Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2019, 2:37 pm

#blessed to work at the building with the highest value-per-acre in Minnesota.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 10th, 2019, 8:25 am

Multimodal wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 11:48 am
As an aside, I’m surprised storage facilities are taxed at a high rate. I just assumed they had rock bottom tax rates. Interesting. I guess they’re more profitable than I thought. Outside of industrial areas, though, they’re a terrible land use.
They are definitely not the most vibrant land use, although they have significantly upped their game in the last 20 years compared to the earlier versions.

A realization I had yesterday shopping in Bloomington: the only multi-story buildings on American Boulevard between Lyndale and Nicollet are self-storage -- 2x 3-story self-storage facilities. The Lock Up and Extra Space in particular seem to have fully indoor, multi-story structures with passable design.

The Lockup at Oak Lake and N 7th St is particularly well done, with ground floor retail that I'm sure was included at the behest of the city. Wonder if it'll ever get leased. Nice materials, nice window coverage on three sides.

The Bloomington ones are not that well-designed, but still much better than the old generation of low-slung garages. I wonder if someone who knows more details about property tax can explain why they are taxed so highly. Per square foot of rentable space, the rates are often decently high.

(I won't blame the land use for it, but it is also kind of depressing how much self storage gets used by people with a regular-sized, totally usable apartment or house. We need to do better at getting rid of stuff we don't want anymore. I like the concept of "storing" your stuff on Craigslist)

Multimodal
Target Field

Postby Multimodal » February 10th, 2019, 8:39 am

Ground floor retail would certainly make self-storage nicer, although I doubt people putting stuff in storage would want to buy more stuff.

Services make make sense, but gyms & yoga probably don’t make sense, as you’re exhausted from moving everything.

Maybe a coffee shop or café?

And it’s sad that they are the only multi-story buildings, and that people use them so much. I used them once, after getting divorced, and vowed I’d never use them again.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 11th, 2019, 2:33 pm

mattaudio wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 2:37 pm
#blessed to work at the building with the highest value-per-acre in Minnesota.
Wells Fargo Center?

I'd guess that if you could somehow break out just the tower portion of IDS, it would be higher.

QuietBlue
Rice Park

Postby QuietBlue » February 11th, 2019, 2:56 pm

sdho wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 8:25 am
(I won't blame the land use for it, but it is also kind of depressing how much self storage gets used by people with a regular-sized, totally usable apartment or house. We need to do better at getting rid of stuff we don't want anymore. I like the concept of "storing" your stuff on Craigslist)
I mostly agree with this -- that said, there are situations where having a storage unit makes sense (such as for items you only use seasonally if you live somewhere with limited storage space, or if you are temporarily living in a smaller space and expect to have more in the future).

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 11th, 2019, 10:11 pm

QuietBlue wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:56 pm
sdho wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 8:25 am
I mostly agree with this -- that said, there are situations where having a storage unit makes sense (such as for items you only use seasonally if you live somewhere with limited storage space, or if you are temporarily living in a smaller space and expect to have more in the future).
Sure, there are definitely good reasons -- and like Multimodal mentioned, abrupt life events like divorce sometimes necessitate them. But it seems to be really rapidly growing industry, and surely it isn't all essential seasonal stuff that won't fit anywhere else.

A suburban planner I know had kind of a funny thing to blame for self-storage: apartments are just too small these days. According to him, people like these 500 sq ft studios, but everyone actually has at least 700 sq ft worth of stuff. Self storage is the "annex" for your crap. Kind of laughable that everyone just naturally has that amount of stuff and it's an unchangeable human characteristic -- but he may be right that downsizing we're not fully committed to is part of it.

QuietBlue
Rice Park

Postby QuietBlue » February 12th, 2019, 9:15 am

Can't say I agree with that planner. I think it's that people just have a lot more stuff than they used to. Personally, I've always been clutter-averse and generally don't like having things around that I'm not using (with exceptions for practical things like tools).

That said, I'm probably going to move later this year and may get a small storage unit depending on if we downsize or not (currently in a 2BR, but may need to go down to a 1BR to get what we want at a price we can afford). Though that would only be after getting rid of everything we can, and we'd get as small a storage unit as we could.

dajazz
Metrodome

Postby dajazz » February 12th, 2019, 11:17 am

A lot of storage units are now being used for inventory storage. I've seen delivery companies use them as a pick up/drop point for items. I'm sure most are still overflow of people's personal items, but it's an interesting trend.

Return to “Suburbs”