Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Twin Cities Suburbs
Tiller
US Bank Plaza

Re: Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Postby Tiller » March 24th, 2017, 11:34 am

They need to start filling in the Maplewood mall's parking lots with apartment buildings, but like 10-15 years ago.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 28th, 2017, 8:20 am

Pretty wild that 3 of 4 anchors at Maplewood are at risk of closing - Macy's, Sears and JCP. There's also a pretty big Barnes & Noble. I'd think if two anchors stay vacant for any period of time, many of the smaller stores will begin to bail as well. Maplewood is already smaller and has fewer "high end" stores that Rosedale and Southdale has been able to retain. It also lacks the attached movie theater and/or sit-down restaurants that the other malls have to drive traffic. I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance of Maplewood going "full Brookdale" in 5 years.

mamundsen
Foshay Tower

Postby mamundsen » March 28th, 2017, 3:59 pm

The immediate area around Maplewood has seen some improvements that give me hope for redevelopment to be attractive if the mall was to fail.

There is a new senior living that was built in the parking lot.
New Culver's and Chil-fil-a restaurants are being built now.
Old County Buffett was subdivided and is now a Golden Corrall and soon to be Aldi.
There is another medical building going up by St John's Hospital.
There is also a new apartment (or senior) building going up just north of the hospital.
I'm sure there are a few others.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » March 28th, 2017, 10:07 pm

I would hate to see this area completely implode as it's my old stomping ground, and still the mall I go to if need be. The smaller tenants in Maplewood Mall have already started to disappear at an alarming rate (mostly from nationwide closures). There is new development as @mamundsen said, including new outbuildings being built in the parking lot of Rainbow to the south on WBA. Unfortunately I think there's just too much retail space in this part of the east metro, with most of it now congregated in Woodbury. Even HealthEast is reconsolidating much of its uses in Woodbury (despite the new 80,000+ sq ft office building being built next to St John's). I'd love to see new apartments built inside the mall ring road, reduce that ring road from 4 lanes to 2 with bike lanes, and more sit-down restaurants and bars added to the outside of the mall. Finding someplace to go out for a drink in this area late at night is almost impossible.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 29th, 2017, 8:54 am

The whole "develop around your ring road" thing seems like an OK retrofit idea, but still far from ideal. If a mall is really going to die (and yes, that happens frequently) why not just blast a new main street through the site west from Lydia Ave alignment. Build traditional neighborhood, profit.

at40man
Union Depot

Postby at40man » November 9th, 2017, 9:27 am

Maplewood Mall will be adding an indoor inclusive playground next to the lower level entrance to Kohl's. That part of the mall has always been the deadest, and given the popularity of the tiny playground one level up I think it will be a nice draw.

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/ ... -next-fall

mamundsen
Foshay Tower

Postby mamundsen » November 9th, 2017, 12:25 pm

at40man wrote:
November 9th, 2017, 9:27 am
Maplewood Mall will be adding an indoor inclusive playground next to the lower level entrance to Kohl's. That part of the mall has always been the deadest, and given the popularity of the tiny playground one level up I think it will be a nice draw.

http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/ ... -next-fall
My daughter is going to love this! We live in WBL and make weekly trips to MM to ride the merry go round. I really hope some of the vacancies get filled and the mall stays relevant. I think there is a really good opportunity once/if/when Sears closes to redevelop the south end into housing. With planning for the Rush Line including a stop at the park and ride and the route 54 extension, MM should be able to pivot into a good node.

Return to “Suburbs”