Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Twin Cities Suburbs
Silophant

Re: Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2016, 10:26 pm

SA stores seem to be significantly smaller than their standard behemoths, but I wonder if Scheels might grab some of them? I believe their only presence in the Twin Cities is Eden Prairie, so they might be interested in grabbing some other corners of the market.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2016, 11:29 am

I could see Scheel's picking up larger stores or better locations. What about Dunham's? They seem to be in some of the regional centers and "lower end" markets around the state. Never been in one.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 28th, 2016, 8:42 am

Crave restaurant set for Eden Prairie Center space
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... enter.html

Bloomington-based Kaskaid will take the 10,000-square-foot space vacated by Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano, which closed in January.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2016, 8:45 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... uptcy.html

The Sports Authority bankruptcy/liquidation news could be nearly as big as the closing of every Circuit City some 7 years ago. AFAIK, all of the former CC locations have been re-occupied or redeveloped (many as big box gyms, Total Wine, Gordmans, etc), though it took many years. With 8 metro area locations, this will have an impact from Riverdale to Burnsville Center. Most are in "power center" type big box strips in close proximity to the regional malls. Many of these centers already have some pretty significant vacant big box space.

One thing noted in the article is that Dick's is not likely to buy any Twin Cities locations, as they already have a pretty strong presence here. Given MSP's strong economy, high incomes, and outdoor/sporty culture, there's still a possibility that another sporting chain without a Twin Cities presence will seize this opportunity and buy several of the locations.

At the very least, we can probably look forward to some clearance sales on outdoor gear, etc. SA is where I've gotten my recent winter coats, some workout gear, softball equipment, etc. I wouldn't buy a bike there, but they have a decent selection of accessories and whatnot.
So as it turned out, no one wanted to buy any of the Sports Authority locations and they went full liquidation. I'm guessing a few of them will sit vacant for a long, long time. A few may become big-box gyms, Total Wines, etc., but I predict that many of the 7 suburban locations will remain vacant for several years.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 28th, 2016, 8:50 am

So will downtown, unfortunately. Nicollet mall is dying.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 28th, 2016, 8:56 am

Yep. All those yuppies moving into all those new apartments are just going to buy everything on Amazon and have it droned right onto their rooftop decks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 28th, 2016, 9:02 am

All those yuppies aren't buying much of anything, Amazon or not, after they pay off their student loans and $1300 a month rent.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 28th, 2016, 9:15 am

That's so true. I never see anyone out eating or shopping these days. Just holed up at home paying student loans.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 28th, 2016, 9:32 am

Tell that to the Gap, Vincent, Masa, Rush Bridal, Jos. A Bank, Dunn Bro's, the downtown council the mayor and the real estate news media. I'm sure they appreciate your anecdata.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... oject.html

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 28th, 2016, 9:41 am

I only see 2 of those that closed due to decline in business. And that was mostly blamed on construction. Vincent wanted to move on from restaurants, Rush Bridal also just didn't really want to do it anymore. Jos. A Bank and Gap are struggling globally. So Nicollet has had some bad luck in the past few years, let's hope that changes.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 28th, 2016, 9:56 am

Someone should also tell Nordstrom Rack, Five Guys and Saks Off Fifth that they just opened stores in a ghost town where humans fear to tread.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 5th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Rosedale's renovation/expansion will cost $76 million. Woah!

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -more.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Between Rosedale and the MOA I'd personally love to see an Indoor wave pool or something like that.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 25th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Sears closing Eden Prairie Center location in November, selling site back to the mall.

http://www.startribune.com/sears-amid-m ... 391340731/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2016, 9:39 pm

EDEN PRAIRIE! Now is your chance to push for a development similar to what is seen at Southdale! Do not miss this opportunity!!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 25th, 2016, 9:55 pm

This was exactly the thoughts I was having talking about this with my wife when I told her. Fill in more of the eternally empty outlot surface parking with residential at the easiest. But a radical change I'd like to see it to demolish the Sears hulk, run Preserve Blvd through over to Regional Center Rd. Create an upgraded entrance where Sears once attached to the mall. On the surface parking south of this new cut through road, fill it in with multifamily residential.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 25th, 2016, 10:41 pm

God, I can't imaging EP as anything other than the super suburb is it today. Quintessential Suburban Americana! I'd love to be proven wrong though.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » November 4th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Woodbury Lakes to add Movie Theater and restaurants.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... movie.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Retail malaise puts pressure on chains to shutter more stores

Twin Cities malls (aside from Brookdale) have been lucky to avoid the national trends thus far, not having lost any anchor tenants in recent years, the worst casualty being Bloomingdales at MOA. None of our regional malls have lost a Macy's, JCP, or Herbergers, though they are all quite dependent on those stores. The more I think about it, Rosedale adding another anchor space for Von Maur seems like really short-term thinking. I give it less than 5 years before one of the other 3 starts closing a number of stores in the metro. The department store closures are coming. The next round of Sears closings could hit Maplewood, Burnsville Center, EP Center, and Ridgedale.

Red
Block E

Postby Red » January 30th, 2017, 9:05 am

EP Center Sears already closed. Happened last fall.