Hopkins - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Hopkins - General Topics

Postby bapster2006 » February 27th, 2017, 9:13 am

Wow, you don't see whole apartment buildings being redeveloped very often. So with a March groundbreaking those people have already been moved out huh?

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » February 27th, 2017, 9:38 am

Sorry for the confusion. The March groundbreaking was mentioned about the SE York Ave project they are involved in near Southdale. The old Best Buy site.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 27th, 2017, 10:38 am

The elevation has it as 2 feet above the flood line, so says the documentation.
Presumably, this would not include the 152 underground parking stalls.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 27th, 2017, 10:59 am

It could. While all the parking is structured underneath the units, one level is described as below grade and a second at grade. Blake passes quite high above the creek where the single below grade level might still be above the flood line. Will find out at the meeting tomorrow.

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » February 28th, 2017, 9:15 pm

The lower level is indeed only part of the parking, the lower level parking will be above the 902' flood line by two feet. The ground floor walk out units will be up three or four steps from the sidewalk. The ground floor walk ups would have direct access to the ground floor parking directly behind their units.

Also heard the developer say they are in negotiations to buy the adjacent Wendy's to the north, if that happens this proposal might change to include that parcel.

With Blake Road getting a reconstruction soon they would coordinate the apartments with the street reconstruction. The street reconstruction design has a center median, meaning ingress and egress must be right in, right out. The current apartment is fully occupied and the developer would help current renters locate new places as their leases expire, they would not be terminating leases early.

There will be a rooftop deck. They are going to rehabilitate the creek banks along the entire property and create stone block steps all the way down to the creek for renters, walk right out of the building and launch their kayak or canoe with a few steps. The watershed district has already walked the property and didn't find initial problems with the site layout, the developer mentioned the feedback from the watershed district is that it can only improve the stormwater flow, which today washes directly from the parking lot into the creek untreated. The developer says they will be holding stormwater from the site in underground cisterns ... there was a bit of skepticism over this considering the proximity of the wetland. The developer mentioned their other sites in Edina have had high water tables and they could fit lower level parking, and stormwater storage and fit it all. They will be doing borings to determine the water table level, if it comes in too high the developer said they may not do the project at all and continue with basic rehab of the existing building.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 15th, 2017, 10:07 pm

The Hopkins 8th Avenue ARTery project will finally begin work this April.

http://sailor.mnsun.com/2017/03/15/hopk ... -in-april/

The story mentions some of the winning art installations and where they will be placed. I can't wait for this!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 17th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Here is a link to the January presentation of the ARTery project.

https://www.bolton-menk.com/clients/hop ... tation.pdf

Check it out, nice site plans to zoom in to. There have been many improvements to make this a really great project to look forward to, the only change I wish was made would be to put the "shared use path" along the north side of Excelsior to the north side of 2nd Street.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » March 17th, 2017, 10:26 pm

I kind of which they could of started earlier or later so that construction wouldn't interfere with the Raspberry Festival in July, specifically Saturday and Sunday when its already kind of a nightmare trying to navigate downtown, but you cant have everything.

Also I'm willing to bet once the Artery is finished, there will be an attempt next festival to get some stalls on 8th street instead of them mainly centering on main street and central park, or at least change some of the hanging lights to raspberry shaped ones.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 7th, 2017, 6:42 pm

I've really begun to prefer the new Cottageville Park the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District and city of Hopkins collaborated together to create. It feels like a gem of a park, long overdue for the east side of Hopkins.

I biked over there today, Sunday afternoon to let my six-year-old play as I walked around taking photos of the PPL Oxford Village development. I wished I could have gotten a photo of the north side along Oxford to show how the street of single story duplexes looks with the 3–4 story apartments across the street. IMO, I think the massing fits very well. Oh well.

Here are a few photos while I walked around showing the progress and the context of the apartments next to the new creekside park.

ImagePPL's Oxford Village almost done by Eric Anondson, on Flickr
Just before I took this shot a canoe full with three people and coolers floated through.

