Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Silophant

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby Silophant » February 28th, 2015, 6:38 pm

The cost of living in the suburbs, outside of driving more, is just less.
So, it's cheaper, as long as you ignore one large category of expenses. I'm fine with split-levels (though not to the point that I'll ever live in one), but this guy is emblematic of why we continue to sprawl.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2015, 8:10 am

Making tract houses more human is not just for the burbs. Here's a memorable redo from last fall.. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ho ... 18131.html
I've also seen another spilt level plan that I can now not find, which was great too. Though it seems like it's much easier to justify major work on an urban split level than a suburban one.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 2nd, 2015, 4:23 pm

^I love that NE remodel. Used to bike by it when my gym was up that way. It's really a perfect location where you get the best of both worlds (single-family home in a quiet, green, suburban neighborhoods, but within easy walking distance of many of the daily amenities people expect.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 9th, 2015, 9:35 am

A new life for dead malls. Instantly reminded me of Brookdale Mall, but instead of a new life they just destroyed it :D

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... =SFTwitter

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 9th, 2015, 2:50 pm

News from a couple of weeks ago: Walmart finally gave up on putting a store in Plymouth, and is putting the vacant Four Seasons strip mall back on the market after buying it 5 years ago: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... oject.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 14th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Suburbs are getting in on the market rate apartment boom.

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/296331571.html

Anyone have insight on what the article drops about Doran exploring Hopkins? My hunch is it must be something near a future station, but I haven't heard or read anything new.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 16th, 2015, 11:14 am

This looks like a nice little project replacing some lonely single family homes in what looks to be a land that time forgot of underused land in the crotch of 169 and 55.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Man, that entire quadrant bound by 169, 55, Boone Ave and the RR tracks is the land that time forgot. I could see further intensification of the whole area as the inner 394 corridor is developed.

papazim
Block E

Postby papazim » March 17th, 2015, 7:19 am

It's coming. You're going to see a lot happening there over the next few years -- mostly housing with public improvements of sidewalks and streetlights. Some things in the works for the industrial areas, too.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 17th, 2015, 10:17 am

Man, that entire quadrant bound by 169, 55, Boone Ave and the RR tracks is the land that time forgot. I could see further intensification of the whole area as the inner 394 corridor is developed.
Who will think of the Red Lobster?!?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 17th, 2015, 10:28 am

The Wendy's and KFC have both closed in the past couple years due to difficult access! The horror!

xanadu
Block E

Postby xanadu » March 17th, 2015, 5:25 pm

papazim, curious what your source is? Are you talking specifically about the 169/55/Boone area?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 18th, 2015, 7:46 am

Forgive me if I've started this conversation before, but what exactly do we call places like Hopkins, Osseo, Robbinsdale, and the downtowns of White Bear Lake, Shakopee, Chaska, etc.?

Old railroad towns? Main street suburbs? Proto-suburbs? I'm mostly asking what people DO call these places, but also wondering if people have any ideas for what we SHOULD call them. In all my experience in geography/URBS courses at the U, nearly 3 years on this forum, talking to people, etc. - there does not seem to be a common, default term that everyone uses. Preferably non-wonky and two words or less. It would be difficult to sell a term that doesn't have "suburb" in the name, as the old downtown area is often just a part of a larger suburban municipality (WBL, Shakopee).

A few considerations:

1. There is a term "Streetcar Suburb" but I don't believe it would be correctly applied to these places, and more correctly refers to normal residential areas of Minneapolis and St. Paul that were built out along streetcar lines. Streetcars did go out to many of these places (WBL, Excelsior, etc.) but it was in a recreational sense (beaches & amusement parks) not for suburban living at the end of the line.
2. Not all of these places are the same. The Stillwaters, Shakopees, and Chaskas of the time of their early development were fully independent places, not really part of the "Twin Cities" pull of gravity. A Hopkins, Robbinsdale, or North St. Paul at the time of its development was more economically intertwined with business activity in the central cities. Today however, they are all more or less the same thing - old towns that were surrounded (and in most cases eclipsed by) sprawl.

So gang, what'll it be? What do we call these places to differentiate from the Burnsvilles, Maple Groves, and Woodburys of the world that have no traditional town/downtown to speak of?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 18th, 2015, 8:39 am

How about "Old Village/Town Suburbs"

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 18th, 2015, 8:48 pm

"Awesome"?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 18th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Ye Olde Suburbes?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

papazim
Block E

Postby papazim » March 19th, 2015, 7:56 am

Yes, the area east of 169, north of 55, and generally west of Boone.

The City Council has already given preliminary approval to a new apartment building on the bowling alley site (and the adjacent property to the east), including using TIF to make public improvements on Golden Valley Road. There is a 45 unit housing project in the works for developmentally disabled adults on the north side of Golden Valley Road. Recently, the City Council gave direction to staff to work on rezoning those two vacant commercial properties (Wendy's and KFC) to high density housing as well as develop a Pedestrian Oriented Overlay tool that could be applied in the area. Finally, with the City approving its brewery/taproom ordinance this winter, there is a small brewery looking to start up just to the north on 10th Ave.

This area is going to receive a lot of attention in the next Comp Plan update process (over the next 2-3 years).

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 19th, 2015, 8:37 am

Hopefully the horrific megablocks are on the chopping block to get cut down to friendlier size. While I admit to using the Decatur exit and entrance, that thing needs to get shut down. Too many terrified drivers freeze up there nearly causing fender benders.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2015, 8:46 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Suburbs - General Topics

Postby Anondson » March 19th, 2015, 9:10 am

I for one am glad to see Wayzata stepping up and hosting an adult entertainment store, it is high time we end concentrating adult entertainment in our metro core. Very equitable.