Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
MNdible
is great.

Re: General Suburb News

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2013, 10:57 am

Yeah, some of the quotes are so bad, I can only assume that the reporter told people that they'd be off the record.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 24th, 2013, 11:05 am

You'd like to think people would say stuff like this only off the record. I've read through a lot of Blaine's Planning Commission and City Council minutes and residents pedal the same non-sense when their name, address and statements are being taken down.

Seriously, where do these idiots get this idea that farm fields or wetlands adjacent to their homes won't ever be developed?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 25th, 2013, 8:51 am

Comments aside, I LOVE the notion of mid-priced green homes -- I'd buy one!!

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » September 25th, 2013, 9:01 am

Couldn't the neighbors buy the land and place it into a trust for preservation? I don't know why people don't do this when they live next to prairies. I mean, obviously that land is gonna get developed if you don't.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 25th, 2013, 9:53 am

Best quote of the article: "There's no more prairie in Eden Prairie." As though it's the compact housing, and not the sprawl, that destroyed it in the first place.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 25th, 2013, 3:43 pm

^While they're at it, New York is not "new", and Atlanta is not on the Atlantic. Talk about false advertising!!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Nelson's Meat Market and Bakery moving to St. Louis Park

Postby Ubermoose » September 27th, 2013, 1:11 pm

http://stlouispark.patch.com/groups/5-t ... louis-park
I imagine they are moving into the old the H & R Block location. I'm thrilled that they are moving to my neighborhood.

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Nelson's Meat Market and Bakery moving to St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » September 27th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Also used to be a movie rental place. Could become a nice little anchor for faded intersection.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Nelson's Meat Market and Bakery moving to St. Louis Park

Postby bapster2006 » September 27th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I would actually go to those stores now.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 27th, 2013, 8:53 pm

In Bloomington Popeye's is open, Chick-Fil-A and Duluth Trading Company are almost finished. Streetz American Grill has been open for a while, although I don't go to slow food restaurants there's always a lot of cars there so it must be decent. The neon Great Bear Center sign is broken, I really hope they fix it instead of put up some generic LED sign. I had a local neon guy work on one of my traffic lights, and he says that neon is a dying art, and he's branched into LEDs to make ends meet.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 12th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Now that Linder's is closing I'm wondering what will take it's place. Probably a boring apartment building. You paid top dollar at Linder's, but they had plants you couldn't get anywhere else. I'm guess most people were happy buying purple coneflowers at Home Depot. Linder's will be missed. I'll probably go to Gertens now.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 12th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Yep, I went there many times too. I liked the huge selection. My two honeycrisp trees are from there in 2008.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 13th, 2013, 6:58 am

Love Linders, I have two commercial accounts with them. Who is going to fill the parking lot hoop house niche now? As for the land, it is currently surrounded by some very poorly managed apartments in need of renovations. I'd imagine something commercial or light industrial filling the space.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » October 13th, 2013, 6:27 pm

In Bloomington Popeye's is open, Chick-Fil-A and Duluth Trading Company are almost finished. Streetz American Grill has been open for a while, although I don't go to slow food restaurants there's always a lot of cars there so it must be decent. The neon Great Bear Center sign is broken, I really hope they fix it instead of put up some generic LED sign. I had a local neon guy work on one of my traffic lights, and he says that neon is a dying art, and he's branched into LEDs to make ends meet.
I love the Great Bear Center because of its 1960's design. It is too bad the building was redone in brown and not blue to match the sign.I wonder if this mall has any connection to Bloomington when they had one high school, the Bloomington Bears?

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » October 30th, 2013, 8:22 am

http://www.twincities.com/family/ci_244 ... ween-trend

"Trunk or treating". This is what people do in the suburbs now. Drive to a parking lot to trick or treat out of the backs of cars.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 30th, 2013, 12:15 pm

It sounds more like a church-sponsored event or a fair more than a changing of the guard. It would be sad indeed if children actually grew up trick-or-treating out of the backs of people's cars.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » October 30th, 2013, 2:10 pm

By the way, the article mentions such an event happening in downtown Red Wing. So, it's a little simplistic to pin this on 'the suburbs'.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 31st, 2013, 7:45 am

Lame church sponsored events are nothing new. Just speaking of my neighborhood the trick-or-treaters hit a low probably 20 years ago and have been increasing since then.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » November 9th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Chick-Fil-A now open in Bloomington and Apple Valley.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 11th, 2013, 11:57 am

494 and Penn in the old Target Commercial Interiors building.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.