Phalen Village

The Most Livable City in America™
Vagueperson
Union Depot

Phalen Village

Postby Vagueperson » April 6th, 2018, 7:10 am

There have been a few articles now about the Paster Properties development at Phalen Village (approximately Phalen Blvd and Maryland Ave).

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/05/p ... a-woonerf/

Positive aspects are that huge vacant space is going to be developed with housing, retail, and include a "woonerf" according to descriptions. Negative, however, is the fact that this latest article is describing the retail as a "strip mall" and that the neighborhood is pining specifically for a drive-through coffee shop.

When I asked the district council ED about why no housing on top of the grocery store he told me that developers don't think it would be lucrative (nobody would pay enough to live in them), and the city doesn't want to invest affordable housing dollars in a poor neighborhood. So the housing is going to be senior housing (which can be subsidized).

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: Phalen Village

Postby karen nelson » April 10th, 2018, 3:47 am

Why is it everytime St. Paul redevelops former industrial areas, it turns then into suburb replicas? Shoot, Woodbury aspires for more density, walkability and mixed use in the stuff they have turned over recently than supposedly urban St. Paul does.

To me this looks a like a another strip mall. This development does not seem oriented towards walking, biking, creating new safe, pleasant street fronts.

I agree that adding some height for residential to this plan would be helpful. Why not a six story tower for residential mixed in? Probably parking regs.

And ugh, the misuse of the word woonerf is getting on my nerves.

I like that this apparently has indoor community, that is much needed in MN, and the idea of a plaza and street that can be closed for events is great.. but just putting pavement at same level as sidewalk , surrounded by low density buildings and parking and car oreinted development does not a woonerf make.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » April 10th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Again, I was told there wasn't developer interest to make it higher density. Apparently the neighborhood was desperate for a drive-thru coffee shop and didn't want to wait for something better. Also, many in the neighborhood probably like strip malls. The other commercial area for D2 is White Bear Avenue...

karen nelson
Nicollet Mall

Re: RE: Re: Phalen Village

Postby karen nelson » April 16th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Again, I was told there wasn't developer interest to make it higher density. Apparently the neighborhood was desperate for a drive-thru coffee shop and didn't want to wait for something better. Also, many in the neighborhood probably like strip malls. The other commercial area for D2 is White Bear Avenue...
I'm sure that is all correct but people are also desiring affordable rents,...and I just don't get how a four story residential apartment I that area deosnt pencil out as well it seems to in ever single it her part of St. Paul and suburbs where such is being built all the time. Again, pretty sure parking mins factored in...4 stories would require too much oarking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » June 17th, 2018, 7:11 pm

It's been a long time since I've jumped in on anything since I've been living outside the US for a while, but wanted to chime in on the conversation since I still own my townhouse that's just two blocks away from proposed development.

I do feel that this project lacks ambition. The block could definitely support at least 100 residential units and I'm not sure why they want to put in a grocery store since Cub Foods is night across the street. I think the main issue that the developers see with this property is that it's located in a low-income neighborhood which can barely support $800 rent for a one-bedroom apartment or $1,200 for a two-bedroom.

Selfishly, I hope they can go back to the drawing board on this one and find a better use for this block.