Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Postby sdho » October 31st, 2014, 3:16 pm

Suburbanites are scared of parallel parking.
I mean, they manage at 50th & France, Excelsior & Grand, etc. But I think you're right that there may be an implicit bias against parallel parking outside Minneapolis and St. Paul. At the same time, there seems to be an obsession with not touching a single spot, no matter how little-used, within Minneapolis proper... leading to ridiculous outcomes like the rapid switch back/forth between bike lanes and sharrows at Portland & Diamond Lake Rd.

I'd love for everyone to go to more of a happy medium...

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 31st, 2014, 3:23 pm

It would have been nice if they had reserved some land for higher-density residential development along the southern and eastern edges. But I'm assuming that would have been difficult due to the bad blood from closing the money-pit golf course that the cake eaters felt entitled to?
"Who rescued whom!"

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 31st, 2014, 3:55 pm

Hah. You still say cake eater?
Towns!

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 31st, 2014, 3:59 pm

It would have been nice if they had reserved some land for higher-density residential development along the southern and eastern edges. But I'm assuming that would have been difficult due to the bad blood from closing the money-pit golf course that the cake eaters felt entitled to?
As far as I know, that's still in the mix of options for the actual Pentagon Park development (south side of the proposed parkway). Selling public land for private use is very unpopular in Edina politics. Even the notion of selling the public works garage site at Grandview (which people presumably feel less nostalgic for than the golf course) has been met with opposition.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 31st, 2014, 4:11 pm

Hah. You still say cake eater?
Is my age showing? Undoubtedly the next generation has a much more clever and topical epithet, but can you share it with us elderly folk?
"Who rescued whom!"

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 31st, 2014, 4:24 pm

I meant it in a "i thought only people under 16 actually say that" kind of a way.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 31st, 2014, 4:27 pm

Googled cake eater, second result was the Wikipedia page for Edina.

A++ would Google again.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 3rd, 2014, 11:56 am

I am in my 30's, and I have always referreed to those from Edina as "cake eaters". I think anyone who has seen Mighty Ducks uses the word Cake Eater to describe Edina, as that is where the Hawks were from.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 7th, 2014, 1:41 pm

NW short wing/building is almost entirely gone now. It's a big pile of rubble, but there's very little recognizable building left. The NE wing has some of its finishes stripped off the outside and the tower is looking emptier by the day, though it's still intact.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 10th, 2014, 3:03 pm

7701 was completely gone by Friday afternoon. The tower may be a little while yet as there are some fire departments that are going to be running some drills in that portion yet. This demo project is giving some nice, "real world" experience for some of the departments and specialty divisions. There were Collapsed Building units there last week.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » November 18th, 2014, 10:19 am

All the glass is cleared out of the tower, and part of one of the walls.

This morning, Minneapolis Fire Dept was using the building for practice drills:

There's also some ambitious graffiti on top of the tower:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2014, 10:22 am

That looks so un-Edina right now.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » November 18th, 2014, 10:23 am

Perhaps this laughable image of Edina mayor Jim Hovland wielding a sledgehammer will remind you you're still in Edina:

According to the website, the main body of the tower is supposed to come down next week: http://hillcrestdevelopment.com/pentago ... emolition/

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 18th, 2014, 10:57 am

True story: the mayor goes to my church. He's very tall. And very much not a sledgehammer guy. Couldn't be nicer, though. Which may be why he's not a sledgehammer guy...
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 18th, 2014, 11:25 am

True story: the mayor goes to my church. He's very tall. And very much not a sledgehammer guy. Couldn't be nicer, though. Which may be why he's not a sledgehammer guy...
Yeah, except he thinks "public transportation" means roads.

True story: Back in the netherdays I chaired a public meeting on public transportation with a number of suburban mayors, including Hovland. At the end of the meeting Hovland was very (and I mean *very!*) upset that we didn't talk about roads.

Overall he seems like a nice guy and relatively enlightened but he has a real blind spot when it comes to transportation.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 19th, 2014, 12:58 pm

They can stop their drills anytime now. Our office staff has been coughing and gagging since yesterday with the amount of smoke that has been billowing out. The wind has been blowing the smoke right to our building, so much so that it smells like the fire is inside our building.
I'll be glad when they get rid of the tower and get going on the new development.

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » November 20th, 2014, 12:50 pm

^^Am I out of the loop or is there a new development planned for when this tower is taken down?

One observation: Was the Mayor banging heaters and drinking pop before this shindig got started?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2014, 1:30 pm

One observation: Was the Mayor banging heaters and drinking pop before this shindig got started?

Good catch.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » November 20th, 2014, 4:40 pm

^^Am I out of the loop or is there a new development planned for when this tower is taken down?
Yes, this is Phase I of the new Pentagon Park. I believe one ~20 story building, two 8-story buildings, and two parking garages. The long term plan is also to raise up 77th St and create a Centennial Lakes-like pedestrian underpass to Fred Richards Park and the Nine Mile Creek Trail. Not sure if that will happen as part of this construction, or waiting until future phases happen.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Those five buildings around a pond on the west side scream Centennial Lakes office towers. Which, while beautiful, is still very auto-oriented.