Note: The apartment in the exact center of the view had a proposed five story market rate apartments come to the city planning and zoning. That's the Wendy's the developer of the proposal is negotiating to purchase for a possible larger development proposal if the restaurant can be bought.

You can see how near it will be to Blake Road right now, but it will get even closer when the Blake Road reconstruction begins because there will a multiuse trail built to replace the sidewalk that man is walking along, separated from the traffic lanes by about a 3' buffer between the curb and 10'-wide multiuse path.

You can see how near the units are to the new park's playground equipment and community gardens. At the right, the east side of Oxford Village is about a 30–40 foot wide space where a future public path connecting the neighborhood to Cottageville Park will be added. While I was walking around I saw a dozen kids on bikes and kick scooters fly down Blake from the apartments and duplexes, that path creates a nice short cut.

This is a sort of dead end alley/woonerf where people can store their car to access Cottageville Park and access the parking at Oxford Village. Behind the view and to the right is alley access for the remaining four duplexes.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 8th, 2017, 8:39 am

Thanks for the updates!

Is there a date by which we'll have an update on the Wendy's site? Gotta admit, I like having a Wendy's nearby, but I'd be okay with losing it in the name of responsible urban redevelopment.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2017, 9:43 am

I haven't heard any more about the Wendy's site. The developer sounded optimistic about his chances for it though. It's an old mid-century repurposed building.

I live south of this park and site and I find I'm equidistant between this Wendy's and the one on 11th and Excelsior by downtown Hopkins.

I spoke with city staff some months back and while it isn't in any city plan the staff person mentioned it was their personal hope to see the restaurants (DQ and Wendy's both) be redeveloped to residential someday because there is an unfortunate amount of driveways accessing the parking and drive thrus from Blake right there.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 9th, 2017, 9:29 am

Interesting....thanks again for the updates! It's nice to see SLP and Hopkins continue to evolve and adapt/progress (esp. now that we live in SLP)! I'll have to take my girls to that park -- it looks like they'd love it, and it's really close for us.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2017, 12:25 am

Hopkins signed an agreement with Artspace to team up and search for places to redevelop into artist housing in the city.

http://www.startribune.com/hopkins-look ... 427098091/

Does Artspace build new construction or mostly remodel existing?

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » June 8th, 2017, 10:58 am

They do both new and redevelopment. They are working on a new project right now in the Harrison neighborhood - 100 units

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » August 12th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Took some photos of some of the progress around the Moline, far from complete but enough there for something to look at

Also the Moline museum is apparently open, you just have to use the buzzer at the entrance and someone at the front desk will open the door.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Nice value per acre look at Hopkins here.

https://twitter.com/JamesWardenMN/statu ... 3767939072

I enjoy how Interlachan Park is about the same category as Presidents. Or how Presidents turns out about the same value per acre as Parkwood Knolls in Edina. A lot of St. Albans at the north tip of Hopkins are huge lots of expensive homes, turns out Hopkins gets less value from St. Albans than the low income townhouses south of Excelsior.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Hopkins - General Topics

Postby Anondson » November 3rd, 2017, 7:57 pm

I was reading from the upcoming November 6 city council agenda that the Cold Storage building, owned by the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District, will have the lone tenant, Deli Express, vacate at the end on 2017. MCWD will then demolish the Cold Storage building ASAP.

The building needs to be demolished before the beginning of the Blake Road reconstruction because the new multi use trails (and a lot of infrastructure designed to be buried under the trails) are designed to essentially clip through a corner of the existing offices of the Cold Storage building.

Once the building is gone, site remediation and clean up will begin. Estimated to cost over $3 million to clean up, some of which for asbestos. The city is going to apply for Met Council’s Tax Base Revitalization Account TOD funds to help pay the cleanup costs.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 4th, 2017, 7:58 am

What’s to happen to the rest of the site, once cleaned?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 4th, 2017, 10:41 am

Last I heard at a Blake Road meeting earlier this year, still to be decided. But MCWD wants to have a mixed use site with at least mostly housing and retail along Blake Road. Along the creek with be a new recreation path and stormwater features.