Sears Redevelopment

The Most Livable City in America™
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Sears Redevelopment

Postby Nathan » April 16th, 2014, 9:31 am

oh man... this looks even better than before...

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » April 16th, 2014, 9:45 am

^ the pages that i found them on were actually from stories from January and February from 2013, so there are most likely the original renderings for the project.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 16th, 2014, 10:05 am

Did a little digging and came across this render of the Sears redevelopment project. It appears to be the office building at the corner of Rice and Aurora with the proposed apartments on the ride side of the image.

Not sure what corner this is.

I believe the second image is not at a regular intersection -- the foreground street running left-to-right should be Rice Street, and the foreground buildings should be new structures going into what is now the east-side parking lot of the Sears. The existing south-facing side of the building is in the background.

I think...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 16th, 2014, 7:43 pm

If I had to guess I'd say the two images are two different versions of this project. If that's the case I'm hoping they go with the top version.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 17th, 2014, 9:09 am

If I had to guess I'd say the two images are two different versions of this project. If that's the case I'm hoping they go with the top version.
To the best of my knowledge the top rendering is of the office/residential portion with is built away from the Sears building. The second rendering is of the Sears building and one of the new office building to the east of the current Sears store. That I believe is a southern view of that portion of the project.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 11th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Documenting the original state of the building and site:

_mg_9036 by Mulad, on Flickr

_mg_9040 by Mulad, on Flickr

_mg_9041 by Mulad, on Flickr

_mg_9043 by Mulad, on Flickr

_mg_9049 by Mulad, on Flickr

The vastness of the parking lots. The Rice Street side still has signage saying state Lot X:

_mg_9039 by Mulad, on Flickr

The view from Marion Street:

_mg_9044 by Mulad, on Flickr

mulad

Postby mulad » April 11th, 2015, 8:36 pm

And since it was right across the street, here's a shot of the ramp that went in next to the Transportation Building on the capitol grounds. It isn't as tall as I expected:
_mg_9038 by Mulad, on Flickr

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » January 17th, 2017, 9:43 am

I was surprised to see that the old Greyhound bus station and streetcar-era commercial buildings on University between Rice and Marion have been demolished. I have not heard if this is related to this development - has anyone seen anything?

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » January 20th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I was surprised to see that the old Greyhound bus station and streetcar-era commercial buildings on University between Rice and Marion have been demolished. I have not heard if this is related to this development - has anyone seen anything?

That is very interesting, maybe somthing is in the works? I can't wait to see a nice development in that area. Tons of more housing and mixed usage would be very good. Yet, maybe wait until the Ford plant site is finished.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 22nd, 2017, 6:36 am

Sears has "substantial doubt" about its future
http://www.startribune.com/sears-has-su ... 416804094/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » October 15th, 2018, 4:05 am

Looks like 142 more Sears Stores will be closed at the end of the year. I never see that much business at the St Paul store, other than the license bureau. Makes me think one of these times, it'll make the list.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » October 15th, 2018, 8:36 am

You got your wish: St Paul and Minnetonka locations to close

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... protection

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 9:54 am

So now that this is a fact, how much of this block is part of the Sears parcel(s)? How much would a new owner get to repurpose or redevelop?

What is the city’s guidance for the property? Does St. Paul’s 2040 comp plan have anything to say about the future of this block?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » October 15th, 2018, 10:12 am

Looks like Sears itself doesn't own any of that land. It's owned by Seritage Growth Properties which was a subsidiary of Sears until it was spun off into a separate entity back in 2015. Allegedly there's no going concern for that company despite the fact it leases a vast majority of its property to Sears and Kmart. Sounds like they've taken on the redevelopment of their other properties where Sears stores have closed.

Seritage posted a statement on their website claiming they're well positioned to handle the closings.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 15th, 2018, 10:15 am

Per Bill Lindeke on twitter, it's out of the city's hands and under the purview of the Capital Area Architecture and Planning Board: https://twitter.com/BillLindeke/status/ ... 1906566145

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 11:02 am

What does the Capitol Area Architecture and Planning Board envision for this block?

I would hope they are filled with people who are envious of the area surrounding the Wisconsin capitol and desired to surround it the capitol area with actual signs of human life.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Alas, I doubt it, but I don't know.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 15th, 2018, 2:06 pm

CAAPB is very interested in building a denser and more vibrant campus around the State Capitol. They are surprisingly progressive.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 15th, 2018, 2:40 pm

I just hope they can develop the parcel in phases and incrementally. Perhaps add some street grid, too? That is one massive lot in a part of town that desperately needs more residents.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Went to the CAAPB website. From the full text of the 2009 comp plan:
Sears Block
The future of the Sears Block is important in the overall vision of the Capitol Area. In order to bring the area in tune with the intimate spirit of Saint Paul's neighborhoods, greater architectural integrity and small-scaled buildings should be introduced on this block. The Sears store itself, an important asset to the community, could rebuild in a more urban complex on the same site if desired. A variety of mixed-uses, including residential, office, State buildings and green spaces will fill out the rest of the block. The Sears Block will become a new and vital center of urban living.
Refer to the Rice Station Area Plan, dated 2008 and available from the City of Saint Paul, for information on how redevelopment of this area is envisioned in light of the planned
Central Corridor Light Rail Transit Line. With the introduction of light rail transit on University Avenue, the Rice Station Area (Sears Block) has the potential to be transformed into a complete and healthy community with vibrant public spaces, a range of movement options, a diverse mix of land uses, and attractive buildings framing lively, pedestrian-friendly streets. A graphic from the Rice Station Area Plan showing the Sears Block is shown on page 6 of this Comprehensive Plan Amendment.
There is an “urban village” plan for the block. Is “small-scaled buildings” and more State office buildings on the block realistic today?

Looks like there is a heigh limit of 944’ for this block also. How many stories are we talking about?

Here’s a link to the CAAPB planning page.

https://mn.gov/caapb/planning-zoning/planning/