Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minnesota

Postby mplsjaromir » October 27th, 2015, 7:31 am

All the groups represented, white men, Caucasian males, mayonnaise boys, pales bros...

That flag is straight from a white nationalist political party.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 27th, 2015, 8:10 am

And that look on Dai Thao's face. Is it because of that creeper to his left?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 27th, 2015, 8:11 am

1. We live in Minnesota and supporting this team required driving to Blaine.
2. Meh.
Towns!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 27th, 2015, 8:19 am

I suspect that the group of people that can attend a relatively short-notice event held during a workday is not exactly representative of the group that will attend weeknight and weekend games.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 27th, 2015, 8:25 am

There was a black guy, just out of frame to the left.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 27th, 2015, 9:59 am

The the number of youth soccer programs there s]are in the state, I think a few kids will drag there parent to games.
I happened to be inside a car for a brief period during yesterday's rush hour and the good folks on MPR were saying that one of the early lessons of MLS was that this crowd just isn't there, perhaps because they're too busy with all that youth soccer. Or so their "expert" said.
We also have a decent sized immigrant population that is into the sport, Hmong, Latino, Somali, and others. This will be more of a multicultural crowd than the WASPs of our football crowd.
I've always thought that, but with the United out in Blaine, didn't see to see it. It would be great if it works out that way in St. Paul, but regardless, bearded hipsters on bikes drinking craft beer will come.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 27th, 2015, 10:29 am

Living in Uptown I know that there are several soccer games/tournaments that he have seen and heard them play on the field by the Wells Fargo Mortgage on the greenway. I've also seen the same over in Como park with the Hmong community. Having the stadium within an easy transit commute is different than driving out to Blaine for many of them.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » October 27th, 2015, 1:01 pm

I agree that access to the stadium will make a big difference. But I have been to 3 games this season and have to say I have seen a diverse crowd, groups of latino and East African kids and whole families for that matter too. I have loved going to games with my son and on one occasion with my whole family, they don't all enjoy the game as much as I do though. I'm psyched to go to more games when they're in their new digs.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium

Postby Didier » October 30th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Schafer: Soccer venture an asset to the region
http://www.startribune.com/schafer-socc ... 338578362/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 30th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Schafer: Soccer venture an asset to the region
http://www.startribune.com/schafer-socc ... 338578362/
The biggest surprise I got out of the article is that Wendy Nelson, a Carlson Company heir, is one of the investors of the stadium. With her, as part of the Carlson Company, will that lead us to a possible Radisson brand hotel as part of the redevelopment of the Midway Center down the road? The Pohlad's are there for the redevelopment opportunities. Glen Taylor must just be investing to help get team and stadium, bought and built. His goal is more a long range asset appreciation in value.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 30th, 2015, 2:10 pm

My real hope with all of this is that getting these well-heeled folks together thinking about real estate could lead to projects above and beyond the soccer stadium and its immediate environs. The best way to get a truly audacious project in this city is to put some blue-blood money together in a room and let their egos get the best of them.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » October 30th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Just for comparison's sake, Populous designed the new stadium in Houston. 22k capacity for under $100 million.

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7528714 ... 312!8i6656

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7525843 ... 312!8i6656

I have high hopes.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 30th, 2015, 2:57 pm

Yes yes yes! Thanks for that!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 3rd, 2015, 12:17 am

A friend just shared this with me: http://www.twincities.com/breakingnews/ ... e=Facebook
Original Article on Streets.mn: https://streets.mn/2015/10/27/four-neces ... barn-site/

These things would be absolutely fantastic if implemented!
>1) District-Energized, Shared Space TOD

>2) Build Stadium Parking over Interstate 94

>3) Bike that Bridge, Connect the Midtown Greenway

>4) I am not kidding – build the “MSP Observation Tower”

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 4th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Failed political candidate and thoroughbred enthusiast mad at Mayor Hodges for saying no to Dr. Mac.

http://www.startribune.com/editorial-co ... /#comments

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 4th, 2015, 6:39 pm

Lol at prestige and revenue brought by an The MLS stadium.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » November 7th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Was just thinking, this is also really the perfect catalyst to resolving the Ayd Mill situation. Hopefully that gets included in the scope of the planned transportation improvements.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 7th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Was just thinking, this is also really the perfect catalyst to resolving the Ayd Mill situation. Hopefully that gets included in the scope of the planned transportation improvements.
I have to agree with you. The state, the county, the city, and McGuire have to sit down and figure out a very complex traffic situation at these intersections, University and Snelling, and bigger yet, Snelling and I-94 with a look at the future connection to Ayd Mill Rd just east of the stadium site that will affect Snellings and the frontage roads traffic volumes.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 8th, 2015, 4:24 pm

For reference, here is a older map of a proposed extension of the Midtown Greenway into St. Paul.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » November 10th, 2015, 5:47 pm

I have to agree with you. The state, the county, the city, and McGuire have to sit down and figure out a very complex traffic situation at these intersections, University and Snelling, and bigger yet, Snelling and I-94 with a look at the future connection to Ayd Mill Rd just east of the stadium site that will affect Snellings and the frontage roads traffic volumes.
Instead of extending Ayd Mill north along the old rail spur at Albert, how about running it north along Pascal? (would require rebuilding the Selby Ave Bridge over the tracks to include a Selby / Ayd Mill intersection) Widen the Pascal bridge over 94, add a WB off-ramp at Pascal and convert the EB carpool on-ramp to general use. Then, possibly close the frontage roads between Hamline and Pascal - at least the north one. Block off the south frontage road west of Snelling while you're at it
Urbanist in the north woods