O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

The Most Livable City in America™
seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3829
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby seanrichardryan » April 16th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Yeah, it's the same spot as the current driveway. That is parking access only for O'Gara's spaces.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 3420
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby Anondson » April 16th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Those stores with back alley patios are kind of a nice private escape, now will have headlights and car engines right in their face. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EOst
Capella Tower
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 8:05 pm
Location: North End, Saint Paul

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby EOst » April 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

seanrichardryan wrote:
April 16th, 2018, 9:44 pm
Yeah, it's the same spot as the current driveway. That is parking access only for O'Gara's spaces.
Sure, but that doesn't really make it better. It's still a big curb cut on a heavily-used sidewalk across five lanes of fast traffic.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7557
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby mattaudio » April 17th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Am I the only one who hates off-street parking lots where you pull in, aren't guaranteed to find a spot, and have to turn around to pull back out?

nate
Landmark Center
Posts: 287
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby nate » April 18th, 2018, 9:16 am

mattaudio wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Am I the only one who hates off-street parking lots where you pull in, aren't guaranteed to find a spot, and have to turn around to pull back out?
No, you are not the only one. This parking plan is a swing and a miss.

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 655
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Merriam Park

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby bubzki2 » April 18th, 2018, 10:21 am

The developers did state that they had considered a second curb cut, pass through onto Selby. I actually think the proposed solution is better than having Snelling and Selby entrances, but yes the parking situation isn't great.

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 3420
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

A look at what’s replacing the non-historic Anondson House on Hague.



https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ments.html

User avatar
Anondson
Capella Tower
Posts: 3420
Joined: July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Location: Where West Minneapolis Once Was

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2018, 3:48 pm

This looks fine.

Image

alexschief
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 176
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 11:35 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby alexschief » May 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am

I hope Ryan Cos. gets pushback on the parking. 205 parking stalls for 163 apartments and a small amount of office and retail is excessive. This property is on the A-Line, will be on the B-Line in the future, is directly across the street from a grocery store, and is two blocks away from a daycare. There's also the longer-term potential of being on a Midtown Greenway expansion.

This is a site where if you don't provide parking, residents and guests have a wealth of other options, and some percentage could reasonably be expected to forgo cars altogether. I hope that the city, and especially fmr. Ward 4 (just across Snelling) Councilmember Stark, who is now the city's Chief Resilience Officer, will make a point of talking to Ryan and urging them to cut that parking total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7557
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby mattaudio » May 23rd, 2018, 11:31 am

Unless some of this parking could be banked as district parking for other area land uses. Imagine if 20-40 spaces could be available for contract parking to non-tenants, which could then lower the parking minimums for any smaller redevelopment projects within a couple blocks of here. Just an idea!

ProspectPete
Union Depot
Posts: 302
Joined: August 6th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby ProspectPete » May 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

alexschief wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am
I hope Ryan Cos. gets pushback on the parking. 205 parking stalls for 163 apartments and a small amount of office and retail is excessive. This property is on the A-Line, will be on the B-Line in the future, is directly across the street from a grocery store, and is two blocks away from a daycare. There's also the longer-term potential of being on a Midtown Greenway expansion.

This is a site where if you don't provide parking, residents and guests have a wealth of other options, and some percentage could reasonably be expected to forgo cars altogether. I hope that the city, and especially fmr. Ward 4 (just across Snelling) Councilmember Stark, who is now the city's Chief Resilience Officer, will make a point of talking to Ryan and urging them to cut that parking total.
Just curious, what is the B-Line? I haven't heard of it until now.

Bakken2016
Landmark Center
Posts: 296
Joined: September 20th, 2017, 12:40 pm
Location: North Loop

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby Bakken2016 » May 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am

ProspectPete wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am
alexschief wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 11:19 am
I hope Ryan Cos. gets pushback on the parking. 205 parking stalls for 163 apartments and a small amount of office and retail is excessive. This property is on the A-Line, will be on the B-Line in the future, is directly across the street from a grocery store, and is two blocks away from a daycare. There's also the longer-term potential of being on a Midtown Greenway expansion.

This is a site where if you don't provide parking, residents and guests have a wealth of other options, and some percentage could reasonably be expected to forgo cars altogether. I hope that the city, and especially fmr. Ward 4 (just across Snelling) Councilmember Stark, who is now the city's Chief Resilience Officer, will make a point of talking to Ryan and urging them to cut that parking total.
Just curious, what is the B-Line? I haven't heard of it until now.
https://www.metrotransit.org/b-line-project

josephmck
Block E
Posts: 11
Joined: April 20th, 2016, 11:19 am

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby josephmck » May 23rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

I like your enthusiasm, but think it is a long ways off before this would be a neighborhood of choice for a car-free household. The majority of these apartments will be market rate, and those tenants will probably want a parking space. It is tough to park in this neighborhood already. Parking enforcement is strict, and new tenants/businesses will drive demand. It would be unrealistic to build this with fewer parking spaces.

alexschief
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 176
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 11:35 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby alexschief » May 23rd, 2018, 2:54 pm

As a student, I lived car free in this neighborhood, and the transit options were far worse then.

Obviously it's different when your commute every day is a nearby college campus, and all of your friends live nearby (some of these apartments might be rented by college employees or even students...). But my housemates and I still shopped for groceries, commuted to off-campus jobs, attended events, etc. without a car. In large part because of the colleges, you can complete almost all common errands within the neighborhood. The A-Line connects anyone in this neighborhood directly to the light rail lines, Highland Park, and the useful 94, 63, and 21 routes.

If this is not a neighborhood where you can build less than 1:1 parking in a new apartment building, then there is no neighborhood in St. Paul that qualifies. There are less well connected neighborhoods in Minneapolis where buildings are being built 0.5:1 parking to units. This is really the perfect spot to push the envelope a bit in St. Paul.

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 655
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Merriam Park

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby bubzki2 » June 27th, 2018, 8:55 am

Excavator on site. Already ripping up the surface parking lot.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3829
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby seanrichardryan » June 27th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Really? They haven't even gotten final approvals.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 655
Joined: September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Location: Merriam Park

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby bubzki2 » June 27th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Maybe just ripped a hole for soil samples? Demo was near Hague and Snelling primarily but they had a large excavator and a fair bit of the lot roped off.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3829
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: O'Gara's Development - 164 Snelling Ave N

Postby seanrichardryan » June 27th, 2018, 9:54 pm

I think there was a gas station at that corner in the past. Tanks?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.


Return to “Saint Paul”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests