Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Bloomington Central Station - Bloomington

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2014, 4:02 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/06/moz ... nty-grant/
Bloomington Central Station Apartments — 8001 33rd Ave. S., Bloomington

Amount: $400,000 grant

Project cost: $88 million

The grant would go to the city of Bloomington for infrastructure like sidewalks, lighting and landscaping at the 50-acre Bloomington Central Station area. Miami-based Lennar Corp. is planning 415 market-rate rentals near two Blue Line light rail transit stops.

Imboden said the project was a good fit for funding because it will support city infrastructure needed to build the apartments and further realize development in the area. Lennar also has plans for a second, similarly sized apartment project near the station. Nearby, Roseville-based McGough is ready to start construction on its 300-room hotel on American Boulevard.

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/06/moz ... z33i70B0ku

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 4th, 2014, 7:44 pm

What type of building(s) should we expect from this development? I would have assumed a tower or two based on the area and the precedent already there, not to mention it's a Miami developer, but 400+ units at [only] $88M makes me concerned it's the least intensive 400+ units $88M can buy.

Very exciting nonetheless! I've been anticipating the continued build-out of Bloomington Central Station after Reflections went up about a decade ago.

*edit: I didn't realize these were the same projects already discussed.......six stories with a massive parking garage (seems to negate the primary benefit of living right next to transit, especially right under a flight pathway).

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » June 5th, 2014, 7:54 am

*edit: I didn't realize these were the same projects already discussed.......six stories with a massive parking garage (seems to negate the primary benefit of living right next to transit, especially right under a flight pathway).
That area is still pretty isolated as far as access to shopping (other than the Mall) and everyday services goes, so a car will probably be a necessity for anyone living there until more businesses geared towards the needs of residents open.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 5th, 2014, 8:34 am

First of all, just because someone lives along a rail or bus line doesn't mean they won't need a car or have friends who drive to their place to visit. Of course they need parking! I'm glad that it will be shrouded by the apartment complex... that's quite unique for Bloomington. Secondly, I just want to reiterate that this is not 'right under a flight pathway', as you describe. It's close, but not right under. Regardless, thousands of homes in Minneapolis and Richfield are directly underneath a flight pathway and they seem to manage.

Glad to see both the apartments and hotel are ready to break ground... I'm SO ready for this area to change.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 5th, 2014, 9:24 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 9th, 2014, 9:07 am

Wow, look at the master plan on page 38. A four block wall of parking ramps along 28th Ave, ranging from 7 to 10 levels of structured parking across six ramps. Yikes.

Specifically, this hotel will have a 320 space "temporary" surface lot. The overlay district disallows surface parking except for a few handicapped and short-term spaces, which would be 14 for this hotel. There's nothing "temporary" about this proposed parking lot... full curb/gutter, spec parking lot lighting, and the little curbed islands at the end of the parking lanes. I expect this to still be a "temporary" parking lot in 30 years.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 9th, 2014, 11:06 am

Temporary parking lots should be in gravel only. Cheaper for the developer and signals that it's temporary.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 9th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Temporary parking lots should be in gravel only. Cheaper for the developer and signals that it's temporary.
That sounds perfect in theory, but hardly something realistic for this project. First of all, the master plan for this area was crafted back in the 2007 time frame. Clearly if it's taken 7 years to get the hotel portion built, it's going to be a while before the ramps and other office structures are built. So I can see the hotel not wanting their guests to have to park on a gravel lot and pull their luggage through that to check in. I'm sure McGough will be happy to pave that now & rip it up again when the time to build the ramp happens.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 9th, 2014, 4:17 pm

should have put the smiley face on, partly in jest. There are other situations where gravel would be a good idea. A hotel, yes, the luggage issue makes it less practical.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 18th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Hyatt Regency slated for McGough site near Mall of America
Jun 18, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ll-of.html

Glad to see more progress on both the hotel and apartments.
The article seems to suggest that there's another rental portion in the works for the area as well.
Time will tell...

