Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
at40man
Rice Park

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby at40man » January 30th, 2017, 11:54 am

I don't understand this reasoning, “HyVee would like to go in there, and that would just kill the Cub,” Livingston said. “It’s cheaper to have a near-empty store than have Hy-Vee come in there and kick the crap out of you. You don’t keep a store like that open unless it’s to keep you from getting your butt kicked by a competitor. … This is obviously a defensive move.”

If the stadium goes in there, won't that mean that no other supermarket would be able go in that same spot? You'd think Supervalu would be in favor of the stadium taking up that spot so Hy-Vee can't move in.

I understand the discounts for the neighboring tenants issue, but not the "defensive move" by Supervalu.
High V is not likely going to try to locate in the Midway. Someone else might, but not High V. Their 95,000 sq ft. stores are too large and they'd have to gobble up non-vacant property and demolish. Plus, the reason why High V is opening in Robbinsdale (by knocking down a historic building) is because then they could be "in" Minneapolis, without having to pay higher wages and taxes in Minneapolis.

I don't see that highly over-rated store opening up shop in St. Paul.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 30th, 2017, 12:32 pm

For transparency's sake, why do you have so much negativity toward Hy-Vee?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 30th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Maybe because they're a big-box Iowa grocery store trying to become a national, or at least regional, big-box grocery store by using huge anti-urban store designs?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 30th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Finally, and unrelated, Charlie Walters says that Delta Air Lines could be in play for naming rights at the stadium. Delta formerly sponsored the NBA stadium in Salt Lake City, another hub, but that ended in 2006. As far as I can tell, Delta doesn't have another major stadium, though American Airlines and Air Canada both sponsor NBA/NHL arenas, so it seems reasonable enough that Delta might be interested in this one.
Makes sense. Consider that Delta has a strong presence in Latin America, and MLS games are likely to play fairly well in those markets relative to the (I'm sure very low) cost of naming rights.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Maybe because they're a big-box Iowa grocery store trying to become a national, or at least regional, big-box grocery store by using huge anti-urban store designs?
This, exactly.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 30th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I don't have a horse in this race, but it's not like anti-urban grocery stores are unique to Hy-Vee.

Everyone has their grocery store preferences, but usually there's not so much animosity toward the stores you don't like. Just thought it'd be helpful to know the bias when reading into a post like that.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 30th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Like almost every major big box retailer, HyVee is experimenting with a more urban format with a store in downtown Des Moines. I expect if it's successful, we'll see one up here quickly. Possibly in this location.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 30th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I don't have a horse in this race, but it's not like anti-urban grocery stores are unique to Hy-Vee.

Everyone has their grocery store preferences, but usually there's not so much animosity toward the stores you don't like. Just thought it'd be helpful to know the bias when reading into a post like that.
I suppose my bias is that I was connected with the Terrace and the folks that had been working on getting it listed in the National Register -- but I only was connected once I heard that High V was wanting that property demolished. And once I found out how High V actually operates their stores, and the massive lies that were told in Robbinsdale, I lost respect for the company entirely. High V sucks.

I'm just as harsh with Macy's, though for different reasons. But we're getting off into the weeds here.

I can't imagine that one of the three remnants of Rainbow Foods could hold up an entire stadium deal from happening. SuperValu must be playing hard ball.
Like almost every major big box retailer, HyVee is experimenting with a more urban format with a store in downtown Des Moines. I expect if it's successful, we'll see one up here quickly. Possibly in this location.
When the Terrace was being proposed for demolition, it was asked why they didn't build one of those instead, as it would be a better fit for the community's needs -- residents said they wanted something walkable. High V said that no, they were not interested in building an urban store in an urban area.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 31st, 2017, 8:36 am

The Hyvee concern is interesting, and a legit one for Supervalu. They are keeping that Rainbow location open only for the purposes of blocking a competitor. I'm sure Supervalu would love nothing more than to close the crappy Rainbow and only operate the Cub next door, but they also can't let a competitor slip into that space (whether in redevelopment or in the existing building should the stadium deal fall through). Totally within their right to do so.

I don't think Supervalu is holding out for a big buyout to just walk away from Rainbow. They're holding out for an actual guarantee that a competitor won't be able to open in this development, in order to protect Cub.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 31st, 2017, 9:28 am

They're holding out for an actual guarantee that a competitor won't be able to open in this development, in order to protect Cub.
It doesn't seem like this would be too hard a guarantee to make. Is a supermarket really part of the plans here, to the point where it would be a deal breaker for a developer, if they couldn't add one? Maybe it is, I don't know.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 16th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I debated where to post this, but it's most relevant here: MN United will not be tailgating at TCF, despite all the surface lots. I can only imagine that's explicitly setting the expectation for this urban ballpark they're building. Super pleased to see this.
http://www.startribune.com/break-from-t ... 413960133/

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » February 19th, 2017, 10:28 am

I like that they mention this as the reason:
However, tailgating for events unaffiliated with the University mission does not serve a similarly important purpose for the University. With eight years of experience, the tailgating culture of Gopher events has been pretty well established. Unaffiliated, third party events bring a great deal more uncertainly.
Even though just last season the Vikings played at TCF and they had tailgating...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 19th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Yeah, the spokesperson should have just led off with the reasoning that Vikings games were set up such that nothing else was going on on campus simultaneously, and United games won't be.

Big opportunity for Surly and SV bars, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Well, it's a good thing the stadium is planned to be surrounded by surface lots.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2017, 8:44 am

Rainbow set to come down May 16th. Full permits by September.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 24th, 2017, 9:01 am

Permuts for what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2017, 9:21 am

Stadium and related infrastructure.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 24th, 2017, 9:45 am

Will the rest of the Midway shopping center close down then too?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 24th, 2017, 9:54 am

Stadium and related infrastructure.

Didn't the stadium already have it's groundbreaking ceremony? I thought the stadium was being constructed on the lot to the south of cub foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2017, 10:27 am

No. Leases in the rest of Midway Center will prevent the whole center from coming down at this point.
UPDC did a nice summary write up here: http://unionparkdc.org/our-work/program ... rtaskforce