Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
nate
Landmark Center

Re: Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby nate » February 14th, 2019, 8:39 am

There was an article in the Midway Monitor about proposed developments directly across Snelling that were presented to the Union Park neighborhood group. I read quickly this morning as my pre-schooler demanded attention, so I think I’m in the ballpark but numbers may not be exactly on.

Development 1 – Furniture Barn site
Six stories, about 180 units, 5,400 sf of street level retail along Snelling and Shields. (yay!)
Rendering shows a U-shaped building, pretty generic.
Underground parking

Development 2 – Bremer Bank site
An evolution of previous proposal for the site. Development no longer includes MNDOT land, developer says it was too expensive to purchase (classic MNDOT)
No rendering for this, going on description only: About 120 units of housing. No height specified. Some underground parking with a small surface lot and vehicle circulation for drive through.
Will incorporate a Walgreens and Bremer Bank that utilize existing drive through/curb cut location (booooo!) 1 additional retail space is planned (yay!)
Alley between site and Central Baptist Church will be vacated.

I’d like to see the site plan for this one, it sounds like a lot in a confined space.

About 40 people were at the meeting; predictable concerns about parking for churches were raised. Neighbors would like some level of affordable housing incorporated into development.

Sounds to me like a tremendous evolution of the neighborhood. It’s really interesting that developers are swooping in on the stadium area but the actual superblock site is *crickets*. I really expected to have heard something on that by now.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 14th, 2019, 8:56 am

These buildings will make a positive difference, but the neighborhood should demand more height from the Allianz Field site opposite. Snelling Ave is 100' wide at that point, you'd want a building of at least 150' in height (one and a half times the street width is a classic rule of thumb) on the east side of the street to make Snelling feel like an urban street and not a suburban stroad with some random apartments.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » February 16th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Just a couple of months ago, Pawn America was going through the permit process to reopen their store at University and Fry. Now TOLD Development is proposing construction of a new bank building on this site. Aside from the fact that it is not a pawn shop, this is a disappointing proposal (a 4,700 sf single-use building on a 7,800 sf site.) They say it will feature "attractive, high-quality materials" and I expect they will propose some "features" like the fake second story windows on the nearby CVS to pretend this is not a cookie-cutter suburban style bank branch. The plan will be presented to the Union Park District Council Land Use Committee on Monday night.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 26th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal on the proposal for the Furniture Barn site.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -twin.html

Scannell Properties’ first multifamily residential development.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 16th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Both the Brew Hall and Black & Blue Team Store at Allianz Field will have their grand opening on Friday the 22nd. Looking forward to the opportunity to see inside!

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/03/15/b ... nd-opening

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 16th, 2019, 8:29 pm

I walked around the stadium today. A few thoughts/observations:

* Overall, the stadium (from the outside looking in) looks really cool. Everything is well designed, unlike some of the older, more cookie cutter MLS stadiums.

* The beer hall is basically a giant tap room, and it's oriented as much to the outside of the stadium as the inside. I'm pretty sure they plan to use this space outside of game days, if not as a full-time bar than at least for some special occasions. Based on the space, I don't see why you couldn't.

* One of the more striking features inside the stadium is how vertical the stands are on both sides. Sometimes these MLS stadiums can feel kind of spread out and bland, but I don't think that will be the case here. Also, in person, the premium seating side is almost a wall. Like a mini version of La Bombonera.

* The area is still a mess of construction fencing. I assume that will all be removed by the home opener, but still it's kind of hard to envision what the area around the stadium will be like. Like, it's hard to envision the path one would take from the light rail to the stadium right now. Obviously there's a lot of work to do both in the coming weeks to finish construction but then long term to develop the area. Still, though, this modern stadium feels kind of random next to a McDonalds and a bunch of strip malls. Getting a few of the surrounding parking lots developed will go a long way.

* I couldn't help but think how perfectly this stadium would have fit in downtown Minneapolis.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Here:s how the space will work on Game Days. https://www.stpaul.gov/sites/default/fi ... erview.pdf
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 16th, 2019, 9:41 pm

The team still hasn't started really preparing fans for getting to and from the stadium. They're relying on a ton of people taking transit, which will inevitably be a mess early on. There's also mention of park and rides, but I haven't seen specific details yet for where those are or who is operating them.

