2700 University Avenue Development

The Most Livable City in America™
Serafina
Block E

Re: 2700 University Avenue Development

Postby Serafina » May 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

I have dreams of walking to a real cocktail bar, which are ever dashed. Don't get me wrong, I love all the craft breweries in biking distance. Coffee shops are great. But I long for a cozy cocktail bar for a cold martini in the summer or a Wisconsin brandy Old Fashioned in the winter, with orange bitters and house marinated sour cherries. But my dream elude me and I sit drinking with my husband on the front porch or in front of the fireplace. C'mon. Help me get out more. I so miss the Cromwell.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 1st, 2017, 3:39 pm

I have dreams of walking to a real cocktail bar, which are ever dashed. Don't get me wrong, I love all the craft breweries in biking distance. Coffee shops are great. But I long for a cozy cocktail bar for a cold martini in the summer or a Wisconsin brandy Old Fashioned in the winter, with orange bitters and house marinated sour cherries. But my dream elude me and I sit drinking with my husband on the front porch or in front of the fireplace. C'mon. Help me get out more. I so miss the Cromwell.
Not a bar, but Caffe Biaggio does a fine martini.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 27th, 2017, 8:23 am

It's official:

Prospect Park apartments add high-end coffee and cocktails
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... e-and.html

A winter opening is planned.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » December 13th, 2017, 8:38 am

This is starting to take shape. If they are as speedy as the Naughty Greek contractor they are going to be done by February.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » January 4th, 2018, 10:03 pm

So Hodges Bend is getting close. They just asked for expedited liquor license recommendation from St. Anthony Park Community Council which they will be providing.

If all the stars align with restaurant license, liquor license etc, they may be open in a few weeks.

Their hours will be something along lines of 7 a.m to 11pm (maybe later on weekend) with coffee, wine, cocktails and food.

Whoever was wishing for cocktails, you'll have them at this place.

They will have breakfast foods til early afternoon (yay), cheese and meat plates, various appetizers (bites), pie and beignets, large plates (like salads, poutine, coubion, poboy etc), espresso bar, cold brew, teas, coffee mocktails and coffee cocktails, and classic cocktails, punches, wine by glass and bottle.

Probably a tich more classy than the Cromwell but pricier also.

I do love the concept with long hours and the coffee, alcohol and food mix. And given the proliferation of breweries nearby, nice to have a place focusing on some other types of alcohol.

They're from Tulsa and have been up here through these last few months getting place ready, so they have experienced a real MN winter already and haven't fled yet.

This restaurant, along with Naughty Greek bring some more late night dinner and drink options to the neighborhood. Really glad these residential developments included commercial space at street level and very happy with the Naughty Greek and Hodges Bend type places rather that national chain burger or pizza joints.

Hope business is good for them

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 5th, 2018, 9:23 am

Strib actually had a write up yesterday, listing the expected opening as Jan. 18.

http://m.startribune.com/coffee-cocktai ... 468042573/

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » January 8th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I peaked in at the construction yesterday- the space is smaller than I imagined it would be, all the seating is along the street level windows in form of high seat booths...very nice long bar with marble counter top - a different approach than the very open, small table, small chairs you see in most places now. Also the decor is more traditional with lots of nice dark wood cabinets, marble bar, upholstered banquettes.

Because it is different than all the industrial/barn, wide open places and it is wine and cocktail-centric instead of beer - seems like a nice departure from most other places going in lately. Its interesting the most of the historic buildings have fairly modern decor and now this new building will have a traditional interior space.

Seems like it will be a cozy place, attractive, not too loud place. Also seems like it will be for those types who are looking for higher quality, coffee, wine, cocktails, food.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » January 8th, 2018, 12:17 pm

BTW - it is really a good thing St. Paul loosened up on its liquor licenses - the restrictions before would have killed multiple new restaurants, bars going into the neighborhood.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » January 23rd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Looks like the coffee/wine/cocktails/restauratn place is now open. They did some sort of soft opening this weekend.

http://www.hodges-bend.com/welcome-minnesota

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... 0QoioIfjAK

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » January 29th, 2018, 4:25 pm

So I'm liking HodgesBend restaurant. Since I live nearby, been there several times since they opened 10 days ago - best thing for the area is that it is open from early morning to late night with both high-end quality coffee and adult beverages and food and they also have some affordable options. Can get a nice breakfast entrée for $6 (served til 3 pm) or a $5 glass of wine if the fancy stuff they have is not your style. Cocktails are great and I am fond of their Irish Coffee. Food is salad, small plates, entrees, dessert and extra breakfast item for weekend brunch. Cozy and classy space. All the food were tried was consistently really good.

