Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2017, 7:02 pm

A couple proposals up in Shoreview have come up in the past week that I noticed. One over on Rice and 694, a redevelopment of an aged strip mall.

But this one...

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/04/sho ... fort-zone/

410 units near the Land o' Lakes HQ and Boston Scientific campus. But if I remember, isn't this site at 1005 Gramsie Rd. also practically walking distance from the talked about A-Line extension up to the Rice Creek-TCAAP site?

I kinda wanna chalk this up to BRT line attracting development using the same math Met Council adds up Green Line development. Image

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 6th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Is this the one on Rice/694 you were talking about: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... oject.html ? Which appears to have already started. Do you have any more info on it? That one is a locked article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

On the second one, if we're attributing that to the BRT line, then maybe we should stop building BRTs if they're going to draw companies out of the cities to the suburbs. :)

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » April 28th, 2017, 2:34 am

A couple proposals up in Shoreview have come up in the past week that I noticed. One over on Rice and 694, a redevelopment of an aged strip mall.

But this one...

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/04/sho ... fort-zone/

410 units near the Land o' Lakes HQ and Boston Scientific campus. But if I remember, isn't this site at 1005 Gramsie Rd. also practically walking distance from the talked about A-Line extension up to the Rice Creek-TCAAP site?

I kinda wanna chalk this up to BRT line attracting development using the same math Met Council adds up Green Line development. Image
Interesting, an apartment building in an office park? Isn't that mixing uses and anti-suburban? How is Shoreview getting this development? High density residential development is practically at a standstill in neighboring communities (ie Roseville, Little Canada,) This could be a good deal for all of those employees who are looking for housing nearby. What is going to happen with all of the Land-O-Lakes employees? Are they going to cross at Gramsie road with no light or will they bother walking out of their way to 694 or County Rd F? That could be a bit dangerous during rush hour.
Is this the one on Rice/694 you were talking about: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... oject.html ? Which appears to have already started. Do you have any more info on it? That one is a locked article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

On the second one, if we're attributing that to the BRT line, then maybe we should stop building BRTs if they're going to draw companies out of the cities to the suburbs. :)
That is amazing. For how derelict that shopping mall has been for years, it's surprising they are building something so big to replace it.

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » November 24th, 2017, 11:23 am

Has anyone run across the image mentioned in this article?

[Amazon HQ2 image evokes a galaxy in Arden Hills
By: Clare Kennedy November 22, 2017 11:38 am 0

The image showed a soaring blue and silver tower, set like a gem into a lush network of green space, waterways and plazas.]

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/11/ama ... den-hills/

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 7th, 2017, 6:55 pm

A friend heard that there is a new Curling Club coming to Richfield. Anyone heard about this?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 12th, 2017, 1:51 pm

This Facebook site says it is true: https://www.facebook.com/richfieldcc/po ... 1802072957

Coming to the Richfield Ice Arena at Portland and 66th.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 14th, 2017, 4:06 pm

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 30th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Oh boy. Nextdoor is going crazy about a proposal in WBL. Apparently all 4 corners of the intersection of County Rd E and Bellaire Ave.

Short summary:
- mixed use
- 3 story
-1st floor commercial
- 99 units over 4 buildings
- lots of Nextdoor NIMBY
An actual response on Nextdoor:
NIMBY'er says "Ugh...those 3 story monstrosities would be awful in that space! If I wanted to live by high rise apartments I would move to the city. These would tower over everything else in the neighborgood! I hate to say it but the city is probably drooling over the possible tax revenue of these eyesores and couldn't care less about what we think about it. At least that has been my experience with the city of WBL in the past. I will definitely be at the meeting on the 7th. I would love for anyone else who is available to join me!"
Last edited by Silophant on May 1st, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed tweet embedding

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 1st, 2018, 6:34 am

Those *skyscrapers* don’t belong in quaint little WBL.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 1st, 2018, 8:10 am

Whoa. That's an impressive and surprising proposal for this location. It would be less surprising if it was on a major street like Century Ave or White Bear Ave. Bellaire is like a minor collector street, with minimal traffic as it does not cross 694.

Hope this proposal goes through. I'm guessing it's a local developer with some kind of connection to the area...seems too random to be anything else. A location like this is just so far off the radar. Like I could easily see this type of thing happening in St. Louis Park on Minnetonka Blvd at Texas Ave or Louisiana Ave (and really all over SLP, as the demand is there). Super surprising here.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 1st, 2018, 8:59 am

It's funny that someone would call the proposed development "eyesores" when the intersection currently has two shuttered buildings, a vacant lot (that looks like it was probably another closed business), and a rather sad-looking laundry. Yet that, somehow, is better than what's proposed?

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » May 1st, 2018, 9:20 am

There used to be three gas stations and a laundromat/landscaping company (which I think is still there) at this intersection. The gas stations closed at least 10 years ago, and all have remained empty. Funny someone mention a three-story building as too tall when immediately north of the NW corner is a three story apartment building and north of the NE corner is a school, which is likely taller than any of these buildings. This will be a nice upgrade to 3 empty lots full of weeds.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » May 1st, 2018, 10:01 am

It's funny that someone would call the proposed development "eyesores" when the intersection currently has two shuttered buildings, a vacant lot (that looks like it was probably another closed business), and a rather sad-looking laundry. Yet that, somehow, is better than what's proposed?
But of course it is! With new buildings, someone Not Like Us might move in!!

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » June 15th, 2018, 6:47 am

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 15th, 2018, 9:21 am

Full plans are in this Agenda from the Richfield Planning Commission: http://www.richfieldmn.gov/home/showdocument?id=15421
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 28th, 2018, 5:38 pm

City of Dayton calls for full year moratorium on new housing because of the Woodbury developer fees court ruling.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... o-new.html

In a housing crunch, even on the outer third ring suburbs, doesn’t help.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » September 28th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Honestly I'm not really that bothered by it since I kind rather see more development in the inner ring suburbs to improve density then gradually expand to the outer rings as apposed to just randomly place down pockets of development surrounded by nothing where the only feasible way to get there is to drive.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 7th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Townhomes proposed in Mound near the "transit center"-https://www.cityofmound.com/vertical/Si ... 072418.pdf

Emphasis was put on not wanting mixed-use development. I like the original plan more, and of particular interest to me is that it shows "future LRT" on the Dakota Rail Trail.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 8th, 2018, 9:31 am

"horizontal mixed use across the site"

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » October 8th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I get 404 File Not Found. Searching the site for the file name gets nowhere.

P.S. “horizontal mixed use” is called zoning.