Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby alexschief » April 15th, 2019, 8:27 am

I asked folks how their transportation went on Saturday and received almost all positive responses.

- Seems like the A Line was a clear winner, with Metro Transit running some of the artics from the C Line. I hope they will be able to make that move throughout the year, even once the C Line begins operating.
- Postgame lines for the Green Line eastbound were apparently a breeze, but it sounds like max waits were around 25 minutes westbound. Metro Transit ran several extra trains, but they might want to consider more. The only people who seemed to have a negative transportation experience were those who got the end of this line, or those who maybe weren't familiar with the system and used the Green Line to connect to the Blue Line to get to the airport/MOA, instead of taking the A Line as a shortcut.
- The state fair shuttle service got good reviews, although I guess there was some issues with the lot being used, and bathrooms at that lot. I suspect that the shuttle's circuitous routing may have been to avoid Snelling, which seems like a good call to me.
- As anyone except for nearby neighbors would've predicted, parking in the surrounding areas was extremely easy for anyone who tried it. There may have been increased use on the three or so blocks in any direction, but beyond that, nobody seemed to notice. As a former Macalester student, that doesn't surprise me at all, it is never hard to find street parking in the neighborhoods south of the highway.
- I saw some photos of full bike racks and I saw some photos of empty ones. I suspect that more people will bike to the games as the weather improves, and of course, sometime in the future if the Midtown Greenway is extended, then it'll be phenomenally easy to get there by bike.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 15th, 2019, 11:14 am

I actually once took the park-and-ride bus from the bus barn here to the state fair, and remember being surprised by them taking the same roundabout route then, too. I figured with so many state fair busses it’d make Snelling a disaster if everyone used it. Maybe the same deal here. The fewer cars on Snelling here the better.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » April 17th, 2019, 8:10 am

I asked folks how their transportation went on Saturday and received almost all positive responses.

- Seems like the A Line was a clear winner, with Metro Transit running some of the artics from the C Line. I hope they will be able to make that move throughout the year, even once the C Line begins operating.
- Postgame lines for the Green Line eastbound were apparently a breeze, but it sounds like max waits were around 25 minutes westbound. Metro Transit ran several extra trains, but they might want to consider more. The only people who seemed to have a negative transportation experience were those who got the end of this line, or those who maybe weren't familiar with the system and used the Green Line to connect to the Blue Line to get to the airport/MOA, instead of taking the A Line as a shortcut.
- The state fair shuttle service got good reviews, although I guess there was some issues with the lot being used, and bathrooms at that lot. I suspect that the shuttle's circuitous routing may have been to avoid Snelling, which seems like a good call to me.
- As anyone except for nearby neighbors would've predicted, parking in the surrounding areas was extremely easy for anyone who tried it. There may have been increased use on the three or so blocks in any direction, but beyond that, nobody seemed to notice. As a former Macalester student, that doesn't surprise me at all, it is never hard to find street parking in the neighborhoods south of the highway.
- I saw some photos of full bike racks and I saw some photos of empty ones. I suspect that more people will bike to the games as the weather improves, and of course, sometime in the future if the Midtown Greenway is extended, then it'll be phenomenally easy to get there by bike.
FYI Bike parking was about 100 bikes on Saturday, but I would expect it to increase when its not so muddy and cold.

The shuttle operation worked well, and yes, it was intentional to avoid adding buses into the Snelling traffic, similar to the roundabout pattern buses use now to get to the the Fair in August/September avoiding most roads near the fair and use 280/Transit way

There was about 1/3 of fans using transit for game one, not too far off from the 40% estimate. WB trains came about as quick as they could, it seemed like as one filled, another pulled up within minutes. Anxious to see this on next Wednesday.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 28th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Midway Walmart is closing... imagine that and before midtown’s Kmart :shock:

Not sure what this means for development besides Hyvee don’t seem like much likelyhood it could be anything but a development kinda exciting and disappointing at the same time. If SuperValu was still a thing I bet they be sweating to see what happens ( hyvee) I doubt they would protest much given they don’t prioritize Cub much now.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 5th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I have an (older) acquaintance who lives in this immediate area. She thinks the closure is crime related. Thinks the neighborhood has (recently) turned to shit and is now totally crime-infested. Shes scared to go outside at night (like literally she will not exit her home when its dark). She won't send packages to her house anymore since too many boxes get swiped. I didn't ask for more info really since it wasn't the time to listen to (presumably) racist bellyaching. But any truth to her words? Are things getting shitty here?
Towns!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 5th, 2019, 1:30 pm

You'll see vagrants right around the Snelling/Univ. crossing, but even those people are pretty harmless. If Target is any indication, things are actually improving in the area and significantly.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 5th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Figured.
Towns!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » November 18th, 2019, 5:51 am

