2700 University Avenue Development

The Most Livable City in America™
spectre000
Landmark Center

2700 University Avenue Development

Postby spectre000 » June 1st, 2012, 7:04 pm

Wellington and Doran Cos. are teaming up on a new 5-story 220 unit apartment building along the CCLRT line.

Mod note: See below for an entirely different proposal from a new developer. Sounds like this one might actually go forward. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36#p50569

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 2700 University Ave

Postby Tcmetro » June 2nd, 2012, 12:41 am

Too bad they aren't going for the mixed-use office/retail/residential building anymore. Would be a nice addition, as well.

Maybe some redevelopment for the Westgate Office Park???

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 2nd, 2012, 1:29 am

Westgate needs to be razed and redeveloped.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 5th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Are they actually moving forward with a project here? Or is the Wellington/Doran proposal pretty much just that?

This is a prime location, central to everything via freeway and right in front of the light rail station. I'd be really disappointed if whatever ends up here doesn't have first-floor retail. If I remember right there was a long-ago plan for a Mississippi Market here.

(Also, while this project is technically in St. Paul I think it fits more in the University of Minnesota forum. Anyone agree?)

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 5th, 2012, 3:47 pm

I wouldn't consider this a part of the U of M campus myself, it's almost closer to 280 than the U.

I think this has a good chance. Wellington has been sitting on this lot for a long time. I gotta think they're pretty eager to get something built. And Doran has been quite prolific of late. They seem to know how to get projects built.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm

I think this has a good chance. Wellington has been sitting on this lot for a long time. I gotta think they're pretty eager to get something built. And Doran has been quite prolific of late. They seem to know how to get projects built.
I wonder who's been doing their financing? Student housing isn't particularly risky but they've thrown up a ton of units in just a couple years when lots of other folks are struggling to get a single shovel in the ground.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

It's definitely closer to 280 than it is to the U of M, and Westgate is officially in St. Paul, but as someone who lives here this area anything west of 280 is more affiliated with the U and Minneapolis than Midway or St. Paul.

But back on topic, it will be interesting to see if this is marketed towards undergrads. From what I can tell, the Jefferson apartments behind KSTP are largely undergrads but the other apartments are not (although there's a decent population of med students and doctorate students, etc.). Whatever goes there will be very accessible to the U via LRT, but I'd prefer a higher quality building and a demographic more similar to Metro Lofts, Emerald Gardens, etc.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 13th, 2012, 7:30 pm

I think Jefferson is undergrad because they cater to the desperate. Jefferson has the heaviest marketing I've seen by far for student housing, and they seem to be endlessly trying to get tenants. No idea what's wrong with the location. Is it too far from University to be viewed as on the bus line into campus?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 13th, 2012, 8:18 pm

I think Jefferson is undergrad because they cater to the desperate. Jefferson has the heaviest marketing I've seen by far for student housing, and they seem to be endlessly trying to get tenants. No idea what's wrong with the location. Is it too far from University to be viewed as on the bus line into campus?
It's not too far from the campus, but it's a huge hassle to get from Jefferson to the social activities in the neighborhoods north of campus (you have to transfer buses or walk quite a bit in the middle of the night).
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 26th, 2012, 2:57 pm

Anyone know if this is actually happening? That is such a prime location...it's hard to believe it has been vacant this long now. I agree it would be a shame to not have a little retail here, with the LRT station being right in front.

The original proposal included a potential grocery store, IIRC

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » November 29th, 2012, 9:59 pm

I presume they are still getting their financing in order.

A small blurb I found awhile back (from August).
http://donjek.com/blog
"I have continued to advise Wellington Management on financing of the City Limits apartments"

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » June 6th, 2013, 10:27 pm

There were people using surveying equipment on this site today.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 15th, 2013, 4:35 pm

I wonder if the equipment you saw belonged to the contractors that are doing work on the Emerald Gardens buildings. I've seen them storing equipment on the site.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » August 15th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Quite likely, in retrospect.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 15th, 2013, 10:37 pm

This is an interesting one. I'm biased living two blocks away, but this is a primo undeveloped lot right in front of a LRT station and surrounded by hundreds of apartments. I hope whatever ends up here is really good.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 17th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Yeah I live a block from there myself. I love having Dunns and also Snap so close (I use both), and a grocery store would be just great. That being said, I'm hoping for the best but not expecting much. It just seems like St Paul lacks the creative vision and initiative that Mpls has when it comes to development. Does anyone know why that is?
Mpls is tearing down buildings (sallys, arbys) left and right to put up TOD apartments and retail along the green line, and meanwhile,what do we have in St. Paul? Talk of a 1 story Walgreens kitty corner from CVS on Snelling and university. Wow.

So, that plot of land is so ripe for TOD, yet it's just been sitting vacant for years. Part of me wonders what it'd be by now if it were just one block to the west in Mpls.
Here's hoping that its some nice apartments with a grocery store....but wouldn't surprise me if we get a parking ramp and a drive through fast food joint with a rapid oil change to top it off.
My fingers remain patiently crossed. C'mon St. Paul....!

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 19th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Yeah I live a block from there myself. I love having Dunns and also Snap so close (I use both), and a grocery store would be just great. That being said, I'm hoping for the best but not expecting much. It just seems like St Paul lacks the creative vision and initiative that Mpls has when it comes to development. Does anyone know why that is?
Perhaps related to income in the area and proximity to the U; looking at http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer alongside University median household incomes are in the $10 to $30 range.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

2700 University Ave West

Postby maxbaby » April 1st, 2014, 2:57 pm

MNdible
is great.

Re: 2700 University Ave West

Postby MNdible » April 1st, 2014, 3:12 pm

The developer has requested $1 million in federal funding and nearly $7.3 million in local tax exemptions through tax increment financing and tax-exempt bonds.

What? Why in the world should a project at this prime location require all of these subsidies?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: 2700 University Ave West

Postby FISHMANPET » April 1st, 2014, 3:17 pm

They're making it 50% affordable.