Carbucks

The Most Livable City in America™
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Carbucks

Postby talindsay » August 27th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Sorry if there's already a thread for it. I'm now driving by the Starbucks at Snelling and Marshall every weekday morning and I have to say I'm blown away that such a phenomenally terrible land use was approved this decade by Saint Paul. Drive thrus of any sort don't belong in a place that dense, but this specific drive thru amps up the stupidity to a whole new level - the traffic coming in and the traffic going out literally have to cross through each other as they complete the loop, meaning that a literal actual gridlock would happen continuously if the cars were left to their own devices - so they employ a police officer to manage the traffic and prevent the gridlock.

Minneapolis in the 1970s was at a place where they were so desperate to avoid a complete flight of business to the suburbs that they felt like they had to approve awful things that were harmful to the city; in a few isolated incidents they made actively detrimental choices like the Nicollet KMart. But why in the world, in 2015 or so, was Saint Paul feeling so vulnerable that they'd approve such a stupid design? I can't imagine anything this stupid being approved in the last decade.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Carbucks

Postby talindsay » August 27th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Okay, so I'm late to the game. But we don't appear to have a thread on it, do we?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 27th, 2019, 12:36 pm

No, but good timing since Starbucks is currently working on another disaster at Randolph and Hamline...

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza

Postby bubzki2 » August 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm

City of Saint Paul felt it was too risky to avoid exposure to litigation, so they just let Starbucks run roughshod over the city. The engineering/traffic study done beforehand was obviously a farce, and now it won't likely change any time soon. If "we" approve the Carbucks 2.0 then you'll really know this town is still stuck in the 70s mindset.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » August 28th, 2019, 8:35 am

they built a Starbucks at 47th St and Cedar Ave in Minneapolis recently with a drive through. it has not had the same issues, although I was worried that it was going to. Minneapolis only allowed them one curb cut on Cedar (they wanted an entrance too) and I think that helps. It always seems busy, but not so much so that cars are overflowing. I still wish it wasn't there...

Return to “Saint Paul”