Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » November 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm

The Excelsior Crossings, generally considered to be a Cargill campus, will soon get 1,000–2,000 USBank mortgage employees.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... es-to.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 8th, 2017, 8:58 am

Boy I'd like to say this is an okay consolidation from a transit-accessibility perspective given SWLRT, but that's a long 3700 foot walk from the Blake Road station (4200' to the Hopkins platform).

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 8th, 2017, 9:02 am

Yeah, it’s a long walk. I saw the design for the trail from Excelsior Crossing to Blake was proposed to have significant lighting upgrades which would make late winter walking safer.

Still.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 8th, 2017, 11:11 am

Do we have any idea where these users are being consolidated from?

Transit-wise, do we know of any local precedence of an employer (or an office campus owner, perhaps) running a private shuttle on a simple circuit to a nearby transit station? Seems like this would be a great place to roll out driverless shuttle technology on a simple, repetitive route.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

They say various locations, but the biggest concentration of USB Home Mortgage jobs are at Meridian Crossing in Richfield. Meridian Crossings appear to be ~185,000 sq feet (each building), so 370,000 total? I have no idea how much of that is USB, but probably most of it. USB has/had a 100,000 sq ft sublease at nearby Best Buy HQ as well. USB Home Mortgage would seem to be leasing at least 400,000-450,000 square feet just in Richfield.

Sounds like USB is leasing the entire 258,000 square feet at Excelsior Crossing. Are they downsizing that entire Richfield workforce into less space? Or are these employees coming from elsewhere entirely and there will be little change in Richfield? Loss of 1,000+ employees would be a big hit for Richfield's daytime population, though I suppose it would open up Meridian Crossings for some new blood.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

I thought it was odd that neither the Strib nor BizJournal article mentioned where they were relocating employees from- most articles usually note that. The Richfield locations seem most likely, and this is therefore probably a wash from a future transit access perspective given the Orange Line stop.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 8th, 2017, 4:45 pm

I thought it was odd that neither the Strib nor BizJournal article mentioned where they were relocating employees from- most articles usually note that. The Richfield locations seem most likely, and this is therefore probably a wash from a future transit access perspective given the Orange Line stop.
From the BizJournal: "The employees will come from several metro-area offices, including the U.S. Bank Mortgage building at 1550 American Blvd. in Bloomington, the company said in a statement. U.S. Bank said it signed a long-term lease, but didn’t elaborate further."

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 9th, 2017, 8:59 am

Oxford Village grand opening is today.

http://www.ppl-inc.org/event/grand-open ... d-village/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 20th, 2017, 10:44 am

Now looking for developer of the Cold Storage site.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/12/hop ... l-station/

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 9th, 2018, 7:53 pm

After hearing about the proposed park plaza apartments redevelopment again today (something that's probably not gonna happen any time soon), it made me wonder if there are any future plans to do something with the old Honda dealership still on Mainstreet before it moved to excelsior, iirc correctly the only thing they use the building for now is telemarketing and parking extra cars. (think my brother still has a little animosity towards the site for tearing down the old Burger king when he was 5 or 6)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 9th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I believe the old Hopkins theater was part of what is now the Honda dealer offices. I remember seeing Tron at it.

The previous mayor advocated looking at directing the 169 off ramp right to Mainstreet, the study that looked at it would have used up nearly the entire Hopkins Honda parking lot on Excelsior as well as sever Washington Ave.

Thankfully it was canned because it was shown to save only about 20-30 seconds.

I have a feeling that the closer SWLRT comes to truly finishing this old neglected parcel will attract development eyes.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 9th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Since the park plaza redevelopment is a bit tied up with a lawsuit the best parcel for developers wanting to take advantage of the SWLRT in Downtown Hopkins is the old dealership so I'm kinda surprised nothing has been said about using it yet

Though we are kinda seeing a little bit activity of filling empty buildings/lots specifically on mainstreet already, we got two new shops by the clock tower set up in the past year or two and the old Jack Yee restaurant that was basically abandoned for about 9 years now, finally got a new restaurant to use the space a few months ago.

The only other places still unused/abandoned on main are the old KFC and the weird mini hut thing part of the old dealership that shares the parking lot with Midnight Market (might be one or two I'm forgetting)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 9th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Do you have any info on the park plaza proposal, or any info on the lawsuit related to it? Links?