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 18th, 2014, 7:53 pm

It looks like it belongs on Nicollet Mall, circa 1972.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » September 11th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Anyone know if the office towers are being built? When? For whom?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 12th, 2014, 11:13 am

Anyone know if the office towers are being built? When? For whom?
Only the hotel and first phase of apartments have been proposed/approved (NW corner or McGough's property - American Blvd. & 34th). All the rest is still in play. There are long-term plans, but no other plans have surfaced yet.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Hotel, restaurant and parking ramp near MOA (24th & Lindau)

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 29th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I was wondering what the city of Bloomington had planned for this corner, which is currently a big pile of dirt from the tunneling of Lindau Lane north of MOA. Interesting to see yet another hotel. I'm curious about the need for the parking ramp.

I read another story (http://finance-commerce.com/2014/08/hot ... p-airport/) about MAC looking to sell off the remaining acreage it owns east of MOA. If they sold that for office/hotel use (the recommendation over housing), the open parking lot now there would be gone. Is the city planning for that? It's so hard to find any information. The Hennepin County property information has that big lot split into two parcels. The NE corner is its own lot & shows Hertz is the taxpayer, but MAC owns it.

A Utah developer is proposing a 140-room hotel and restaurant just east of Mall of America.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -near.html

The $25 million project is part of a larger plan by the Bloomington Port Authority and the city to redevelop the old Alpha Business Center at Lindau Lane and 24th Avenue South.

Utah-based developer Terratron Inc. is close to securing the hotel brand and tenants for a 9,000-square-foot restaurant and a 2,000-square-foot coffee shop, according to a city memo. It has not, however, found a tenant for a pharmacy/grocery space that would take up 13,000 square feet. [...]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Hotel, restaurant and parking ramp near MOA (24th & Lind

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 4:38 pm

I'd have to say that there will definitely be height restrictions in that area. I believe that it was once part of the end of runway safe zones until FAA scaled them back some.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 29th, 2014, 5:10 pm

This is a far cry from the type of mixed use plans that Bloomington wants to see, but honestly their ideas are probably a little too grand for reality.

It will be nice to at least see something come out of this.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 5:50 pm

This is a far cry from the type of mixed use plans that Bloomington wants to see, but honestly their ideas are probably a little too grand for reality.

The Central Station area they can get more grand as they will have fewer FAA restriction place on what can go there. That directly under the flight path of the new runway will have limits as to what can go there. I don't think the FAA or any developer want to be sued for wrong full death because they had a plane clip or slam into a dense building full of people.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 29th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Does current zoning allow for any residential developments in that general area? I would think it would become a great place to live even if the roads may be wider than most. A few low rise building sure would allow for another nice little urban community to develop. Though I wonder if the Hotels farther away, but still next to a LRT station are better positioned to attract more guests? Finally... what is it with this sudden hotel boom? Is tourism growing this rapidly or is this related to the 2018 super bowl?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 30th, 2014, 9:45 am

Does current zoning allow for any residential developments in that general area? I would think it would become a great place to live even if the roads may be wider than most. A few low rise building sure would allow for another nice little urban community to develop. Though I wonder if the Hotels farther away, but still next to a LRT station are better positioned to attract more guests? Finally... what is it with this sudden hotel boom? Is tourism growing this rapidly or is this related to the 2018 super bowl?
Zoning does allow for residential on the eastern side of the McGough property (Bloomington Central Station). The 400+ unit apartment should break ground soon on the SW corner of American Blvd & 34th Ave S. Office space is planned from the park, new hotel (just started construction) & Health Partner's HQ west, north and south along 30th Ave S.

MAC owns the entire 31+ acre lot south of 82nd Street between 24th Ave S. & 28th Ave S.
That's what they hint at selling to a developer at some point - if the interest is there. The FAA wouldn't want housing in this area, mostly due to noise. The MAC representative said they'd prefer to see office/retail for this area.

As for the hotel boom, there's certainly that going on. I think with MOA expanding, the economy improving, and Minneapolis hosting the Super Bowl in 2018 are all driving investment here (as well as downtown). The Finance & Commerce article "Hotel conga line gets longer near MSP airport" (http://finance-commerce.com/2014/08/hot ... z3EoXM2qvS) I linked in my earlier post, clearly states that there's a boom happening.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 14th, 2014, 9:12 am

BCS Hyatt Regecy Hotel construction updates.