Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Twin Cities Suburbs
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bloomington Central Station - Bloomington

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 17th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Second tower crane now installed at BCS. I wonder how many cranes are up in the metro right now?!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bloomington Central Station - Bloomington

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 4th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Hotel is up to floor 3.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hotel, restaurant and parking ramp near MOA (24th & Lind

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 20th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Upscale AC Hotel by Marriott to join MOA-area hospitality boom
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... -area.html
[Locked]

Terratron Inc. has inked a deal to open a $25 million AC Hotel by Marriott next to the Mall of America.

The 148-room, 5-story AC Marriott MOA will have a contemporary, eclectic interior, and include a parking garage, a restaurant and coffee shop, said David Peters, president of Park City, Utah-based Terratron.

A grocery or market may be added in a future phase on the site, which is at the southeast corner of Lindau Lane and 24th Avenue South. ...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 20th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Super excited to compare the renderings to those of the downtown version.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 20th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Daboink
Metrodome

Re: Bloomington Central Station & "South Loop" area

Postby Daboink » April 3rd, 2015, 8:52 am

I have not been over near the new Hyatt site in about a month, but according to the City of Bloomington's newsletter, the IndiGO apartments by Lennar on the adjacent parcel are "underway", and the city page page listing shows as updated in March 2015 with an anticipated start of construction as Summer 2015. Not sure if this means they have started digging yet, but it is a good sign!

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/sites/def ... bf_web.pdf

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/indigo-le ... apartments

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 8th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I have not been over near the new Hyatt site in about a month, but according to the City of Bloomington's newsletter, the IndiGO apartments by Lennar on the adjacent parcel are "underway", and the city page page listing shows as updated in March 2015 with an anticipated start of construction as Summer 2015. Not sure if this means they have started digging yet, but it is a good sign!

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/sites/def ... bf_web.pdf

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/indigo-le ... apartments

Wow, for a place in the suburbs they have a HUGE amount of bike storage/parking! Might be a nice place to live someday once the area is a bit more developed.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 9th, 2015, 8:02 am

Yikes! 420 units?! That must be a behemoth of a building!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 9th, 2015, 10:22 am

Yikes! 420 units?! That must be a behemoth of a building!
Not really...

I go by this on the train several times/week. They have not started any digging yet - but I have been anticipating it happening soon, now that spring has arrived.

They also have a future plan for another building around this size, to go just to the south of it. I think this will be a very cool area of Bloomington in the coming years.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 9th, 2015, 10:40 am

Wow, for a place in the suburbs they have a HUGE amount of bike storage/parking! Might be a nice place to live someday once the area is a bit more developed.
Agreed, pretty decent-sized bike area, although it is a huge complex.

Also interesting that balconies are included. The adjacent Reflections condominium includes no balconies, I believe because of the airport noise (which is really severe in the South Loop area -- not just frequent but LOUD). Developers interested in a Richfield site at Cedar Point (also on flight path) have repeatedly dismissed balconies because of (far less) airplane noise there.

I'm not sure how much time will be spent on them, but I think it's nice to provide people the option -- for barbecuing or plants or similar.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 9th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Also interesting that balconies are included. The adjacent Reflections condominium includes no balconies, I believe because of the airport noise (which is really severe in the South Loop area -- not just frequent but LOUD). Developers interested in a Richfield site at Cedar Point (also on flight path) have repeatedly dismissed balconies because of (far less) airplane noise there.

I'm not sure how much time will be spent on them, but I think it's nice to provide people the option -- for barbecuing or plants or similar.
The new runway is used often, but most of the flights don't really turn southeast as often as go south. I worked in the Health Partners HQ building while the Reflection Condos were being built. They are designed for quiet living, with full floor to ceiling windows on all sides. But as much as that may have been needed to get $200-$800+K for the condos there, I'm not certain sealing off apartment residents is as necessary. I'm sure there will be plenty of quiet units within this space, even with balconies.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 9th, 2015, 6:32 pm

The new runway is used often, but most of the flights don't really turn southeast as often as go south. I worked in the Health Partners HQ building while the Reflection Condos were being built. They are designed for quiet living, with full floor to ceiling windows on all sides. But as much as that may have been needed to get $200-$800+K for the condos there, I'm not certain sealing off apartment residents is as necessary. I'm sure there will be plenty of quiet units within this space, even with balconies.
Interesting. My main deafening-loud experience was touring the Lindau Lane extension, between 24th and 28th, which is more directly in the path. Although the tour also included the Bloomington Central Station "park" near the LRT stop, and the planes were obviously present there, if not as loud.

As I said above, though, I think it's good to have the option to go outside even with noise. I know I'd prefer that if living in that area.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 9th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Good points about the sound didn't think about that in regards to the balconies. Also considering the view for many will be over looking the 6 lane roads of American and 34th Yikes! Potentially when that area continues to develop there will be some type of nice urban skyline for people to enjoy then it surly would be worth the investment. Which maybe that's why the apartments have the balconies and the condos don't in that area? The short term return on the investment just wasn't there. If so that sure says a lot of how optimistic the developer is to the areas long term success!

