Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium

Postby Wedgeguy » November 10th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Due to the proximity of a highly used railroad line, (AMTRAK), I'm not sure how you are going to get Ayd Mill to 94 with out some sort of Bridging over the railroad, like the Broadway/Central crossing in NE, without tunneling the AMR under the tracks. Whether they keep the Selby bridge is a wild card. The bridge was just rebuilt 20 some years ago when they rebuilt Selby Ave, so it is in good shape. That project is a whole other thread that could go on for pages with ideas.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 11th, 2015, 8:08 am

The last thing I heard was that the current (or most recently) preferred alignment would dump Ayd Mill out at Pascal/94, with an at-grade crossing of Marshall. There was no discussion of the railroad, but I would not be surprised to hear at-grade there as well (Wedgeguy - Amtrak runs twice per day, and although there are two to three freight trains a day as well, I'm not sure I'd call it highly used to the point of significant interference).

The city is supposed to be announcing a plan sometime this fall. Or they said they were at the start of the year. So far it's just crickets.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 11th, 2015, 8:50 am

While the railroad may not see much traffic today, that southern alignment is what MNDOT selected as the primary intercity corridor for future regional and high-speed trains. At least that was what the latest draft of the state rail plan said.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 11th, 2015, 8:54 am

Which is more likely, a build-out of that plan or an Ayd Mill fix? And I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious because if that's the case it seems like the city and state will be trying to figure out which purely hypothetical project will inconvenience the other the day after hell freezes over.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 11th, 2015, 10:48 am

I'm well aware that the section of track is used only twice a day by AMTRAK, but it is still used as a route thru for other trains as well. It just makes it more difficult to reroute those trains during construction. The number of trains passing thru there may increase or decrease over time. Part of the planning for the future aspect of reconnecting Ayd Mill to 94. What maybe planned in the future and how would it be tied in or affected by this. But the connection will affect the stadium area and visitor safety when dealing with walking across very busy roads once that traffic becomes part of the interchange.

Like I said earlier, this reconnection subject is a whole thread of its own. But it is important because the traffic it will create in the future around the stadium will be a REAL issues that needs to be dealt with. But for this thread let stay with what will the stadium be like, how will it fit into the urban landscape of Midway, and what synergies can we get from the stadium that help to redevelop the rest of University and Snelling thru the Midway area. Transportation will be a whole nightmare unto itself.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » November 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

When I read about the ownership team having a hand in the redevelopment of the existing Midway Shopping Center, I certainly hope that means that the existing structure would be demolished rather than refurbished. It's pretty hard on the eyes even for University Ave: a one story, L-shaped strip mall in the middle of a huge garbage strewn parking lot. Does anybody have a guess as to their intentions?

Today in the news today it was reported that Roundy's is being bought out by Kroger's and will exit the Twin Cites market. That could be nice timing if they decided to close that particular store and repurpose the land. So, does anyone know is the Rainbow store part of the Midway Shopping Center? And if you know that answer, what about the building that houses Big Top Liquor?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... um=twitter

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » November 11th, 2015, 6:00 pm

As near as I can tell, all parcels making up the Midway Center complex are owned by RK Midway. The Rainbow Foods (like the other few remaining Rainbow stores) haven't belonged to Roundy's since they pulled out of the market last year.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 11th, 2015, 7:45 pm

The entire shopping center site is owned by RK Midway, and it will all be replaced in stages, not refurbished. The exact plans are still in the works, but nobody is talking about saving any of those structures except, perhaps, the old bank building on the corner of Snelling and University.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » November 11th, 2015, 8:28 pm

An article in the latest Monitor says that they expect to announce a master plan for redevelopment in 3-6 months

http://www.monitorsaintpaul.com/minneso ... dium-site/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 11th, 2015, 9:19 pm

My guess is that they want to have the stadium seen from both University and Snelling. The current buildings are a shield that block most views, so they will be phased out as leases expire or are bought out. Will be interesting what their master plan will look like. I'm just hoping that United Properties does not do a suburban plat when they do their master plan. I hope the neighborhood holds their feet to the fire and gets things that will improve the area with housing, office, and retail. The area must be walk able from the LRT station to the stadium.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » November 11th, 2015, 9:39 pm

With McGuire describing the stadium site as "ideal" and "iconic" combined with what seems to be an MLS preference for downtown stadiums, I expect they have a decent level of vision for the adjacent property. I'm sure we won't see "Strip Mall 2.0" and certainly have my expectations set for something higher!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » November 12th, 2015, 9:17 am

Lets not forget the businesses with University Ave frontage: McDonalds, Perkins, and the old bank building on the corner which was going to be a Walgreens but the word is now that that plan might be dead.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 12th, 2015, 10:45 am

Lets not forget the businesses with University Ave frontage: McDonalds, Perkins, and the old bank building on the corner which was going to be a Walgreens but the word is now that that plan might be dead.
The old Bank can be reused. Hate to see that green granite go into a landfill. The rest of it has to go.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 12th, 2015, 11:00 am

It's very, very dead.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 24th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 24th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Yessssssss! Very happy camper.

Here's there other stadium work!

http://populous.com/projects/type/soccer-stadium/

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » November 27th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I could see it looking like Sporting KC, but not as elaborate as some of the international stadiums.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 27th, 2015, 1:57 pm

I could see it looking like Sporting KC, but not as elaborate as some of the international stadiums.
Many of the European stadiums for soccer are on par with the seating capacity of NFL football stadiums. We would be like a minor league team in the European soccer league for size if not a bit smaller to start with.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » November 27th, 2015, 8:59 pm

The Forsyth Barr and Westpac stadiums on that page are both good (Westpac's in my home town).

Forsyth Barr is interesting because it's "the world's only stadium featuring a natural grass pitch under a fully fixed roof." Worth investigating for a soccer stadium in Minnesota.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » November 27th, 2015, 9:32 pm

The Forsyth Barr and Westpac stadiums on that page are both good (Westpac's in my home town).

Forsyth Barr is interesting because it's "the world's only stadium featuring a natural grass pitch under a fully fixed roof." Worth investigating for a soccer stadium in Minnesota.
Interesting. That didn't work so well at the Houston Astrodome.