Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 16th, 2013, 4:31 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/187184491.html

"a multi-year project that could involve a hotel, with residential, office, health care and retail components."

"Pentagon Park fell into foreclosure when the real estate bubble burst, causing ambitious redevelopment plans proposed by developer Maciek "M.G." Kaminski of Wayzata Properties to implode."

So basically no specifics whatsoever, but something to keep an eye on for sure! I know Edina wants to essentially re-create the entire Hwy. 100 corridor between Hwy. 62 and I-494, so this could be relatively substantial in scope...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Pentagon Park in Edina (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd)

Postby seanrichardryan » January 16th, 2013, 4:54 pm

They've been doing a lot or renovation to the fabulous 60s buildings along 77th. Instead of the bland concrete, they are getting bold colors and addresses.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 16th, 2013, 9:27 pm

I wouldn't get too excited. They're going through and remodeling the 3 story buildings right now and trying to lease that space. They have done something unique in that they have 3 levels of leasing; each level has its own amenities, larger windows, different wall and floor coverings, etc. Until those get filled up or a large tenant comes calling I would doubt anything new gets built. I think the development area will be concentrated on is the one and two story buildings surrounding the "tower". I believe the tower may even be on the chopping blocks too, simply because it's outdated and would have too many upgrades to bring it up to code.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 19th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Multiple proposals presented for redevelopment, lots of linking water features. All seem to integrate the future Nine Mile Creek regional trail being built. I wonder how much the trail could play in the desirability of businesses locating here?

http://edina.patch.com/groups/5-things/ ... th-failure

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 7th, 2013, 9:31 am

Pentagon Park is seeking approval from the planning commission to change the redevelopment from a residential focused plan to a office focused plan. Most of the buildings would be 5 stories, closer to the interchange they would be 12. It also appears that the new plan would have a whopping 6,000 parking spaces.

EDIT: looks like 3 12-story buildings, 6 5-story buildings, and 8 4-story buildings. The timeline is roughly the next 2-15 years.

http://edinamn.gov/edinafiles/files/Adv ... 20Park.pdf

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 8th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Nice, especially the last page, which shows the updated potential redevelopment lots in the micro region (the last set of updates gave us the Hilton, Marketpointe II, Normandale towers, etc.). There's a lot to be excited about if you're into suburban development, particularly in Edina, however one of the proposals calls for a data center on one of the most prominent locations along the I-494 corridor near Hwy. 100, which I think is a real shame personally!

I really hope they keep Fred Richards golf course. It's actually quite a little gem of a place, and very cheap! It's THE place to take somebody if they're learning how to play golf. If anything, that should keep building space and heights maximized.

P.S. One of the proposed buildings is projected to be over 12 floors, and I'm wondering if that's the hotel.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 26th, 2014, 8:39 am

They are going to make a decision on this massive redevelopment project today. Anybody planning on calling off work and attending this meeting? ;)

BizJournals Story:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... today.html

PDF of Proposals:
http://edinamn.gov/edinafiles/files/Adv ... ,%20MN.pdf

Overview of Proposed Changes:
*Office — 1,420,000 square feet
*Retail — 40,000 square feet
*Hotel — 250,000 square feet (375-425 rooms)
*Parking structures — 6,400 parking stalls
*Housing (would likely replace some of the office if built)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 26th, 2014, 9:02 am

Seems very car dependent. I hope there's a vision for someday connecting to BRT at 100/494. If they did some long-term reorientation of the streets connecting each quadrant of the interchange, into some sort of loop, it could be walkable and served by quality transit.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 26th, 2014, 9:59 am

I'm really not surprised they didn't propose any kind of walkable utopia. That area is far from walkable, and even if the project itself was walkable the entire surrounding area would still remain unwalkable. For now all I can hope for in terms of walkable environments lie within the core cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, and a few neighborhoods in some inner-ring suburbs in Edina, St. Louis Park, Hopkins, etc. I hope one day that the Southdale area can become walkable but it's so far from there right now that I can't really fault developers for not plugging that vision into their redevelopment proposals.

