Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » March 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm

The Hopkins 8th Avenue ARTery project will finally begin work this April.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2017/03/15/hopk ... -in-april/

The story mentions some of the winning art installations and where they will be placed. I can't wait for this!
I passed by this today, and wow. I was blown away. The one way is like 11' wide and there is SO MUCH room for walking and biking. Really flips the whole idea of who the street belongs too.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 16th, 2018, 10:23 pm

It really is stellar. I can’t wait until the art and the light strings are installed.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 17th, 2018, 5:51 pm

the only real shade I can throw at the artery is that when its a nice day like it was today, walkers seem to ignore the cycle track and sidewalk separation and walk where ever they want (think I heard someone mutter bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalk when I biked by), hopefully this will go away once people get more used to it

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 24th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 5th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Anyone know whether or not the construction on Burnes park in still on schedule to open sometime late spring/early summer, or did the completion date get pushed pack a few months

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 5th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Coulda put this in Bike Infrastructure thread, but Eric Roper wrote on the ARTery.

http://www.startribune.com/hopkins-prep ... 481828151/

(I had a quote, too)

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 5th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Hey, nice job being quoted.

And Bravo, Hopkins! I probably would’ve been skeptical at first (had I known about it), but this sounds like a wonderful amenity.

Downtown Hopkins always had so much potential; glad light rail is making it blossom.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 5th, 2018, 7:00 pm

I think it really needs to be seen. The art is mostly all not there, but you can imagine it right now.

Right now, though, it creates a safe, separated link between the Lake Minnetonka and Cedar Lake regional trails. For one block, motorized traffic was eliminated in one direction, and two and a half blocks parking was eliminated on one side.

Unsaid in the article, the ARTery project also added an east-west bike trail from 5th to 9th on the north side of Excelsior Blvd.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 6th, 2018, 7:00 pm

I was just in Hopkins for the first time the other day when my bf and I went to eat at Samba, and noticed a wonderful separated bikeway there! Since part of it was adjacent to a one-way, sounds like that was the ARTery project. It would be awesome if we could get bikeways like that built around the metro.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 15th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 26th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Looks like the improvements to Burnes Park is complete, just saw some people try out the new splash pad when I biked by

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » June 2nd, 2018, 10:02 am

Well this sucks don't know if/when there planing on rescheduling it, though I'm willing to bet there will still be a decent amount of people who didn't see the cancellation and still turn up

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » June 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Kraus Anderson chosen by the MCWD to redevelop the 17 acres of 325 Blake Road (Cold Storage site)

https://www.minnehahacreek.org/about/ne ... nt-hopkins
Construction is expected to begin in 2019 with completion slated for 2021. Demolition of the cold storage warehouse is expected to begin in late summer 2018. The demolition is being timed to coincide with the reconstruction of Blake Road to minimize disruption for the community.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 14th, 2018, 9:31 pm

So St. Paul wants to tear down a building to provide parking for Fitzgerald’s restaurant, but in Hopkins they’re restoring a creek and building transit-oriented development?

We live in interesting times.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm

So with the Raspberry Festival next week I wonder if there are any plans for using the Artery for one of the events since they did install a traffic gate to close off the street for events after all

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 14th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Thirty Bales is now open where Big 10 used to be on Mainstreet

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 26th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Nice look by F&C (unlocked!) at speculation over the future of the SuperValu property in Hopkins (2 million sq ft distribution center) and the soon-to-be-former-HQ in EP.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/07/un ... 6-billion/

As I live a half block from the east SuperValu building, I’m watching this with intense interest. If the west building gets sold though it could easily become the most important SWLRT redevelopment parcel along the entire route. Walk distance to the station, reconnect an unfortunately broken grid...

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » July 27th, 2018, 7:27 am

Yeah, it seems what’s most likely to happen (sale of HQ in Eden Prairie) has the least affect on any neighborhood.

Meanwhile, the least likely thing to happen, getting rid of A DISTRIBUTION CENTER IN THE MIDDLE OF A SMALL TOWN, is what needs to happen the most.

SuperValu’s distribution center in Hopkins is just a larger version of the DRY CLEANING FACTORY that blighted 44th & France for so long. Terrible land uses, both.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 27th, 2018, 9:06 am

So we're agreed, we'll just stop distribution of groceries then.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » July 27th, 2018, 9:41 am

So we're agreed, we'll just stop distribution of groceries then.
Well, times change. What was once an OK land use along an industrial corridor is now not a great use because there’ll be passenger rail and a re-blooming of a nice downtown area.

Perhaps land value will grow to the point that it will be profitable for SuperValu to move their distribution center. That’s why there are no farms in SW Mpls anymore and few warehouses in the Warehouse District (North Loop).

Cities grow & change, along with appropriate land uses. That’s why Mpls needs fewer single family homes.