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 10th, 2018, 1:05 am

I might be mistaken about the lawsuit actually.

I heard there was issues with people the people living/owns park plaza, and the only article I found mentioning any lawsuit was from a finance-commerce article, which is probably where I went wrong since I can't view the full article
https://finance-commerce.com/2014/07/ho ... eet-sites/

I retract saying there was a lawsuit part in my earlier comment just to be sure. All I know is Doran was interested to build a new apartment similar to the Moline between 5th and 6th where park plaza is and the two empty lots that used to be a car service shop and a Sinclair, but talks fell through and there's been little word since

Anondson
IDS Center

Luther-owned property in downtown Hopkins

Postby Anondson » March 11th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Related to the discussion about the Honda property on Mainstreet and 5th. I've sketched up this aerial image of the Hennepin property records for the Downtown Hopkins area and for additional context including the massive Supervalu distribution complex and Excelsior Crossing offices.
ImageLuther-owned property in downtown Hopkins by Eric Anondson, on Flickr
The yellow shape is the Mainstreet property, it was once the primary Honda site but is now used office space for Luther. A lot of empty asphalt today.
The orange shape is the main Honda site today.
The blue shape is property bought by Luther during the recession to prevent development by someone else that would have obscured line of sights from 169 to the primary Honda site.

My greatest hope is that when SWLRT is nearing completion Luther builds a multi-story Honda dealership adjacent to the 169 viaduct. Then Luther redevelops the primary Honda site (as it is directly adjacent to the Downtown Hopkins station and at the intersection of the Cedar Lake Trail, Minnesota Bluffs trail, and Lake Minnetonka Trail) to multi-story housing.

I'm okay with the Mainstreet property being used as office space, but I really hope they can get around to either building additional offices for themselves or someone else to rent. Or else consolidate into the blue parcel and sell the Mainstreet property into redevelopment that would fit a pedestrian oriented Mainstreet. I expect the neighborhood to the north of the Mainstreet Luther property to fight any redevelopment taller than two stories. I'd call redevelopment of the Mainstreet property a win if it is filled entirely identical to the row houses that were built on the former industrial property along 2nd St NE., I don't think the east end of Mainstreet has any hope of returning to retail for a generation or more.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 11th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I was wondering what was up with that seemingly abandoned blue parcel.

Maybe by the time a multi-story dealership is built there, they’ll be selling exclusively electric cars. Electric cars don’t need much service, so maybe they’ll have service (for the already-sold gas powered cars) somewhere else (not in a downtown)?

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 11th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I think Luther owns another piece of land on main right by midnight market seen bellow but I could be wrong.

Though even if they do own it, I don't think the area of land is big enough to do anything notable with.

And even though you might be right about east Main not having any new retail for a long time, it would be nice to see some retail again where the dealership paved over for a bigger parking lot.

Now if the Walser dealership ever goes under or more likely moves to another location, that would be a different story and probably speed things up in bringing new development and maybe returning retail on the east end of Mainstreet.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 11th, 2018, 5:27 pm

That isn’t all Luther, they only own a triangle there. Where all those cars are parked are on HRRRA property.

About a block west is an awkward triangle that the city wanted to be redeveloped mixed use but the only thing they got was seven town homes. Really nice ones if you ask me, right in the shadow of the 11 story tower for people who are worried about towers destroying the possibility of nice homes...

I’d be quiet happy for a mirror of those town houses one block west on this triangle.

But if the HRRRA parcel could be combined with this Luther triangle into one like you’ve drawn, something with greater housing units with commercial on the ground could be possible. Some of the newer retail spaces on the ground floor of new apartments took years to occupy. I have extremely low expectations for new store fronts in the current retail climate.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 11th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I was mainly referring to the Luther triangle which like I said probably to small to put in anything notable (could possible make it a green space or something for people to use)

And if your referring to the Village Apartments as the 11 story tower, I think the only reason why people let that slide is that only those above the age of 55 and/or have a type of of disability can live there.

Still say if the Walser dealership ever moves that probably might stir up a good amount of interest in residential (maybe even mixed used but that might be pushing it) on the east end of Mainstreet

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 11th, 2018, 6:45 pm

If the Walser dealer were to relocate then if any more dense development replaces it I hope is able to make something of the HRRRA diagonal running by. Not that it gets sold and used to build something on, but maybe a promenade-type public space for pedestrians to meander.