I see that the building that housed the construction offices for the stadium (on the west side of Snelling) was demolished. Any idea what’s going on?

hanslu01
Block E

Postby hanslu01 » November 18th, 2019, 9:39 am

New mixed-use development! https://www.stpaul.gov/sites/default/fi ... erties.pdf

There's another one in the works where the old Bremer Bank building is located, just across Shields Street: http://monitorsaintpaul.com/wellington- ... -snelling/

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 18th, 2019, 10:03 am

^ those projects were announced months ago. Looks like Scannell's has broken ground but not sure about Wellington yet.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 18th, 2019, 11:35 am

Wellington is suppose d to give an update at the UPDC Land-use meeting tonight. The furniture barn site has been under work for a month or so.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » December 1st, 2019, 9:04 pm

There are rumors floating around that the (recently renovated) Midway Cub Foods will be closing. I don't know how much stock to take in that, but TCF customers have received notice that their in-store branch will be closing. Would love to hear of a proposal from Kraus Anderson on their recently acquired property!

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 1st, 2019, 11:30 pm

There are rumors floating around that the (recently renovated) Midway Cub Foods will be closing. I don't know how much stock to take in that, but TCF customers have received notice that their in-store branch will be closing. Would love to hear of a proposal from Kraus Anderson on their recently acquired property!
It might be that TCF has decided to move out to the old Pawn America lot on the other side of Snelling, or that Cub is being forced out to cater to the whims of K-A. Heck, I could see that whole block being closed within 6 months.
Buildings, what buildings?

nstudenski
Metrodome

Postby nstudenski » December 6th, 2019, 10:34 am

Do you think the whole block will go at the same time? Is there benefit to developing such a large parcel simultaneously? I could see it going in 3 or 4 phases.

Development of walmart seems most imminent. (I went to their liquidation sale last week. felt like a cool post apocalyptic type scenario. good deals if anyone's in the market for an electric forklift or some weird old break room furniture)

I'm not sure about the statuses of the Cub/Dollar Tree/TJ Max leases. Given the situation with the Cub's corporate parent I wouldn't be surprised if they were entertaining a lease buyout.

Herbergers also seems ripe for redevelopment, I think the only thing left on that parcel is a vape store. But who owns that land? I see a sale in January to "BTD MIDWAY MARKETPLACE LLC c/o CO TIGER CAPITAL GROUP LLC" and it doesn't look like it was included in the KA purchase.

KA also owns LA fitness and the strip mall north of it, which has a handful of small tenants including a Leeann Chin that just finished a renovation this fall. Redevelopment of that parcel seems the least immediately likely to me. Most of those businesses seem relatively busy, so I wouldn't imagine any of them eager to drop their lease. Then again I don't know that much about lease negotiation/buyout. I imagine it's just kind of a financial decision - especially for a corporate chain which many of those businesses are.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » December 6th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Tiger Capital was the liquidator for Bon-Ton/Herberger's. I understand they pulled the Midway store from their property auction early last year because they were working directly with a buyer, but nothing seems to have happened on that front. It is quite possible that the interested party was Kraus Anderson, given their purchase of the other properties on this block.

Adding the Herberger's parcel to what they already have would really open up a major development opportunity and allow for some sort of street grid to be built out. I would love to see the long discussed extension of Shields Ave. from the stadium all the way through the Target block. Of course, that would require demolition of a good portion of the remaining Midway Center, but I don't think that is far-fetched -- a large portion of that wing is taken up by OfficeMax. The last couple of times I was in there, I was the only customer.

In the end, development of this block will likely be piecemeal, but I have been surprised before!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 6th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I know we all want to get away from the big box stores and auto-centric layout but ... it might not be the worst thing if a place like Costco or Home Depot moved into one of these spaces, albeit with a more pedestrian friendly design.

They're places we all go to anyway, but now you just have to drive to Woodbury or St. Louis Park.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » December 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Big box can certainly be built in ways that work better within the city than a typical suburban design, but it usually isn't (the Midway Target is a good example of a missed opportunity). Costco could probably do well here... Home Depot once had plans for a store on the bus barn site, but they are hardly in expansion mode these days. I think if any large-format retail were proposed, there would be some good pressure to better utilize the site - maybe built with residential above.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

That’s the key, it must be built with residential, office, or entertainment above it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » December 7th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Costco is the last store I want anywhere in St Paul, much less Midway.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » December 7th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Development of walmart seems most imminent. (I went to their liquidation sale last week. felt like a cool post apocalyptic type scenario. good deals if anyone's in the market for an electric forklift or some weird old break room furniture)
Which is kind of funny since the store closed in September. And yes, the vibe was very much post-apocalypse when I made my last visit(same for my last visit to the KMart off 35E).
Buildings, what buildings?