*Edit: It appears that a walkable/green environment IS in fact front and center in this redevelopment project:

Six Principals to Achieve PUD:
1. Green Streets.
2. Integrated storm water as a project amenity.
3. Pedestrian Connections.
4. Connections to all the parcels.
5. Multimodal Connections; transit, bike, pedestrian.
6. Shared parking.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 26th, 2014, 10:17 am

Also from the Plan (Multimodality portion from above):
Promote Multimodality (Exhibits 12 and 22 — 26) — At present, Pentagon Park and the
surrounding district still rely heavily on car use. With all the issues related to favoring the car
— oil dependency and the cost of gas, air pollution and ensuing climate change, social equity,
etc. — this development will strive to promote multimodal access to the site, promoting easy
access to the public . The proposal recommends the following:
• Provide safe access to transit shelters on 77th, and make them comfortable and
inviting.
Link the regional trail to and through the new development to connect with transit
to promote bicycle use as a serious form of transportation as well as a recreational
one.
• Provide state-of-the-art bicycle facilities, including a repair facility, dedicated
spots for shower and inside bike lockers.
• Create "complete streets" within the new development by calming traffic and
providing safe and inviting sidewalks throughout.
• Establish sidewalk connections to adjacent land uses to reduce dependence on the
car and encourage walking.
• Develop a recreational system both that promotes walking, health and wellness.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 26th, 2014, 10:21 am

This is odd:
North Parcel
The North Parcel situated between 77th Street and the southern edge of the Fred Richards site
envisions approximately 900,000 GSF of office uses and approximately 15,000 GSF of retail.
A residential component could potentially be included in the North Parcel if the market
demand exists. A stepped approach to height is envisioned, transitioning from 5 stories
adjacent to 77th Street to a maximum of 4 stories along Fred Richards to relate to the public
open space and neighborhood to the north.
Why is there a need to "transition" between 5 stories and 4 stories, and what kind of ungodly monster of a monolith would 900,000 GSF look like in only 4-5 stories?! I really hope that was a typo, and they meant to transition from 12 stories to 4 stories. Otherwise, I vote a strong "hell-no" to this plan from the start!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 26th, 2014, 10:35 am

Look at these other development projects proposed or under construction in the area, according to this analysis (some of them are noted here on urbanmsp.com, others are not):

**I highlighted all of the proposed development that's within the Normandale Lakes quadrant of this micro-region.

Development Summary of Proposals
Normandale Lakes
Covington Apartments 250 Apartment units — Approved, under construction.

Normandale Lakes
8100 Office Tower 255,000 ft2 of office - Future

Normandale Lakes
Hotel 100 Rooms — Future

Luxembourg
Apartments
282 Apartment units - Approved, under construction

OATI Office/Data
Center
100,000 ft2 of office - Future

Normandale Lakes
Hotel 257 Rooms - Future

Norman Pointe III
Office Tower
312,000 ft2 Office - Future

Marketpoint III Office
Tower
250,000 ft2 Office—Future
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on February 26th, 2014, 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 26th, 2014, 10:38 am

I work in the NW quadrant of 494/100 and often drive 77th through Pentagon Park. It truly is an automotive wasteland, but there is potential for improvement. How much improvement? No clue. That said, if this is done well and intensely enough, there could be enough redevelopment pressure on the 76th Street corridor between here and Centennial Lakes to improve that connection with something similarly intense and mixed.

Thought experiment:
- The Nash Finch HQ could become mixed office/residential with those acres of parking pushed below grade and covered up. The existing office tower could stay put with the new buildings fronting France and 76th.
- I just now realized (with the help of satellite pics) that the access drive to Nash Finch connects all the way to Minnesota Drive through the parking lots to the south. Let's turn this into an actual, real street. In fact, with some creative curving and selective building demolition, it could connect north to Gallagher at Parklawn. Nice.
- The LA Fitness is just an old warehouse shoddily converted, but at least the majority of the parking is tucked away in back. It can stick around for now, as it's clearly an amenity for both residents and workers in the area.
- I can't remember what any of the three buildings between LAF and Parklawn are, but they're all in the way :) The gap is getting narrower.

