Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Twin Cities Suburbs
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Postby seanrichardryan » February 20th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Let's not forget the fortified Office Depot in City Center & the dumpy yet helpful Office Max at Lake & Nicollet.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » January 10th, 2014, 2:12 pm

"Ridgedale submits first Nordstrom renderings"

"Ridgedale Center is moving forward with major renovation plans that include the addition of a Nordstrom department store"

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rings.html

I am pretty stoked about this. I now have over a year to save up for some jeans and a t shirt. :lol:

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Ridgedale Daytons was significantly smaller than the rest, so when they took over the Carson's real estate, they split the store rather than open a Mervyn's. I don't recall why they couldn't/wouldn't expand the Daytons there.

I also recall a number of people in Eden Prairie wanted a Daytons, not a Mervyn's, but Dayton-Hudson wouldn't budge.

Now I do most of my shopping online or at Wal-Mart, but I recall Kohls was much less of a hassle to shop at than Mervyns, which tended to be multi-level mall locations where you had to park miles from the store.

I'm not sure why the hatred for a Wal-Mart at Brookdale. Not every large piece of land needs to be urbanist, seems like the Ford plant would be a better place for that. Brookdale is next to a freeway and the nearest Walmart appears to be the one almost in Osseo, so that saves them quite a drive. Sears in on it's way down as a company in general no matter what goes in there.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 13th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Two local retailers closing in Galleria. Tenants question if new owner Hines is shifting away from focus on local shops.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/239705911.html

Anecdote: I went to Galleria for the first time in my life last week to look around and kill some time before a movie at Southdale. It's very nice and compact. The tuckunder parking is different. Crave has decent prices on happy hour appetizers. Now that Galleria has moved away from being furniture/home decor centric to attraction national clothing chains (North Face, etc.), they are competing directly with Southdale for tenants.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 13th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Ridgedale Daytons was significantly smaller than the rest, so when they took over the Carson's real estate, they split the store rather than open a Mervyn's. I don't recall why they couldn't/wouldn't expand the Daytons there.

I also recall a number of people in Eden Prairie wanted a Daytons, not a Mervyn's, but Dayton-Hudson wouldn't budge.

Now I do most of my shopping online or at Wal-Mart, but I recall Kohls was much less of a hassle to shop at than Mervyns, which tended to be multi-level mall locations where you had to park miles from the store.

I'm not sure why the hatred for a Wal-Mart at Brookdale. Not every large piece of land needs to be urbanist, seems like the Ford plant would be a better place for that. Brookdale is next to a freeway and the nearest Walmart appears to be the one almost in Osseo, so that saves them quite a drive. Sears in on it's way down as a company in general no matter what goes in there.
I don't hate Walmart. I know what Wal-mart is and that is what I expect. Cheap prices and poor service. That being said I would never ever buy clothes from there. Clothes are to be bought at Nordstrom/Macy's/Len Drusken etc.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 25th, 2014, 6:20 pm

I suppose it depends on what kind of clothes. I telecommute (and even before that we wore jeans and T-shirts to the office) so I don't need to get dressed up, and I am not going to get dressed up by choice. So when it comes down to jeans and stuff I buy from Walmart / Fleet Farm / Kohls / or online. If you're buying suits or nice shirts, yeah, probably Macy's would be better.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 25th, 2014, 8:48 pm

I guess that is the problem with society as a whole. People look like slobs. I get dressed up but I don't consider it dressed up. To each his own and it should't be that way but people are judged by how they look. If you do know how to shop clothes are not that expensive. I guess I see this from a different point of view as looking good is a priority for me.

OPAFiets1
Block E

Postby OPAFiets1 » March 12th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Any idea what the retail vacancy rates are in the NE 'burbs? Just near Maplewood there's the old K-Mart, CC, and it doesn't sound like Myth is long for this world. Last I was in Maplewood Mall there were a number of empty spots and I've not seen many customers in that Macy's for a few years. The strip mall to the north of Macy's seems to often have space available. Can't remember if the old BB ever got filled.

With so much shopping being done online, do we need anywhere near all of this space? Should much of it be converted to office or residential?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 13th, 2014, 7:35 am

We haven't seen anything yet...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101353168

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 2nd, 2014, 2:52 pm

Was by Ridgedale today, have not been out by it is ages. Did they just reface the Macy's or did they add on to the store? Also I thought work on the Nordstrom's store was well underway. But it looks like that has been no demolition unless that is happening inside of the old Donaldsons store.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 2nd, 2014, 4:09 pm

Was by Ridgedale today, have not been out by it is ages. Did they just reface the Macy's or did they add on to the store? Also I thought work on the Nordstrom's store was well underway. But it looks like that has been no demolition unless that is happening inside of the old Donaldsons store.
They did add to the old Macy's. I believe they were working on only 1 Macy's at a time... As it complete the New Macy's first. Then start work on the Nordstrom space.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » April 2nd, 2014, 4:37 pm

Any idea what the retail vacancy rates are in the NE 'burbs? Just near Maplewood there's the old K-Mart, CC, and it doesn't sound like Myth is long for this world. Last I was in Maplewood Mall there were a number of empty spots and I've not seen many customers in that Macy's for a few years. The strip mall to the north of Macy's seems to often have space available. Can't remember if the old BB ever got filled.

With so much shopping being done online, do we need anywhere near all of this space? Should much of it be converted to office or residential?
I haven't been inside the Maplewood Mall recently, but as of 6 months ago I didn't think the vacancies seemed particularly glaring. There were a handful, but it hardly felt like a "dead mall". I think the renovation they did a couple years ago really helped.

A lot of investment has occurred near the Maplewood Mall. White Bear Ave was widened and is now concrete. The County Rd D intersection was improved. The old BBY is now a DSW, the old Circuit City is now a LA Fitness, the old Pannekoeken Huis is now a Pizza Ranch. A new strip mall popped up last year replacing a gas station with a Vitamin Shoppe/Mattress store/Verizon Wireless. It looks like there is some digging going on near US 61 & Beam across from Costco, so I think we can expect something new there too. The entire Maplewood Mall area is pretty busy in general, it just needed a facelift and infrastructure upgrades to keep it viable.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 3rd, 2014, 8:16 am

It's always sad to see Pannekoeken Huis's go......they were so great!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 28th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Nordstrom just got a hell of a deal. It bought its land valued at $7M for ... $10.00

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... -land.html

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 28th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Nordstrom just got a hell of a deal. It bought its land valued at $7M for ... $10.00

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... -land.html
"It was an all-cash deal." LOL

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 28th, 2014, 5:24 pm

That got a guffaw from me too!

mulad

Postby mulad » September 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

I hadn't noticed until now that the Becker Furniture at Rosedale is all emptied out. A Halloween store is moving in, though I presume that's seasonal.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 3rd, 2014, 6:17 pm

Like the Kmart in Tonka.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 3rd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Well, I guess they didn't close, just moved to a space on the first four by JC Penney.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 3rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

I was at Rosedale on Monday, there seemed to be quite a few empty storefronts where the previous tenant had just moved somewhere else in the mall.