I suspect early on tons of people are going to try to park-and-ride the Green Line. Ultimately the park and rides are probably going to be key for suburban fans. I'm also wondering how they will stop people from parking at the strip mall and big box parking lots right next door. And lastly, I'll be curious to see if Surly charters it's own park-and-ride service. They were getting hundreds of people for each game last year and became almost a part of the full experience. If the plan is to herd people from Surly over to the Prospect Park LRT, I can't imagine Surly will remain a primo pregame spot.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Park & Ride is from the State Fair. Mn Coaches w'll be running that. It will be available for purchase with tickets or through the UNited app. Those details should have been released this week to season ticket holders (all 14.5k of them). Private shuttles are not part of the expected shuttle count in the above doc, but are certainly welcome and will be accommodated in the shuttle loading area. Most of the private off-site parking will be for purchase as part of a long-term package. It's up to Target & cub to police their lots.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 17th, 2019, 8:22 am

Interesting, thanks for the info. Below is the info released to season ticket holders so far, so no details yet on cost etc.
In coordination with Minnesota United, the City of Saint Paul has put together a plan to provide safe and sustainable transportation to and from Allianz Field on gamedays. The Snelling-University area is serviced by both the Green Line light rail and the A Line bus rapid transit systems, and the stadium will feature 400 bike parking spots. It’s important to us on multiple levels — from long-term environmental considerations to simply being a good neighbor — to make it as easy as possible for you to use green and efficient options on gamedays.

If you’re interested in tailgating, we’ll have more information for you soon on purchasing a 15-game parking package at the State Fair lot. There, you’ll be able to gather with your fellow fans before taking the free shuttles to Allianz Field. There will also be more info later on purchasing non-tailgating, season-long parking packages surrounding the stadium, which will be available in extremely limited quantities.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 18th, 2019, 7:54 am

Unfortunately, the stadium has a "no bags" policy that will make it very difficult to practically bike there for a game.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 18th, 2019, 9:16 am

Just pack a clear bag inside a collapsible bike-friendly bag, then stuff the bike bag inside the clear bag once you're there. Profit!

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » March 18th, 2019, 3:06 pm

They also don't allow tobacco products on the premises, including vape pens. The policy against use is whatever, but if you want me to take transit there and don't have a way of checking items on-site then what am I supposed to do? Whether or not I vape or smoke is a personal decision that they seem to be dictating during the trip to and from the stadium, not just on-site.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » March 23rd, 2019, 11:09 am

Heads up for anyone wishing to visit the Brew Hall, there are only a few actual beers available. That's the bad news. The good news, none of them are Michelob Golden Light.
Buildings, what buildings?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 23rd, 2019, 11:11 am

Welp, there go my plans to bring my dad.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Some interesting nuggets here: https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/03/a ... beginning/
Though the chefs weren’t able to tell us all the partners until a media event next week, we do know that Afro Deli, Brasa, Hot Indian Foods and Buttered Tin will have stands in the 19,400-seat stadium.
In that spirit, the venue has, outside the field, a permanent food-truck park that will host tailgate parties before every game.

“It’s open to the public, whether they have a ticket or not,” Van Stee said. “That way, even if you aren’t going to the game, you can come down and be a part of that soccer energy.”

Food trucks will rotate, with the exception of Sutherland’s shiny new truck that he’s calling Fare Well.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 4th, 2019, 10:06 pm

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 5th, 2019, 10:47 am

People who are worried about parking here are missing where the true clusterf*** is going to be.

They're projecting 6,300 people arriving by Green Line. That's got to be comparable (or perhaps higher) than what Vikings and Twins games see, and they're serviced by both Blue and Green Lines, and have dedicated platforms with lots of queueing space. Not to hyperventilate too much, but this is going to be really bad.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2019, 10:55 am

It's going to be a disaster. I remember a couple years ago when we noticed that (probably in this thread) and I was reasonably confident they would have some kind of plan. Maybe not the best plam, but something. Instead they did... nothing?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » April 5th, 2019, 11:33 am

No doubt it's going to be messy with the platform in the middle of the road. Seems like a pedestrian tunnel might be in order.