the facade, and integrating the rest of the building. Unfortunately, that part of the street will still look like a cavern... but I don't see that changing any time soon.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 8th, 2015, 11:49 am

Would be cool, if they could incorporate some LED lights in the walk way and under the ramp exit as it meets the street. Something like the underside of the Twins stadium station.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 6th, 2015, 10:10 am

Wild want the rooftop rink to have "wow" factor:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... op-rink-at

Plus, the team wants to open the rink to public use. A win-win in my book.
The team will need the Macy's ice a few hours each day, so developing additional programming for other users such as adult leagues, broomball, youth hockey and open skating will be a financial plus. Hamline University is a likely partner.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 6th, 2015, 10:20 am

With Hamline using CHS Field and this new hockey rink, they should look into adding classroom space in some of the empty office space. They could have a downtown Saint Paul campus in addition to the one up on Snelling.

I just remembered that they recently combined law schools with William Mitchell too. They certainly are changing.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » November 6th, 2015, 10:23 am

While a damn sight better than the current Macy's building, I don't think the proposed design has a "wow" factor. I'm not sure what it needs, but it's kind of boring. I think the blue glass gives it a more "corporate" look rather than an "entertainment" look.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 6th, 2015, 11:21 am

While a damn sight better than the current Macy's building, I don't think the proposed design has a "wow" factor. I'm not sure what it needs, but it's kind of boring. I think the blue glass gives it a more "corporate" look rather than an "entertainment" look.
Got a feeling that those were preliminary plans. I'm sure as Walgreens, the Wild, and other users have some input that the design will change for the better. While I would like to see a lot of glass. I'd prefer some other materials added/used to help tie it in better with the surrounding buildings.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 12th, 2016, 12:43 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2016, 11:27 am

Fascinating. Quick takeaways from first run through:
1. Disappointed that there are still at least 4 curb cuts for at least 3 distinct parking areas, rather than consolidation of that access. It looks like one of the two "freeway ramp" exits to 6th St may be going away but it will still split the street from the sidewalk, yet page 18 shows both of these "freeway ramps" remaining. What a missed opportunity for 6th Street.

2. Interesting to see them proposing moving a future skyway connection to the corner of 6th and Wabasha rather than the current "skyway to nowhere" location midblock on Wabasha. The conceptual renderings previously released showed *no* skyway across Wabasha. Do they know something about the vacant lot on the NW corner of the intersection that is not yet public? It seems strange this is added in, considering the loading of the skyway corridor through the building would make it easy to put a skyway across Wabasha at any point in the building. And, because of the way the skyway corridor jumps west to meet up with the WTC/WF building, they are losing more leasable SF (and a prominent corner spot) by loading the skyway to the 6th St corner.

3. I forgot this was more than just a Wild practice rink - it will be the Hamline University home rink and rental ice. 952 seats, public restrooms, and 6 non-Wild locker rooms on the rink level (the Wild locker rooms are in the basement along with most of their facilities and private parking, separated from the ice floor by private elevators).

4. The majority of the street-level experience will remain unchanged. A missed opportunity for Cedar Street as well. The two tenants on the Cedar Street level are midblock, and the Cedar/6th corner will remain largely unchanged. Not that any of the other corners at 6th and Cedar have redeeming qualities either.

5. What happened to the planned brewery? Did we know who that might possibly be? The only retail use etched into the plans is the pharmacy (Walgreens) with 7279 SF on skyway level and 17421 SF Wabasha street level.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » April 13th, 2016, 9:14 pm

Looney Bin Brewery is tentatively moving into the space fronting Cedar, but they have also applied for a STAR grant/loan for the first floor retail space in the former Pioneer Press building (being converted to residential). Seems like they haven't quite decided where they're going to end up quite yet.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 21st, 2016, 9:46 am

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/21/mo ... e-parking/

Main points:
1) design will be much different than shown
2) Can't sell enough space as office or apartments
3) Downtown needs MOAR PARKING (eye roll)
4) 360,000 sq ft will be converted to parking (up from 180,000)
5) most of 2nd and 3rd level will be parking with some leasable space.