O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

The Most Livable City in America™
bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby bubzki2 » June 10th, 2019, 8:10 am

This project is up to about 4-stories now. The apartment building will be named "the Harper." A newer rendering is attached to the jersey barriers, and to my eye it looks like they changed (cheapened?) the exterior finishes a fair bit. Looks like more brick maybe instead of that limestone they had shown.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 11th, 2019, 8:20 am

Website is up with renderings. On second glance, they may have actually reduced the amount of cement board on the facade.

https://www.harperapts.com/

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » June 11th, 2019, 10:21 pm

This project does show some respect for the buildings around the intersection, especially those on the west side of Snelling. At street level, it works reasonably well. I'll just ignore the upper levels!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 12th, 2019, 9:28 am

If you scroll all the way down on the website, it's amusing that they dropped the "pin" way too far south on Snelling.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 28th, 2019, 6:29 am

re: the pin placement

Looks like they mistook Summit Ave. for I-94.

I mean, a mistake anyone could make, right? 😝

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » June 29th, 2019, 10:56 am

I love the way they show pedestrians casually crossing Snelling at the Hague Ave. intersection. Even crossing with the benefit of a signal at Selby can be an adventure at times!

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 1st, 2019, 7:45 am

^ luckily there are plans for ped refuge medians in the future. Only Savoy's across the street would be enough to get me to cross there.

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » July 1st, 2019, 3:53 pm

re: the pin placement

Looks like they mistook Summit Ave. for I-94.

I mean, a mistake anyone could make, right? 😝
More like mistaking Snelling Ave S for Snelling Ave N, and not actually looking at the map before publishing it.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 9th, 2019, 8:00 am

Most of the windows are in and the facade masonry is coming along now. My question really is how was the original estimate of Snelling being back open in July so far off? Still down to one lane here. Poor planning with Fairview closed, Hamline down a lane, and Lexington still having work finalized.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 9th, 2019, 8:38 am

Poor planning with Fairview closed, Hamline down a lane, and Lexington still having work finalized.
And yet, life goes on.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 9th, 2019, 10:00 am

Poor planning with Fairview closed, Hamline down a lane, and Lexington still having work finalized.
And yet, life goes on.
Life does go on, but do you see the spillover effects first hand? I do.

Cut through traffic has significantly increased in the adjacent, non-calmed grid streets. I've nearly been hit on foot a half dozen times apparently due to hurried drivers rolling heavy through intersections and stop signs. Our street parked car was totaled by a driver who flipped his car over incredibly. Life is indeed put at risk, whether justly or not, as a result.

I'm all for liberally employing road diets where possible, but Snelling is one of the very few N-S arterials in the area and it does serve a purpose. Finally, before you completely write off my stance, also bear in mind the A-line is also slowed and it's utterly impossible to bike on any of these roads right now as well, with Hamline particularly bad. I've already touched on attempting to pedestrian in the area lately.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 9th, 2019, 10:05 am

None of those things are remotely unusual.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 9th, 2019, 10:13 am

That's what I'm telling you. Yes, they are unusual and different since the construction has been going on. Perhaps they're normal, but they're not usual. Not the same thing. And I repeat, it's the promised timeframe I have issue with, not the construction itself.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 9th, 2019, 12:40 pm

That stretch of Fairview has been closed for several months, and most of the time there’s no visible work going on. Then for a while they decided to close down Prior for a while too. Sigh.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 10th, 2019, 9:30 am

Hamline fully opened back up this a.m.

St. Paul needs another bridge or two over the Short Line tracks IMO. Have more, but lower capacity grid connections over the unfortunately-placed tracks. Too much pressure on the N-S arterials IMO. The biggest need might be bike infra that goes N-S.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 3rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

Looks like O'Gara's won't reopen.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 4th, 2019, 9:12 am

I'm not actually surprised. Talking with the owner of Banh Appetit a couple weeks back, he told me that they'd had every intention of reopening in their old location, but the rent in the new building was so much higher that they couldn't justify it. I'm guessing that's what's happening here. Hopefully they reopen somewhere nearby eventually.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 4th, 2019, 9:20 am

With high-powered Ryan Cos. as consultants, they saw this coming. They knew what they were doing.

Really disheartening as this was a focal point of the "give and take" with the neighbors they managed to appease. They own the building (right?), so I'm not sure I buy the "rent was too high" argument.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 4th, 2019, 11:10 am

I took this more as a "the bar/restaurant was struggling before the close and we've decided it's too competitive to get back in". I am sure that the State Fair business and owning this new building is lucrative enough for them to be comfortable.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » June 10th, 2021, 1:28 pm

I saw what definitely appeared to be construction in the erstwhile O'Gara's retail space on Snelling today.

I think the "yum!" ownership group is developing this. Seems like the right time to get going.

This densifying area currently has a complete lack of watering holes except Augustine's, which is a ways away. This area's nearest breweries are miles away, incredibly.