Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Twin Cities Suburbs
MNdible
is great.

Re: Bloomington Central Station & South Loop Development

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2018, 11:44 am

Not to be that guy, but Southtown is not part of the South Loop, right?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2018, 11:53 am

It isn’t. Southtown is the shopping strip south of 494 between Penn and 35W. Orange line will run by it.

Southloop is the southern end of the Blue Line.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 8th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Another hotel proposed near MOA, filling that block. I guess building a grocery store on that corner (as was originally discussed) was a bit ambitious.

Mall of America-area hotel developer plans another, with a Westin flag
*LOCKED*

A developer who is familiar with the area just east of Mall of America is gearing up for his third hotel project in a one-block stretch.

Park City, Utah-based Terratron is planning to build a seven-story, 126-room Element by Westin at the corner of 24th Avenue South and 82nd Street East, said David Peters, president of Terratron.

That’s just south of where Peters opened an AC Hotel by Marriott in early 2017 and also built a restaurant that is leased by Hazelwood Food + Drink. A 326-stall parking ramp can handle the capacity for all three buildings.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 1st, 2018, 10:55 am

The block bounded by 24th Ave, American Blvd, 28th Ave, and Lindau Ln has had the four warehouse/office buildings on it demolished. Anyone know what the plans are for that block? I took a peek through this thread but couldn't associate anything with that area. I see that part of American Blvd was blocked off today/recently (I'm not sure if it's been that way for a while or not -- I usually take the 54 bus which turns a block away at 30th Ave).

Edit: I found this --

https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/eng/alpha ... on-project

I guess it might just be demolition without any other plans yet

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 12th, 2018, 10:31 am

Another hotel proposed near MOA, filling that block. I guess building a grocery store on that corner (as was originally discussed) was a bit ambitious.

Mall of America-area hotel developer plans another, with a Westin flag
*LOCKED*

A developer who is familiar with the area just east of Mall of America is gearing up for his third hotel project in a one-block stretch.

Park City, Utah-based Terratron is planning to build a seven-story, 126-room Element by Westin at the corner of 24th Avenue South and 82nd Street East, said David Peters, president of Terratron.

That’s just south of where Peters opened an AC Hotel by Marriott in early 2017 and also built a restaurant that is leased by Hazelwood Food + Drink. A 326-stall parking ramp can handle the capacity for all three buildings.
Looks like the room count has increased to 144, nearing approval as an Element by Westin.
Extended-stay hotel nears approval in Bloomington

mulad

Postby mulad » August 1st, 2018, 6:33 am

There's been some construction activity in the overflow lot south of the Embassy Suites on the northeast corner of American Boulevard and 34th Ave. I suppose they might just be paving it, though it would be nice if there was a new building going in to make better use of the LRT station there...

The demolition project south of American Boulevard and west of 28th Ave appears to be close to wrapping up. They've been putting down new topsoil recently. It had been dumped in huge piles in the empty lot on the other side of 28th, which made me think there was something else going on for a while.

Has anyone heard anything new about what might happen southeast of American and 30th? Since the new parking structure was built just south of the light rail tracks on 30th, the surface lot's usage has dropped a huge amount.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 13th, 2018, 11:08 am

Looks like the area I mentioned on the southeast corner of American Blvd and 28th Ave (8001 28th Ave S) is a Ceres / Orlean project to build a Cambria hotel with 170 rooms. It may have been mentioned in the F&C article above, but I don't have a subscription to check. The Hennepin County Property Map shows "Ceres Development LLC" as the property owner. There's been continued activity on the site, with a fence up with a banner wrapped around it. The project had required the northbound side of 28th Ave to be ripped up (utility work?) for a while recently.

https://rebusinessonline.com/ceres-orle ... minnesota/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 26th, 2018, 8:48 pm

South Loop is seeking Identity Enhancement Therapy
https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/pl/news/s ... 2018-12-26
The installation and accompanying South Loop signage will create a more distinctive sense of place and identity and may reflect the past, present or future of South Loop while providing an opportunity to surprise and delight those who visit, work and live in the District.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 27th, 2018, 8:47 am

Awfully hard to enhance something that doesn't exist to begin with.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 27th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Well, hey, let’s keep MoA and the new water park inwardly focused, with no real pedestrian access or street presence, and keep the surrounding stroads.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 28th, 2018, 8:24 am

*shrug* They're just really limited in what they could do there even if they wanted a different approach. It's walled in by two freeways and a river valley, dominated by the MOA, and has the airport directly north of it that creates some additional limits.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 28th, 2018, 8:37 am

The West End in St. Louis Park is much the same, walled in by highways and stroads, although without MoA, but also without light rail. Yet SLP is making an effort to urbanize it. Not totally successful, but it’s a start.