Actually, maybe I'm coming at this the wrong way. Parklawn from France to where it hits 76th is pretty dense already. Maybe what needs to happen is to connect Parklawn directly to whatever "parkway" is added to the north side of this development and then redo Parklawn to have a landscaped median and a single lane of traffic in each direction. It can still connect to 76th, but make the intersection look like Dupont/46th Street in MPLS where Kings Highway makes its 90° turn. It could be the new entrance to Fred Richards G.C. — which, by the way, I don't think should go away as part of this redevelopment.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 26th, 2014, 12:11 pm

This is odd:
North Parcel
The North Parcel situated between 77th Street and the southern edge of the Fred Richards site
envisions approximately 900,000 GSF of office uses and approximately 15,000 GSF of retail.
A residential component could potentially be included in the North Parcel if the market
demand exists. A stepped approach to height is envisioned, transitioning from 5 stories
adjacent to 77th Street to a maximum of 4 stories along Fred Richards to relate to the public
open space and neighborhood to the north.
Why is there a need to "transition" between 5 stories and 4 stories, and what kind of ungodly monster of a monolith would 900,000 GSF look like in only 4-5 stories?! I really hope that was a typo, and they meant to transition from 12 stories to 4 stories. Otherwise, I vote a strong "hell-no" to this plan from the start!
This area is currently called "the Quads" and in the plans it appears that they want several groupings of buildings again. Had I not been familiar with the buildings I'd say that it seems dumb to tear these down to essentially put something like it in it's place, but these buildings are pretty dated and need some significant work to bring them to the 21st century; new paint doesn't take care of new roofs, air handlers, foundations, etc.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 26th, 2014, 12:15 pm

This area is extremely walkable, in the sense that there are an enormous amount of destinations in walking distance. This area is not at all walk-friendly, in the sense that there are no comfortable and few adequate walking facilities to get you to and from those destinations, and that the built environment creates barriers to walking through its orientation towards cars.

It's great that Edina is considering these facts in their preliminary review of this massive redevelopment. Edina actually has one of the best city governments in the metro, aside from the occasional relapse into parking addiction.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 26th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Edina actually has one of the best city governments in the metro, aside from the occasional relapse into parking addiction.
Agreed. Their Mayor always impresses me -- he seems very level headed and open minded.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 26th, 2014, 1:50 pm

That's because Edina is in the unique position of being able to say no to anything. Something better will always come along, and City leaders/staff know it.

Not many cities have zero risk of overplaying their hand, with regards to asking developers to do things that cost more / things they don't want to do.

Most cities, including nearly all other first-ring suburbs, have to take what they can get (and City leaders/staff know it).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 26th, 2014, 2:30 pm

^We call that the Richfield effect. See: AutoZone at 66th St and 12th Ave, CVS at 66th St and Penn, etc.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » March 1st, 2014, 2:55 pm

Look at these other development projects proposed or under construction in the area, according to this analysis (some of them are noted here on urbanmsp.com, others are not):

**I highlighted all of the proposed development that's within the Normandale Lakes quadrant of this micro-region.

Development Summary of Proposals
Normandale Lakes
Covington Apartments 250 Apartment units — Approved, under construction.

Normandale Lakes
8100 Office Tower 255,000 ft2 of office - Future

Normandale Lakes
Hotel 100 Rooms — Future

Luxembourg
Apartments
282 Apartment units - Approved, under construction

OATI Office/Data
Center
100,000 ft2 of office - Future

Normandale Lakes
Hotel 257 Rooms - Future

Norman Pointe III
Office Tower
312,000 ft2 Office - Future

Marketpoint III Office
Tower
250,000 ft2 Office—Future
Okay, The Luxembourg has been under construction since AT LEAST July of 2010. That is when I first noticed work being done. Is it really going to take them over 4 years to finish that thing? What the hell?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2014, 7:13 pm