Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
nate
Landmark Center

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby nate » October 25th, 2018, 7:13 am

A couple thoughts: this is in my neighborhood and I am relatively connected to the goings-on.

1. The stadium does feel extremely suburban at the moment. I’m a little disappointed in the skin - renderings showed as more translucent during the daytime, allowing the dramatic structure to show through. From a distance, the skin looks disconcertingly like a 44 gallon trash bag stretched over the structure.

2. The lack of movement on the surrounding development is concerning. Neighbors generally range from qualified positivity to lots of excitement at the prospect of dense development on this site, so the lack of movement is definitely not related to NIMBYism.

3. The site plan developed a couple years back is dead, dead, dead. The anchor tower at Snelling and University was totally speculative, and a not-very-realistic play for Prine Theraputics, which picked its suburban HQ years ago. There is a very small supply of companies looking for new office space at that scale, and if there were one interested in St Paul, city leaders would steer it towards downtown over this site. This site will likely be a residential and retail area for the foreseeable future. Not that that is a bad thing, necessarily. But I agree with the comment up thread that more jobs in the area would be positive.

4. The fear in the neighborhood is that with zero development movement at the moment, something at a much smaller and more suburban scale will be built out.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » October 25th, 2018, 7:59 am

Are superblocks of this size, especially the development at this density/magnitude ever developed all at once? This site will not just be fully built out in one go. Its going to take time, just like the Ford site. Finding the right users, signing leases, getting building designed, getting contractors is all going to take a little time. If in five to 10 years there is still nothing planned or even rumored, then maybe some apprehension can set in.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 25th, 2018, 8:21 am

I personally think it would be healthier, cooler and more organic for the fringes of the site to develop first, get some residential mixed use going on around the site, get 20k fans there on a regular basis and then try to build the prime corner site once there is more demand and vision for the area.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » October 29th, 2018, 3:01 pm

There seems to be quite a bit of demand for residential near transit. Hello A Line meets Green Line. Why not some tall residential with some street front retail and coworking, smaller office places on, say the second floor. Not that much different than say Vintage, which rents for good money, right?

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » November 24th, 2018, 8:53 pm

I can't find any past posts on "Liffey on Snelling" but it may not matter... The construction trailers that have been collecting graffiti for the past year have vanished and the most recent permit (Architectural Review) is "On Hold". For what it's worth, the website is still active...

http://liffeyonsnelling.com/

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » December 19th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Awesome light show at the stadium right now! Wonder how late tonight they'll be testing...
https://www.mnufc.com/stadium/stream/exterior

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » December 20th, 2018, 6:04 am

I drove past last night while they were testing, something that stood out to me is that cool colors did a much better job illuminating the skin that warm colors did. I wonder why that is and if there is anything they can do to correct it?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 20th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Light show was going even after midnight. I drove past around 12:15 and it was really cool to see.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 20th, 2018, 3:33 pm

April 13th is the debut of Allianz Field as Minnesota United FC hosts New York City FC. Remainder of the schedule will come out after Christmas(and possibly New Years').
Buildings, what buildings?

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » December 20th, 2018, 4:07 pm

They were cycling the colors on the jumbotron / ribbon boards inside as well (according to the webcam) Possibly "breaking in" the system?
Urbanist in the north woods

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 20th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Correct! http://www.startribune.com/all-night-li ... 503251312/

Also, should we change the name of the thread since the stadium has a name now?

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » January 24th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Per MSPBJ, Big V's, will become the Midway Bar and Saloon in March.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » January 24th, 2019, 6:53 pm

The Pioneer Press article gives the most info I've seen yet on the plans for both Big V's and Hot Rods (Midway Saloon and Gibson's) including a rendering! I have long imagined that sort of shared patio for those two businesses, so I'm glad to know I wasn't completely up a tree!

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/24/s ... anz-field/

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » January 24th, 2019, 9:19 pm

More new news! At the Union Park District Council's Land Use Committee meeting on Monday the 28th, Scannell Properties will be presenting a proposal for a mixed-use project on the old Furniture Barn site. Underground and first floor parking with commercial space facing Snelling, topped by five floors of residential. Sounds like they want to break ground this summer!

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » January 25th, 2019, 8:01 am

More new news! At the Union Park District Council's Land Use Committee meeting on Monday the 28th, Scannell Properties will be presenting a proposal for a mixed-use project on the old Furniture Barn site. Underground and first floor parking with commercial space facing Snelling, topped by five floors of residential. Sounds like they want to break ground this summer!
Not to encourage gentrification or anything like that at all, but I hope the building is market rate as a sign of confidence in the area.

Also, good memories of moving a chair from that store on the train and getting all the weird looks. The wide doors on the Green Line are great for all sorts of things.

Also plywood from Menards ;)

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby Didier » February 7th, 2019, 4:01 pm

A small win for the urbanists? Allianz Field will have a team store open daily, year round, on the northwest corner.

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/02/07/b ... -sign-goes

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » February 7th, 2019, 9:23 pm

A small win for the urbanists? Allianz Field will have a team store open daily, year round, on the northwest corner.

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/02/07/b ... -sign-goes
I am as gung-ho as anyone about the stadium as well as what it will mean for surrounding development. But a team store open all week, year round? Seems a bit optimistic. Would love to be proven wrong!

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » February 8th, 2019, 9:29 am

The Wild, Twins, Wolves, and Vikings all have stadium operated team stores operated year round, open all week except Sundays for most of them.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » February 8th, 2019, 9:31 am

The Wild, Twins, Wolves, and Vikings all have stadium operated team stores operated year round, open all week except Sundays for most of them.
I know the Wild store isn't open on Sundays except during games, not sure about the Wolves, the Vikes and Twins have their stores open seven days a week.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 8th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I'm not sure why the other two have them open year-round. I've hardly seen anyone go into them. Especially the Target Field Store...not many people shopping there recently.