Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Twin Cities Suburbs
Daboink
Metrodome

Re: Bloomington Central Station & "South Loop" area

Postby Daboink » April 24th, 2015, 7:14 am

Perhaps it is time to remove the quotation marks from the thread title? If the city of Bloomington refers to the district as South Loop, and Google Maps shows the area as South Loop, it isn't "South Loop". I infer the quotation marks to have been added with an eye roll and a sneer, :roll: "how dare that suburb name a neighborhood in the hopes that it helps create identity and a sense of place, only big cities get to do that!". Not advancing discussion here, just throwing out my two cents. ;)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 24th, 2015, 7:59 am

Although snarky quotation marks are exactly the type of thing we would do, in this case I think I used them for emphasis because most people here probably are/were unfamiliar with the term. Also, this thread was a combination of two different ones & that probably contributed to the clunky title. At any rate, they're gone now.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » April 24th, 2015, 8:36 am

Although snarky quotation marks are exactly the type of thing we would do, in this case I think I used them for emphasis because most people here probably are/were unfamiliar with the term. Also, this thread was a combination of two different ones & that probably contributed to the clunky title. At any rate, they're gone now.
Those snarky quotation marks DO seem wholly appropriate in the case of "City" "Place"...

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 24th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Those snarky quotation marks DO seem wholly appropriate in the case of "City" "Place"...

Not really, it just shows how much people hate their own communities.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » April 25th, 2015, 8:57 am

Not really, it just shows how much people hate their own communities.
Mild ambivalence perhaps, but not hate. I have nothing personally against Woodbury. What I think people dislike is redevelopment that fails to take the long view in terms of what is sustainable. That seems to be the general consensus on here about City Place. Bloomington is at least attempting to take into account what the future may bring while working within the constraints of trying to fill in an area caught between a protected federal wildlife preserve and a noisy airport. I know I am leaving myself open for criticism about sustainability because the main tenant of the district is the MOA, but even in a future where drones may deliver my groceries, I am still going to want to try on a pair of pants before I buy them so even the mall has it's place.

Daboink
Metrodome

Re: Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Postby Daboink » June 25th, 2015, 7:35 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 25th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Did they learn the word depth ever?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 25th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Copying the downtown Hilton, I see....

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » August 8th, 2015, 12:44 pm

I have not been over near the new Hyatt site in about a month, but according to the City of Bloomington's newsletter, the IndiGO apartments by Lennar on the adjacent parcel are "underway", and the city page page listing shows as updated in March 2015 with an anticipated start of construction as Summer 2015. Not sure if this means they have started digging yet, but it is a good sign!

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/sites/def ... bf_web.pdf

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/indigo-le ... apartments
Just drove by and the IndiGO site next to the Hyatt site has plastic construction fencing up, the turn lane from American Blvd. to 34th Ave S has been closed to accommodate construction vehicles, equipment is on site and it looks like they have begun grading work. This is a very good sign for this area, I was afraid that the same delays we were seeing at Lennar's Edina site were going to hamper this project and slow down the whole South Loop in general. As a side note, thankfully this area has rail transit at its doorstep, I am very hopeful that this helps force the future development in Bloomington's plans for the South Loop to truly feel cohesive and walkable. This area has a long way to go for that.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 10th, 2015, 8:48 am

Did they learn the word depth ever?
Depth costs money! =^]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 11th, 2015, 2:08 pm

I have been anxious to see IndiGO get underway all summer. I'm happy to see the area fenced off and storm sewer and sanitary sewer work being done on the new road that will be on the south side of the apartment building. It'll be really great to see this apartment building bet started. I can't wait for this building and the 2nd phase (duplicate of the north building) fill in this large section. The thought of nearly 500 apartment units being added to this area will be huge! I can't wait for the continued transformation of this area of Bloomington!

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 12th, 2015, 10:23 pm

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » September 4th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » October 5th, 2015, 7:15 pm

IndiGo is moving along, concrete & steel(?) base going up, stick framing work already underway for first floor on top of that. It's amazing how quickly we can build when we don't dig 4 levels of underground parking.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 5th, 2015, 8:06 pm

It has a 5 level parking ramp going up in the center.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » October 5th, 2015, 9:49 pm

It has a 5 level parking ramp going up in the center.
This I know, hence why they are already framing instead of digging ;-). Was just pointing it out! At least they are going to disguise it somewhat, unlike the ramp on that monstrosity the Luxembourg over by 494 & Normandale.

Minneapolitan

Postby Minneapolitan » October 13th, 2015, 10:44 am

I would love to see a Lunds/Byerlys in this area.
I cant think of any grocery shopping in southloop. A target would do well maybe a large Walgreens with grocery. Target may want to try a Target Express! There are many jobs/hotels/apartments that could use this kind of shopping in the area.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » October 15th, 2015, 12:00 pm

There's a Walmart just up American Blvd, and Target/Home Depot at Cedar/66th is a quick frontage road spin away. Anything larger would need more direct resident traffic. A better option would be a smaller, catering to walk-up residents and park-and-riders from the LRT. Gas station optional, but I doubt they can build that in the flight paths.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2015, 3:36 pm

I would love to see a Lunds/Byerlys in this area.
I cant think of any grocery shopping in southloop. A target would do well maybe a large Walgreens with grocery. Target may want to try a Target Express! There are many jobs/hotels/apartments that could use this kind of shopping in the area.
There's a grocery store planned south of Lindau and east of 24th Ave. S. alongside the soon-to-start hotel.
I'll try to dig up the info.

Here it is:
(seems as though when this story broke there wasn't a signed grocery or pharmacy yet). Hopefully it'll be a grocery store.
A Utah developer is proposing a 140-room hotel and restaurant just east of Mall of America.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -near.html

The $25 million project is part of a larger plan by the Bloomington Port Authority and the city to redevelop the old Alpha Business Center at Lindau Lane and 24th Avenue South.

Utah-based developer Terratron Inc. is close to securing the hotel brand and tenants for a 9,000-square-foot restaurant and a 2,000-square-foot coffee shop, according to a city memo. It has not, however, found a tenant for a pharmacy/grocery space that would take up 13,000 square feet. [...]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 15th, 2015, 8:00 pm

I thought they were trying to make the Bloomington Central area mixed-use and urban. Yikes, that's very suburbanish.