Adding residents to this area will truly help progress "Downtown Bloomington" to being a 3rd downtown! Heck if the planned grocery store pans out perhaps we might see even more residential growth! I still can't imagine what it would be like to see such an urban community. Most urban communities struggle to attract retail and well that's not a problem here. A downtown Bloomington LRT district with reduced rates would be pretty helpful too.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 9th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I hate to break this to you, but Bloomington will never, ever, be a 3rd downtown. Without the MOA they would be nothing, and that is only there because of massive public subsidies from the fiscal disparities program. The reason downtown Minneapolis retail is dead is because our largest tourist attraction in the state is a f***ing mall and its most recent expansion was paid for by Minneapolis property taxes. Every international high-end that chooses to open there is one that isn't likely to ever open on Nicollet mall. That's why the megasprawl gets Fjällräven while Minneapolis can barely keep a Saks outlet. Thankfully real cities aren't completely dependent on declining brick and mortar retail. I'm sure that those 4 levels will be able to hold quite a few Amazon drones in the future.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » April 9th, 2015, 8:55 pm

I hate to break this to you, but Bloomington will never, ever, be a 3rd downtown. Without the MOA they would be nothing, and that is only there because of massive public subsidies from the fiscal disparities program. The reason downtown Minneapolis retail is dead is because our largest tourist attraction in the state is a f***ing mall and its most recent expansion was paid for by Minneapolis property taxes. Every international high-end that chooses to open there is one that isn't likely to ever open on Nicollet mall. That's why the megasprawl gets Fjällräven while Minneapolis can barely keep a Saks outlet. Thankfully real cities aren't completely dependent on declining brick and mortar retail. I'm sure that those 4 levels will be able to hold quite a few Amazon drones in the future.
I'm not sure I follow how the MOA expansion was funded by Minneapolis property taxes. I agree the state dumps a lot of money into the MOA that could have been/could be better spent -- but my impression was that those funds came from general funding sources, income taxes from all Minnesotans. Is there something I'm missing?

The "third downtown" goal is probably over the top, especially given the airport noise and limitations on height. Southdale District is a much better contender, IMO, since Southdale Center could basically vanish and the district would still be viable -- it also has a very downtown-like mix of institutional (medical), office, retail, housing, and public uses. On the other hand, if the MOA went under, South Loop would be hopeless.

But, third downtown or not, doesn't mean there can't be a valuable TOD node at Bloomington "Central" Station.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 9th, 2015, 9:07 pm

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Communities ... ities.aspx

For reference, the most recent expansion required $250 million from the fiscal disparities pot, phased in over several years. The total amount shared in 2014 was $588 million in revenue. It's money from property taxes on commercial/industrial property throughout the metro area, going to subsidize a specific business venture.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 9th, 2015, 9:16 pm

um... Without the mall there still would be several office buildings that are spaced closely along a LRT line that could allow riders to travel farther to places such as downtown MSP and St. Paul. Not to mention a massive wet lands area that already has several bike trails and is a lovely green space, which could be even better with a few modest improvements. Of course when you factor into the situation of the MOA existing then yes, your right without the MOA the area would not amount to much. Not sure what your point is, yet I can tell you are upset the mall is taking away retailers from downtown. If development continues to expand as mixed use then not sure how the area could not become a wonderful community. Granted the area is far from walkable but considering there will be a LRT line plus when the area does develop there is great potential for some nice walking options. Just look around Bloomington Central Station it's very walking friendly. Sure many people may prefer to drive instead of walk considering so much lanes and parking spaces, yet places where housing, jobs, and retail line up together in a compact area plus having a nice green space also seals the deal for making a urban community possible.

I think you may define what makes a community good may be a little to dense for most people. Have you ever taken a stroll around the area? some nice views of the high-rise towers and yes, oversized lawns. Eventually as the area develops there is potential to reduce these wasted spaces into useable spaces once the demand grows as the parking lots are built upon. Use your imagination can't you see how cool the area would be once it fully developed?

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 9th, 2015, 9:29 pm

I'm not sure I follow how the MOA expansion was funded by Minneapolis property taxes. I agree the state dumps a lot of money into the MOA that could have been/could be better spent -- but my impression was that those funds came from general funding sources, income taxes from all Minnesotans. Is there something I'm missing?

The "third downtown" goal is probably over the top, especially given the airport noise and limitations on height. Southdale District is a much better contender, IMO, since Southdale Center could basically vanish and the district would still be viable -- it also has a very downtown-like mix of institutional (medical), office, retail, housing, and public uses. On the other hand, if the MOA went under, South Loop would be hopeless.

But, third downtown or not, doesn't mean there can't be a valuable TOD node at Bloomington "Central" Station.

Southdale area is another great spot of a mixed use community. Though it rather spread out. I was thinking downtown Bloomington would be more of a "downtown" considering it was limited in size making it more potential for density (tighter NOT taller considering the height restrictions) I assume with the limited space property owners would opt to sell off pieces of unused space such as lawn space to allow for more high value property space along the established LRT line. Surly in 20 years from now surface parking lots and great big grass spaces will be a thing of the past right? I mean would a property owner prefer to sit on a great bit space of lawn next to a LRT station and not sell of the space for a handsome profit? I just assumed they would, and if any issues with the city in regards to zoning would be easily handled as cities seem so happy to talk about urban development along any transit line. Even with height restrictions there seems like a lot of potential, though perhaps I'm wrong. Guess in 20 years we shall see.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » April 10th, 2015, 6:41 am

For the last 5 decades this area of Bloomington has had something that draws people there, whether it be the former homes of the Twins, Vikings, and North Stars or the MOA. Add in the Airport and hotels, multiple transit lines, outdoor amenities, corporate headquarters, etc and you have many additional reasons development should continue. Will it ever become a "downtown" in the way you clearly think of one? No, it won't. But it is already a hub of regional activity of all sorts. I do not understand why you are so angry that empty lots and giant expanses of crumbling parking lots may vanish. Just because it isn't Downtown Minneapolis means that mixed use development and density shouldn't be allowed here?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm

On April 6, the city council voted to rezone large parcels around South Loop to mixed use to get ready for when leases expire on city owned property in 2017.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/04/rezoni ... velopment/