Capella Tower

Re: Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Why would traffic levels drop?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 7th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I would say this is the "Amazon Effect" on the arterials around our malls.

In 2000 traffic on the north end of France was 31,000 but at the south end near 494 was 29,000. Today traffic around Southdale Center is ... oh just rechecked 22,000 but at the south end near 494 its over 28,000 cars.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 8th, 2017, 11:13 am

In addition to national downward trends at malls, it does seem that Southdale in particular is way down compared to other 'dales. Also, retirees make fewer car trips, and seniors even fewer. I'd guess the population has aged considerably in a lot of the condo developments from the previous couple decades.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 8th, 2017, 12:53 pm

That can't be right. Traffic is immutable. All we can do is add more lanes.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2017, 12:56 pm

I had more than a few old timers telling me those actual numbers don't matter, what they feel traffic is today is worse than what their memories tell them.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 8th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Traffic is pretty obnoxious between ~84th and ~70th. It seems less bad once you get to Galleria / Southdale to Crosstown. I don't drive SB France really ever, but on NB France between 494 and 62, that has been my experience.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 8th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Regarding France, isn't it true that some capacity has been eliminated by recent geometry changes that have been made?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2017, 2:57 pm

They narrowed lanes in order to create sidewalks. Some porkchop turns were removed.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » June 15th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Groundbreaking ceremony today for new hotel at NE corner of Southdale block (66th / York)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 25th, 2017, 11:58 am

Took a walk around the new Bank of America site today. It was Sunday, so couldn't get a peek inside

Album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdho/sets ... 561733214/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 25th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I'm intrigued by the stump sidewalks. Seems clear intent to complete it all the way up Valley View to 66th. That France Ave sidewalk zigzag is also a clear intent on a better sidewalk future.

I hope the city feels a sense of shame at keeping that stupid porkchop turn. BoA first tried to put their building closer to the corner but a newly elected councilman objected and wanted it pushed back. Oh well.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » June 25th, 2017, 1:39 pm

A sidewalk to nowhere! I'm intrigued as well... What are you supposed to do when you reach the end?!

Speaking of turn islands, a recent Transportation Commission meeting agenda (for City of Edina) shows improvements for the 66th / York intersection. Plans include removal of the NW turn island, where the new apartment will go. I don't know if the others will be eliminated.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 25th, 2017, 4:06 pm

I believe the SE corner of York/66th is due to lose it when the luxury apartments begin at the old Best Buy.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 25th, 2017, 4:23 pm

I'm intrigued by the stump sidewalks. Seems clear intent to complete it all the way up Valley View to 66th. That France Ave sidewalk zigzag is also a clear intent on a better sidewalk future.

I hope the city feels a sense of shame at keeping that stupid porkchop turn. BoA first tried to put their building closer to the corner but a newly elected councilman objected and wanted it pushed back. Oh well.
I'm sure sidewalks will go in on Valley View with Avenue on France as that project chugs along. I think the setback from France is consistent with the Southdale Area design guidelines, which do talk about keeping large setbacks to create a grand corridor sort of feel on France and York. (However, the goal is not to have parking in those setbacks). The porkchop is of course very disappointing, but as the only one left on the corner, I imagine it will eventually go. (It was not even upgraded to meet basic ADA standards)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » June 25th, 2017, 4:26 pm

I believe the SE corner of York/66th is due to lose it when the luxury apartments begin at the old Best Buy.
I've talked with the Edina transportation planner about this. The project is funded (mostly?) by the developers, but the City will arrange for the actual construction to happen all at once, later this summer. NW and SE porkchops will go. SW porkchop will be modified, so vehicles turning right have to make a sharper final turn. Unfortunately, the NE porkchop won't be modified at all, because of limited space and the sharpness of the turn. The sidewalk leading up to this porkchop will be improved as part of the 66th Street project, however. (Will be an 8' MUP + 2' buffer IIRC)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » July 18th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Looks like Homewood Suites is under construction, or about to be. Construction fence all around perimeter.

No signs of life on the ground for Envi Edina/CAKE. The grass on existing site is knee-high by now.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 19th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Slideshow of RH Gallery’s proposal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ml?ana=twt

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 20th, 2017, 7:32 am

Envi is still happening, but I heard they have to go back to Council for a minor revision.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » August 5th, 2017, 7:59 am

Simon Properties, owner of Southdale, has proposed to build a Shake Shack on the SE corner of France / 66th St.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 5th, 2017, 9:11 am

Link?