O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

The Most Livable City in America™
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby seanrichardryan » April 16th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Yeah, it's the same spot as the current driveway. That is parking access only for O'Gara's spaces.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby Anondson » April 16th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Those stores with back alley patios are kind of a nice private escape, now will have headlights and car engines right in their face. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

Yeah, it's the same spot as the current driveway. That is parking access only for O'Gara's spaces.
Sure, but that doesn't really make it better. It's still a big curb cut on a heavily-used sidewalk across five lanes of fast traffic.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 17th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Am I the only one who hates off-street parking lots where you pull in, aren't guaranteed to find a spot, and have to turn around to pull back out?

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » April 18th, 2018, 9:16 am

Am I the only one who hates off-street parking lots where you pull in, aren't guaranteed to find a spot, and have to turn around to pull back out?
No, you are not the only one. This parking plan is a swing and a miss.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » April 18th, 2018, 10:21 am

The developers did state that they had considered a second curb cut, pass through onto Selby. I actually think the proposed solution is better than having Snelling and Selby entrances, but yes the parking situation isn't great.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

A look at what’s replacing the non-historic Anondson House on Hague.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ments.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2018, 3:48 pm

This looks fine.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am

I hope Ryan Cos. gets pushback on the parking. 205 parking stalls for 163 apartments and a small amount of office and retail is excessive. This property is on the A-Line, will be on the B-Line in the future, is directly across the street from a grocery store, and is two blocks away from a daycare. There's also the longer-term potential of being on a Midtown Greenway expansion.

This is a site where if you don't provide parking, residents and guests have a wealth of other options, and some percentage could reasonably be expected to forgo cars altogether. I hope that the city, and especially fmr. Ward 4 (just across Snelling) Councilmember Stark, who is now the city's Chief Resilience Officer, will make a point of talking to Ryan and urging them to cut that parking total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 23rd, 2018, 11:31 am

Unless some of this parking could be banked as district parking for other area land uses. Imagine if 20-40 spaces could be available for contract parking to non-tenants, which could then lower the parking minimums for any smaller redevelopment projects within a couple blocks of here. Just an idea!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

I hope Ryan Cos. gets pushback on the parking. 205 parking stalls for 163 apartments and a small amount of office and retail is excessive. This property is on the A-Line, will be on the B-Line in the future, is directly across the street from a grocery store, and is two blocks away from a daycare. There's also the longer-term potential of being on a Midtown Greenway expansion.

This is a site where if you don't provide parking, residents and guests have a wealth of other options, and some percentage could reasonably be expected to forgo cars altogether. I hope that the city, and especially fmr. Ward 4 (just across Snelling) Councilmember Stark, who is now the city's Chief Resilience Officer, will make a point of talking to Ryan and urging them to cut that parking total.
Just curious, what is the B-Line? I haven't heard of it until now.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » May 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am

Just curious, what is the B-Line? I haven't heard of it until now.
https://www.metrotransit.org/b-line-project

josephmck
Block E

Postby josephmck » May 23rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

I like your enthusiasm, but think it is a long ways off before this would be a neighborhood of choice for a car-free household. The majority of these apartments will be market rate, and those tenants will probably want a parking space. It is tough to park in this neighborhood already. Parking enforcement is strict, and new tenants/businesses will drive demand. It would be unrealistic to build this with fewer parking spaces.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 23rd, 2018, 2:54 pm

As a student, I lived car free in this neighborhood, and the transit options were far worse then.

Obviously it's different when your commute every day is a nearby college campus, and all of your friends live nearby (some of these apartments might be rented by college employees or even students...). But my housemates and I still shopped for groceries, commuted to off-campus jobs, attended events, etc. without a car. In large part because of the colleges, you can complete almost all common errands within the neighborhood. The A-Line connects anyone in this neighborhood directly to the light rail lines, Highland Park, and the useful 94, 63, and 21 routes.

If this is not a neighborhood where you can build less than 1:1 parking in a new apartment building, then there is no neighborhood in St. Paul that qualifies. There are less well connected neighborhoods in Minneapolis where buildings are being built 0.5:1 parking to units. This is really the perfect spot to push the envelope a bit in St. Paul.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 27th, 2018, 8:55 am

Excavator on site. Already ripping up the surface parking lot.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Really? They haven't even gotten final approvals.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 27th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Maybe just ripped a hole for soil samples? Demo was near Hague and Snelling primarily but they had a large excavator and a fair bit of the lot roped off.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 27th, 2018, 9:54 pm

I think there was a gas station at that corner in the past. Tanks?

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 4th, 2018, 7:46 am

Has anybody been by O´Gara´s lately? Has the demolition begun?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 4th, 2018, 8:05 am

They're taking a couple of weeks to reclaim and remove fixtures and details to sell or preserve in new space. No demo yet on the buildings or the houses and no heavy equipment on site as of yesterday. Expect them to rush foundation and demo once the parts are removed since they're on a tight, miss-only-one-st-patricks-day schedule.