Southdale Area - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2017, 11:01 am

The fence went up around the site cutting off driver cut throughs through the lot a couple months back... fwiw.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2017, 3:26 pm

JCPenney Southdale location at risk of closing in the coming downsizing. :(

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt

Just bought my new dryer from there.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I dunno, should Simon consider renovating into offices and/or residential in the JCP space? Tear it down and build residential attached right to the mall? Or tear it out and have a new entrance?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 8th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Definitely tear down JCP and its parking deck. Slap on a 2-story glassy facade and new entrance and sell off all the extra land up to 66th St.

There are a few reasons I don't think this will happen though, the first being that the loss of an anchor could possibly trigger some clauses in other tenants leases (rent reductions, etc.) Secondly, they'll probably get takers on the space right away if they subdivide the two floors. The complicating factor is that JCP owns the store, so either Simon Properties or the city of Edina would have to buy it for something remarkable to happen.
That ownership structure (versus a more easily shed lease) offers an argument against closing the store, assuming it's at all profitable — unless J.C. Penney could find a buyer for the property. The retailer could sell it back to Southdale or someone else, or find a tenant of its own.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » March 9th, 2017, 2:02 pm

No longer rumor. Restoration Hardware finally submitted their proposal for the SW corner of the Southdale Center megablock by the water tower.

Four stories. Wine vault. Rooftop patio. 58,000 sq. ft.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 9th, 2017, 2:20 pm

No longer rumor. Restoration Hardware finally submitted their proposal for the SW corner of the Southdale Center megablock by the water tower.

Wow. The architecture's not to my taste, but that would be an awesome humanizing influence on that corner. (Makes the one story B of A across the street that got so much critique seem pretty insignificant.)

3 corners down, 1 to go?

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » March 9th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Wow. The architecture's not to my taste, but that would be an awesome humanizing influence on that corner. (Makes the one story B of A across the street that got so much critique seem pretty insignificant.)

3 corners down, 1 to go?
Here's what the new Restoration Hardware looks like in Buckhead, Atlanta.

https://goo.gl/maps/cMsf3YVgjMm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 9th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Does anyone have a development map for the area with links to renderings and site plans?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 10th, 2017, 11:10 am

Does anyone have a development map for the area with links to renderings and site plans?
I don't think they've publicized it yet (although you could probably get it from a data request if you really wanted). Sounds like it will be on Edina Planning Commission agenda soon, and we could see the packet easily then.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » March 10th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Definitely an awesome addition to the vast sea of concrete that is Southdale.

But that water tower (one of the biggest west of the Mississippi R.) will always feel JUST TOO CLOSE and will provide a strange looming effect over an equally gigantic RH gallery...

By the way I don't like water towers :/

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 10th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Looming effect? What's this about a looming effect?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 10th, 2017, 3:12 pm

"Hey, you gonna finish that slice?"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 10th, 2017, 3:21 pm

I like water towers but hate Richfield's. So hideous with all those legs. And they painted the new logo on way too small.

I kinda like Eagan's http://www2.apwa.net/images/Publication ... %20009.JPG

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 10th, 2017, 7:58 pm

I like water towers but hate Richfield's. So hideous with all those legs. And they painted the new logo on way too small.

I kinda like Eagan's http://www2.apwa.net/images/Publication ... %20009.JPG
Public Works insisted that the problem was with the graphic designer, since the "R" was maxed out for size, and to keep the specified proportion, "ichfield" had to be relatively small. I'm not a big fan of the logo, so the smaller the better in my book.

I actually like the legs and trusses of the Richfield/Penn water tower, but certainly its position on a commercial strip creates a pretty unmistakable aesthetic.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 10th, 2017, 8:03 pm

But on Edina: theirs is set back far enough, I'm not sure it's as big a deal, other than leaving an empty space in a future urbanized landscape of France Ave.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 13th, 2017, 2:01 pm

"Cake Residences" reverted to what I think was the original name "Gateway Pointe". Doran is a project partner (and the G.C.) and filed a request with Edina to re-plat the three parcels involved. I'm sticking with my original theory on the "Cake Residences" thing - the rendering artist threw it in and those images were (perhaps inadvertently) shared with the media instead of the official ones without the cheeky reference. All it took was one journalist to write it up as if that was the actual name (when it clearly, obviously, was not) and away it went.

Anyways, glad to see this one moving along. I would love to see a developer take on the Goodyear site (and perhaps 4 or 6 SFHs behind it) one block to the east. Will the Edina-Richfield city boundary be too great of a mental barrier for developers & lenders to get over? (even though most recent Southdale area developments are in Richfield's school district, not Edina's).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 14th, 2017, 9:47 am

I would love to see a developer take on the Goodyear site (and perhaps 4 or 6 SFHs behind it) one block to the east. Will the Edina-Richfield city boundary be too great of a mental barrier for developers & lenders to get over? (even though most recent Southdale area developments are in Richfield's school district, not Edina's).
Interesting point. If these units were all within the school district I can see why developers would be desperate to keep within those boundaries, but just being in Edina without that benefit is hardly different than being one street over in Richfield with the same amenities, but just a different address.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 27th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Envi Edina (maybe not actually called "Cake Residences" after all?) passed final vote and set to break ground this summer during the 66th St construction.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/03/cou ... southdale/

Is that a good time or a bad time?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 27th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Good to get this one underway ASAP. The westernmost stretch of 66th reconstruction, Xerxes to Humboldt (just west of 35W), will be completed this year (aside from various sidewalk and landscaping finishes early 2018). If they break ground mid-summer, this should be ready for occupancy by Dec. 2018 or early 2019 (assume ~18 months of construction)

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 27th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Envi Edina (maybe not actually called "Cake Residences" after all?) passed final vote and set to break ground this summer during the 66th St construction.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/03/cou ... southdale/

Is that a good time or a bad time?
"Envi Edina". After "Cake" residences, are they just trolling us with their names now?

(Despite the name, the project looks great. Despite being Edina's building, it'll be a great gateway to Richfield's new 66th St -- albeit its least impressive section)