Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
Capella Tower

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » December 5th, 2018, 11:24 am

Matt McNeil on what’s great about Hopkins.

https://www.minnpost.com/community-voic ... ive-to-be/

There is quite a bit of snobbishness looking down of it I’ve caught via Nextdoor.

Multimodal
Target Field

Postby Multimodal » December 5th, 2018, 2:16 pm

It’s a great opinion piece. I’ve always loved Hopkins’ downtown (or at least its potential), and I’m glad that LRT is helping bring it back.

It’ll be interesting to see if it keeps its affordability over the next decade or so.

Korh
Nicollet Mall

Postby Korh » January 1st, 2019, 10:43 am

Was browsing through the Hopkins city website and stumbled upon a project I haven't really heard before under Current Projects named the "East End Redevelopment"
The projects page doesn't really tell much, only states a study was initiated several years ago and gives a small site plan so I wouldn't be surprised if this project is stuck in limbo if not scarped. But does anyone have any more information on it?

Anondson
Capella Tower

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » January 1st, 2019, 11:34 am

The East End project is more along the status of a wish, a comprehensive plan. It was completed over a decade ago to help guide future redevelopment for when SWLRT station arrives, is up and running, and if someone came along with redevelopment proposals. One give away for how long ago this was done is the south side of Excelsior Blvd still has the buildings from before Hennepin County came through and literally bulldozed half of a small commercial district in order to stroadify Excelsior with 50 mph drivers.

The biggest stumbling block is that Edco owns something like 50% of that area (right in the center) with no intent to move or sell, they said they like their location “thankyouverymuch”.

If Edco can be given the right price they may change their mind. But the city has said at many of the Blake Road and SWLRT events I’ve attended that the East End study will guide what Hopkins will want to see. The street layout is already being tossed aside, however, by the SWLRT Blake Station design. Back when this was done expectation was that the station would be on the 43 Hoops property (it’s owned by the County) but during the LRT design process many in the city asked for the station to be moved to the East End Study side of the tracks (where the pawn shop is) for a few reasons.

1. The 43 Hoops site is quite out of the the way of any visibility from the pedestrian realm on Blake.
2. Siting the station at the pawn shop could help stimulate something close to the sort of redevelopment envisioned in the East End study that was done a few years before.

There were never any proposals that inspired the East End Study, and haven’t had any proposals since. But the East End Study will guide what the city wants to see happen.

Korh
Nicollet Mall

Postby Korh » January 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

still find it a little weird the have it listed under current projects if the East End study is more of a guide to what Hopkins wants to do for development.

Though since its being treated as a guide I wouldn't be surprised if they used the findings from the study for another area in the city.

Multimodal
Target Field

Postby Multimodal » January 9th, 2019, 9:01 pm

The Driskill’s supermarket building in downtown Hopkins was just sold for double the price it sold for 5 years ago.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/01/ju ... ns-stores/

From the story:

“Hopkins is super hot,” said Robert Lunieski, owner of Lunieski & Associates in Bloomington. A professional appraiser and longtime investor, he owned the property in an entity named Brainers Minimus LLC. The Driskill’s property wasn’t formally on the market, he said, but he received such strong interest in it that he decided to sell.

“This is truly a light rail play,” he said…

Korh
Nicollet Mall

Postby Korh » January 10th, 2019, 10:41 am

Interesting. I do remember Driskill"a being remodeled 2 or 3 years ago now, only thing I miss is the old photographs of Hopkins hanging on the walls. Any word on what their gonna do with the property? Kinda hope they keep it as a supermarket count a few specialty markets, it's the only one inside the city's boarders.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Minnehaha Creek Watershed District emailed that the demolition of the Cold Storage site has fully completed.

https://mailchi.mp/minnehahacreek/325-b ... 12f9fba648

This year the next phases are stormwater improvements coordinated with the master developer, then redevelopment of the site can proceed.

Return to “Suburbs”