Sears Redevelopment

The Most Livable City in America™
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Sears Redevelopment

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm

From the policy maps here:

https://mn.gov/caapb/planning-zoning/pl ... t-form.jsp

Looks like 7 stories is allowed on the Sears Block neighborhood.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 15th, 2018, 4:02 pm

944'? That's gotta be airport-related, right?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 5:50 pm

944’ from sea level is what that’s about. I think that 944’ is the bottom elevation of the capitol dome.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 15th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Strib talked to developers on redevelopment of the Sears Block.

http://www.startribune.com/developers-d ... 497644601/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 15th, 2019, 7:21 am

Kraus Anderson is working on an office proposal that would bring state government jobs back closer to the Capitol.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... pment.html

I can see positives in how this might be an ingredient to bringing activity around University by the Capitol.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » May 15th, 2019, 7:34 am

Worth it at the expense of downtown? Per the article, the state leases over 20% of the 6.6M sq ft of downtown office space. Add that to the already high downtown vacancy rate of 20% and that could be devastating. Of course not all of that would move to the Sears site but you get the point.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 15th, 2019, 7:57 am

That's my concern, too. Also, is this as big of a deal now that we built a light rail line connecting downtown and the capitol complex? Even Rice Street station is in the downtown zone. Not only that, but developers have visions of office towers at Snelling station around Allianz Field. I wish St. Paul would focus on dense residential first - the offices will follow (as Minneapolis has seen in the North Loop and Mill District).

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 15th, 2019, 8:24 am

It kinda depends on what kind of office space the State has downtown.

Despite almost no new residential construction in downtown St. Paul, there have actually been a reasonable number of residential units added thanks entirely to office conversions. St. Paul has a lot of really bad office space, (Class A space apparently has a healthy vacancy rate, the problem is that St. Paul just has a lot more B and C) and some of it could and should be converted to something else. If the State is sitting in a lot of convertible Class B and C space, moving those workers out could be a net positive in the medium term.

If that *is* the case, I'd hope that KA's plan doesn't go forward without that corresponding plan for the future of the State's offices. Just leaving all of that space downtown and not immediately moving forward with some change of use would be terrible for St. Paul.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 15th, 2019, 10:23 am

I wish St. Paul would focus on dense residential first - the offices will follow (as Minneapolis has seen in the North Loop and Mill District).
That's why I think this is a good idea, actually. Empty out office space that is unwanted by anyone other than the state seeking a bargain on rent, convert it to high density residential, make Saint Paul a vibrant downtown full of people, and then maybe someone will actually want to sign up as a tenant for the West Publishing site.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 15th, 2019, 6:41 pm

The only problem I see with Class B office conversion is the lack of attached parking. Certainly a certain portion of potential tenants/owners wouldn’t mind. But generally parking in close proximity is part of the deal for market rate housing in the Midwest. It would be great if a pioneering developer and the city could work toward more downtown residents.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 16th, 2019, 7:55 am

But generally parking in close proximity is part of the deal for market rate housing in the Midwest.
If people keep believing that this is true, it'll keep being true. St. Paul has one light rail line already, another on the way, two highway BRT routes planned, and one arterial BRT route planned. It is slowly building out a downtown bicycle loop, and is already more walkable than downtown Minneapolis. There's also a huge oversupply of parking downtown generally. Let's hold St. Paul to the standard of a real city, and not of the first ring suburb that it often seems to want to be.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Thank you for your response. There must have been a technical issue with the forum displaying my complete post. Because immediately proceeding the text you quoted I stated that it would be great if a developer took a chance and the city should help facilitate them. You're right that with the growing web of high quality transit in the two downtown areas car free living can and needs to be seen as desirable.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » July 17th, 2019, 8:34 am

When they talk about relocating state jobs to the Sears site is this mostly talking about departments located in Lafayette Park as well as downtown?

What's at Lafayette Park?
DNR
Department of Human Services
Department of Labor and Industry
MN PCA

What's downtown?
Department of Health
Department of Motor Vehicles
MN Board on Aging

Help me complete this list - I'm sure it's far from complete.
Maybe it would be longer than I thought. We have a lot of agencies...

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » July 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

The Department of Employment and Economic Development is in the 1st National building.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » July 17th, 2019, 11:55 am

Department of Commerce is in the Golden Rule Building
Public Utilities Commission is in Metro Square (across Robert St from Golden Rule)
Attorney General is in the Bremer Bank Building

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Sears Redevelopment

Postby lorwest » July 17th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Some other very small agencies in Golden Rule (Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services, Architecture Board). Part of the Judicial branch is in Landmark Towers. Minnesota Housing Finance just relocated into the Treasure Island Center.

I’d venture to guess that most state employees, like me, would prefer to stay south of 94/35e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » July 26th, 2019, 3:16 pm

This spot is perfect place to put in some connections to eastern University ave shops, offices, arts orgs with Capitol area, Western Sculpture park etc.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Sears Site news

Postby Rube Dali » October 26th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Some developers want to redevelop the old Sears store near the State Capitol...into a reality entertainment complex.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/new ... ears-site/
Buildings, what buildings?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Sears Site news

Postby SurlyLHT » October 28th, 2022, 9:18 am

Some developers want to redevelop the old Sears store near the State Capitol...into a reality entertainment complex.

https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/new ... ears-site/
This seems like a dream, does anyone know if they have experience in doing this stuff?

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » October 28th, 2022, 10:22 am

Great! An entertainment venue next to the entertainment venue known as the State Capitol - a lot of competition there. This does not sound like a good redevelopment of the property, but it probably would be a short lived project anyway, and by the time it folds, perhaps saner minds can come up with a really good and realistic plan that provides more housing and neighborhood based retail - and some room for some more government office spillover - to keep the entertainment element in the picture. The parking lots and hulk of the old Sears store need to disappear. How they ever came to be next to the Capitol is beyond me. It was never a good fit.