Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium

Postby Qhaberl » February 25th, 2016, 10:03 am

First of all, I am vary pleased to see the site being developed. I do have some questions about the Strip mall that currently resides there. Does anyone know how long Rainbow's lease is for? I know some of the stores have 10 year leases, at least from what I have heard. Does that mean that somebody will have to buy them out of their current lease? It would be nice to see a real urban grocery store built there.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 25th, 2016, 10:06 am

Now that the soccer stadium is imminent, are there any other major sports stadiums that the Twin Cities is lacking? Is this the last major sports project we'll be talking about for at least the next couple decades?
NASCAR. But really, yeah this pretty much covers our bases.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 25th, 2016, 10:16 am

Did anyone else have the initial reaction I did that the surrounding elements in the renderings are complete fiction? I-94 slopes not covered with concrete and garbage, but pleasant trees and shrubs? Green space galore without a car or LRV in sight? Yes, I know this is not directly on University but It's practically right next to Snelling. The architecture looks fantastic in the renderings but I question how it will look next to concrete bunkers and busy, run-down St. Anthony Ave.

Sorry for the splash of reality. I do think this looks great and I hope it works IRL.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 25th, 2016, 10:24 am

Did anyone else have the initial reaction I did that the surrounding elements in the renderings are complete fiction? I-94 slopes not covered with concrete and garbage, but pleasant trees and shrubs?...
Didn't bother me, I understood the 94 angle to infer the slope would get the vegetation make over.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 25th, 2016, 11:00 am

Didn't bother me, I understood the 94 angle to infer the slope would get the vegetation make over.
Even if they do, they'll be full of garbage in six months. A freeway is a freeway, no matter how greenwashed.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » February 25th, 2016, 11:09 am

Now that the soccer stadium is imminent, are there any other major sports stadiums that the Twin Cities is lacking? Is this the last major sports project we'll be talking about for at least the next couple decades?
Target Center Renovation?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 25th, 2016, 11:10 am

Even if they do, they'll be full of garbage in six months. A freeway is a freeway, no matter how greenwashed.
Given the amount of maintenance that planting would require, I don't think picking up trash would add much to their costs.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 25th, 2016, 11:19 am

They have those crews that go out and pick up trash. I'm sure one of those crews could handle that section in a few hours or less.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » February 25th, 2016, 11:20 am

Target Center Renovation?
Yeah, but that's of much smaller impact than a "from scratch" stadium. There's no room for NASCAR aside from the old Ford assembly site or the airport if it ever relocates. Hard to see that happening on either site though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 25th, 2016, 11:24 am

Why is it so hard to imagine a multi-million dollar project adjacent to the freeway could include landscaping of the public ROW?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » February 25th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Did anyone else have the initial reaction I did that the surrounding elements in the renderings are complete fiction? I-94 slopes not covered with concrete and garbage, but pleasant trees and shrubs? Green space galore without a car or LRV in sight? Yes, I know this is not directly on University but It's practically right next to Snelling. The architecture looks fantastic in the renderings but I question how it will look next to concrete bunkers and busy, run-down St. Anthony Ave.

Sorry for the splash of reality. I do think this looks great and I hope it works IRL.
Thanks I needed that bit of fresh air.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 25th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I think they are referencing the fact that in the presentation they discussed that they would possibly ban cars in the area during game days. That pedestrians would have free reign of the area. Hence no cars in the renderings. Obviously everyday life would be very different.

Also it's also been published that the buildings in the renderings are by s9 architects from new York and are completely fictional possibilities of what could be built there.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2016, 1:40 pm

That's what STS is for. But seriously, I'd imagine they probably have some sort of private grounds keepers or deal with the city. Definitely something they should negotiate!

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 25th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Unless they cap it! This area would be a fabulous place to experiment with freeway capping.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2016, 2:22 pm

Cap it! Cap it! CAP IT!

bus14
Block E

Postby bus14 » February 25th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Top banner headline on Pioneer Press...not covered by Strib.
Strip eventually picked it up of course. I find it a bit odd this site's Twitter account hasn't even tweeted a photo of it. What gives?

Oh wait this is in St. Paul.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 25th, 2016, 5:11 pm

MPLS Butthurt.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 25th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 25th, 2016, 5:36 pm

LOL! Was that posted before the announcement was even made!?