Seems like a great place to meet friends or hang out.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » February 22nd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Does anyone live here and can attest to the living conditions? I live over at 808 Berry, which has about 30% affordable housing units. I saw this place only does about 20% affordable housing, which is around 50 units. The 808 Berry really feels like glorified public housing. I know I sound crazy and beyond arrogant with that statement. I can attest to being dirty, neglected, multiple thefts and other cracked out scenarios that I would think luxury housing can avoid. The 808 Berry isn't luxury at all but still. The majority of the residents at 808 Berry are either graduate students or some how affiliated with the University of Minnesota, so there is a small sense of community.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » February 22nd, 2018, 4:32 pm

Does anyone live here and can attest to the living conditions? I live over at 808 Berry, which has about 30% affordable housing units. I saw this place only does about 20% affordable housing, which is around 50 units. The 808 Berry really feels like glorified public housing. I know I sound crazy and beyond arrogant with that statement. I can attest to being dirty, neglected, multiple thefts and other cracked out scenarios that I would think luxury housing can avoid. The 808 Berry isn't luxury at all but still. The majority of the residents at 808 Berry are either graduate students or some how affiliated with the University of Minnesota, so there is a small sense of community.
In regards to 2700 University, you might try asking about it at Nextdoor.com - I set up a Franklin/University neighborhood for the little part of SAP that is between University and 94 and west of 280 up and there are some people from 2700 Univ that have joined.

Also, some of the wait staff at Hodges Bend, who moved up to MN from Tulsa seem to be staying at 2700 - so you might ask them what its like.

ionizer
Block E

Postby ionizer » June 25th, 2018, 9:52 pm

2700 Resident here. If anyone finds this thread from a Google search while researching this building, it's important to point out that Flaherty & Collins ousted the entire front office staff suddenly at the end of March. The new staff is not nearly as responsive as the previous staff. As Spring rolled by the building is not nearly as well-maintained as it was last year. The grass along Emerald and Ellis has died (there's a rumor they're trying to replace it with mulch instead of grass), a good 50-60% of the plants throughout the building are dead and they haven't been replaced.

It's still a good place to live, but the change in management has drastically changed the way the building and community feels for the worse.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » July 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Hodges Bend now has their license to serve alcohol on the their patio and it appears to be dog friendly.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 17th, 2018, 7:46 am

2700 Resident here. If anyone finds this thread from a Google search while researching this building, it's important to point out that Flaherty & Collins ousted the entire front office staff suddenly at the end of March. The new staff is not nearly as responsive as the previous staff. As Spring rolled by the building is not nearly as well-maintained as it was last year. The grass along Emerald and Ellis has died (there's a rumor they're trying to replace it with mulch instead of grass), a good 50-60% of the plants throughout the building are dead and they haven't been replaced.

It's still a good place to live, but the change in management has drastically changed the way the building and community feels for the worse.
808 Berry Resident. The staff is huge. The Berry changes the staff ever 10-14 months, which totally affects the culture of a building. How the 2700 salt water pool? The pool at the Berry is a little small but well maintained. The only amenities I truly use are the sauna and the theater room. The sauna at the Berry is insane. Generally the ideal temp is around 140 to 160 deg F, but if you are crazy you can crank the temperature up to 180 deg F.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 17th, 2018, 10:05 pm

The 2700 boulevards are weird. Wouldn't it be cheaper to plant grass than load it up with mulch every summer? Also, appears they mulched near the building recently, but the boulevards remain dirt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 18th, 2018, 9:50 am

Mulch on boulevards is generally a bad idea. The frequent downpours of summer send it in the street and storm drains.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ionizer
Block E

Postby ionizer » July 19th, 2018, 8:35 pm

How the 2700 salt water pool?
I haven't used it yet, but it's usually quite busy! The kids enjoy it a lot, but it's a little too shallow to do any laps.
The 2700 boulevards are weird. Wouldn't it be cheaper to plant grass than load it up with mulch every summer?
The boulevards are normally grass, but the grass died over the winter and it seems like the building's not footing the bill to re-plant or re-sod.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 30th, 2018, 1:42 pm

How the 2700 salt water pool?
I haven't used it yet, but it's usually quite busy! The kids enjoy it a lot, but it's a little too shallow to do any laps.

The 808 Berry pool is the same. If you want a pool workout I recommend buying a swimming belt bungee. I tie the belt to a lounge chair and put about 70 pounds on the chair. It is perfect for a small swimming area.
The 2700 boulevards are weird. Wouldn't it be cheaper to plant grass than load it up with mulch every summer?
The boulevards are normally grass, but the grass died over the winter and it seems like the building's not footing the bill to re-plant or re-sod.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 3rd, 2018, 2:42 pm

Not in this building, but somewhat relevant is that the Dunn Bros. in the adjacent Metro Lofts building — which has been there for at least a decade and is adjacent to the green line station — just closed. So that leaves two empty retail bays in Metro Lofts. Hodges Bend is going to need some good luck.