Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby ProspectPete » April 8th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I saw a picture of some jersey barriers on Snelling ave near Spruce tree lane. Is that related to the demo or site preparation?
Does anyone know when the MN legislature will be giving the project the green light (from a tax exemption standpoint)?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 8th, 2017, 12:45 pm

I believe that is part of Xcel's utility work.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 10th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Maybe MLS can grow its fan base to a point where networks think they can sell ads at significantly greater rate so that owners would have a broader guaranteed revenue stream. I think that with the proliferation of outlets that can cater to individual fan tastes may work against soccer in the US. Soccer fans can opt to spend their time focusing on elite foreign leagues. MLS may be able to provide a fantastic fan experience that keeps people coming despite the fact that matches do not feature the world's best. Who knows, MLS might one day be able to compete for top players in their prime. For now MLS cannot offer enough to the world's best players.
I've always understood MLS' growth strategy as slow and steady, growing a strong base and working up to signing the big names later. I thought the lesson learned from the collapse of the NASL back in the 80s was don't get top heavy. You see China going the opposite route, with all the money they are throwing at players, i.e. Oscar, Hulk and I think Tevez recently. These are players who are still in their prime. MLS will be able to compete with other leagues because of the draw that living in the US has for players coming out of Africa and South America, in particular. I believe Orlando was a huge plus in Kaka's mind, in terms of a comfortable community to raise his children. I know he is just about done, but there are many more Brazilian players still in Brazil who would love to raise their family in a place like Orlando.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 1st, 2017, 7:56 pm

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » May 2nd, 2017, 9:42 am

I work in construction related business - subs asked us to estimate some stuff on the MLS stadium project this past week. Looks like the plans are dated mid March 2017, not sure when bids are due, and these plans are for general "site" work: grading, utilities, dealing with contaminated soils etc.

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Postby karen nelson » May 2nd, 2017, 9:56 am

From an article posted earlier on this thread "Reiter reported that May 16 is a target date for “earthwork and the demolition of Rainbow Foods.” Big Top Liquor is not scheduled to be torn down until the spring of 2018. Eventually, Shields Street, currently only on the west side of Snelling Avenue, will be extended through where Big Top now sits and skirt around the north end of the stadium. Revised Midway Center site plan This summer, all utilities will be brought onto the site and rough grading of some of the planned streets will begin. It was reported at the meeting that 130,000 yards of soil will be extracted and removed from the bus barn property. Xcel Energy has been working all winter along St. Anthony Avenue to prepare for the upcoming electrical needs of the stadium. - See more at: http://fiftyfive.one/2017/02/minnesota- ... wdiYV.dpuf

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » May 5th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Frederick Melo and Brian Quarstad have a bet about whether Rainbow will be closed by May31. Melo said no way it's closed before end of May.

https://twitter.com/IMSoccerNews/status ... 0082254848

Wonder if there has been any movement with the Rainbow store.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 5th, 2017, 4:22 pm

For what it's worth, I happened to be in Rainbow yesterday and I asked an employee about their impending closure. He told me that the employees haven't been told anything as of yet. He implied that it's business as usual for the time being and doesn't anticipate the store shutting down any time soon.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 27th, 2017, 8:46 pm

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » June 9th, 2017, 3:06 am

Another recent interview about the stadium:

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2017/06/07/d ... oplay=true

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » June 11th, 2017, 4:36 pm

The old Furniture Barn has been set up as construction offices. I'm sure it beats working out of a trailer!

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 15th, 2017, 10:04 am

Another budge forward toward construction,

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/14/mn ... s-st-paul/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 16th, 2017, 10:59 am

More on the stadium from Brian Quarstad at FiftyFive.One and interesting details on the timing of when actual construction could begin here,

http://fiftyfive.one/2017/06/minnesota- ... ly-begins/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » July 8th, 2017, 8:51 am

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » July 8th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Big Top sure is a hopping place from this perspective on a Saturday evening (makes me want to head up there and wave for the camera!) Rainbow looks as bleak as ever.

I have to say, it was great to pass by the site today and see excavation taking place on a Saturday.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » July 14th, 2017, 9:05 am

Just thought I'd mention that ticket sales have reached almost 20k per game now and the "Itasca Society" is nearly full (nearly 11,842 season ticket holders). This suggests that they will have no difficulty filling the new stadium.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » July 14th, 2017, 10:04 am

Fred Melo has a bunch of good info on his twitter feed from the meeting last night. This tweet has some good specifics on timing of construction:

https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/statu ... 5033652226

"Tower crane up by September. Structural steel by Thanksgiving. That's when you'll see the structure begin to pop out of the ground."

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 14th, 2017, 12:26 pm

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Allianz let the news out early that they bought the naming rights.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-un ... 436331183/

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » July 29th, 2017, 11:31 am

So is Hempel just looking to expand their residential holdings by buying a (not particularly large or notable) apartment/retail building on Snelling and Thomas, or do they have something more in mind? It can't be that they just really wanted to own the adjacent sign shop building... but that large parking lot (which they also bought) is a different matter! Since this is just a few blocks from the stadium, I would love to read this as actual developer interest in the neighborhood!

http://hempelcompanies.com/properties/597-snelling-ave/