Certainly, this area has physical & infrastructure limitations, but adding art and branding to stroads and old-fashioned suburban (inwardly-focused) development will not result in any transformation, which I think we all agree on. But I think changes can be done over the long term.

Urbanism isn’t decoration, it’s form & function.

Here in south Florida, there’s a brand new multi-acre development that’s “new urbanist” on the surface, with extremely wide sidewalks, textured sidewalk surfaces, lots of greenery, bus stops, etc. And yet everything is still so far away from everything else that it’s ridiculous to think anyone would walk anywhere here.

Bloomington should be lauded for acknowledging they have a problem, but these first steps won’t really accomplish anything. Maybe it’s a process cities have to go through. First ring suburbs like Richfield, SLP, & Hopkins seem to be farther along this process.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 28th, 2018, 8:51 am

For anyone who hasn't visited (in non-winter I guess), the Bloomington Central Station Park is actually worth seeing and experiencing. Not huge but no expense was spared. One of the best financed parks I've seen in the state. Helps that it's right on the Blue Line. If that can be further emphasized as a hub of activity, I actually think there is potential for this area to become something worthwhile for non airport/MOA workers. It's already reasonably livable here, but lots of room for growth.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 28th, 2018, 11:11 am

Agree about the park being really nice. A few years ago, I lived a long 515. I would often take the bus to the mall America and then the train over to the park. It was a great place to relax and chill.

I like all the sidewalks all have the same pattern around the Bloomington central station. I feel that it goes along way in creating a sense of place.

My only regret is that the apartment buildings that were built in the last two years don’t have a ground floor retail. I’m talking about the apartments just west of American Boulevard station.

With all of the new apartments build there recently, and the start of the new building, I don’t see why a CVS or Walgreens couldn’t survive there.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 28th, 2018, 2:55 pm

My only regret is that the apartment buildings that were built in the last two years don’t have a ground floor retail. I’m talking about the apartments just west of American Boulevard station.

With all of the new apartments build there recently, and the start of the new building, I don’t see why a CVS or Walgreens couldn’t survive there.
Phase II (under construction) has 2,100sq ft of commercial space. Not huge, but it's something.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » December 30th, 2018, 12:13 pm

For anyone who hasn't visited (in non-winter I guess), the Bloomington Central Station Park is actually worth seeing and experiencing. Not huge but no expense was spared. One of the best financed parks I've seen in the state. Helps that it's right on the Blue Line. If that can be further emphasized as a hub of activity, I actually think there is potential for this area to become something worthwhile for non airport/MOA workers. It's already reasonably livable here, but lots of room for growth.
Maybe a freeway "under-cap" :lol: Given the double decker freeway a traditional cap is out of the question.. but just west of the MOA There are some already existing apartments in the single family house residential area. It COULD potentially be a gold mine for developers if they can secure a pedestrian/biking tunnel and allow walkable housing to the MOA and light rail. Would be such a great potential for improving the density, and land values in the area on top of making it a nice denser community. Heck maybe going all the way to Portland Ave. 83rd could become a pedestrian and biking only pathway lined with 4-6 floor buildings and a few mid rise buildings say 8-15 floors. Just imagine the potential! With Smith, Cook and Wright's park there is much already green space, and it's not like 83'rd street would be of good car driving value.

I know a bit out there, but American blvd with the addition of the D line and the American BLVD rapid bus line & even I think Nicollet/Central line having a termination at MOA the north segment of this area is gonna have some great transit options and there is great value at improving housing in this area with more density. More so when south-loop is fully developed and space there runs out so.. some day, this idea would seem less out there and just seem more bold than anything.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 5th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Bloomington’s census tract including South Loop and MOA turn out to be in a designated Opportunity Zone.

http://www.startribune.com/tax-break-fo ... 503952002/

(Post tease: This gave me an idea for a Map Monday so I just wrapped and submitted up a post showing all the Twin Cities Opportunity Zones, my post also ties into two past Map Monday posts I did.)

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 25th, 2019, 8:52 am

Mystery tech company wants campus near Mall of America (locked)
A chunk of land in Bloomington's South Loop district beside the Mall of America could be redeveloped into a "regional headquarters" for an unnamed tech company, according to a proposal going before the city this week.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 25th, 2019, 8:58 am

Anyone with insider info willing to leak or hint? I’ll totally keep it secret.

Or the rest of us care to make wagers?

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » February 25th, 2019, 11:07 am

"Regional Headquarters" and "Campus" implies large and important in my mind so I'm instantly excited.

Maybe this will finally give 28th / Bloomington Central more of a purpose.